News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Does anyone know a totally free video editing software for PC...

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 06, 2020, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

...a 10 year old could use?

My niece wants to start creating Youtube gaming videos and I don't want to edit her videos for her.  ;D She'll have to learn how to do it all herself so it would have to have an easy-to-use, intuitive interface. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

I'm using Wondershare Filmora9 (link) right now.
Compared to other video software, it's got a lot of the usual features and is easy to use. Adding in things like text, effects, transitions, and cutting things up is pretty easy.

I made this video with it:

It also does animated gifs really well and really easily. I made this one from screen recording one of my games.

You can try it for free, but it's like $40 USD/year.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

That looks cool, Davin! I like the transitions.

Did you video capture using that software as well? I installed OBS Studio on her computer and after a few test runs I just can't seem to be able to get the frame rate right. The recorded video stutters. Could be that it's an old computer but I don't know. :shrug:

I'll check Filmora9 out.   :thumbsup: Thanks!

hermes2015

Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2020, 03:18:02 PM
I'm using Wondershare Filmora9 (link) right now.
Compared to other video software, it's got a lot of the usual features and is easy to use. Adding in things like text, effects, transitions, and cutting things up is pretty easy.

I made this video with it:

It also does animated gifs really well and really easily. I made this one from screen recording one of my games.

You can try it for free, but it's like $40 USD/year.

I agree with your recommendation. I've looked at many free video editors and Filmora is one of the best.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2020, 03:27:47 PM

Did you video capture using that software as well? I installed OBS Studio on her computer and after a few test runs I just can't seem to be able to get the frame rate right. The recorded video stutters. Could be that it's an old computer but I don't know. :shrug:

I capture using OBS Studio. If the computer is slower, you might want to adjust the recording resolution and come to a compromise between that and the framerate.

Edit: Also, sometimes the type of recording can mess up the frame rate as well. I have different settings between regular capturing and streaming, and OBS Studio seems to have things set up for streaming. Also, the faster video formats do not recover after an interuption, where as the default one and a few more can. So you might need to weigh the risks between the app crashing a losing a session or recovering that session but having frame rate issues.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2020, 07:33:20 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2020, 03:27:47 PM

I capture using OBS Studio. If the computer is slower, you might want to adjust the recording resolution and come to a compromise between that and the framerate.

Edit: Also, sometimes the type of recording can mess up the frame rate as well. I have different settings between regular capturing and streaming, and OBS Studio seems to have things set up for streaming. Also, the faster video formats do not recover after an interuption, where as the default one and a few more can. So you might need to weigh the risks between the app crashing a losing a session or recovering that session but having frame rate issues.

Filmora is great, but the free version has a huge ugly watermark. Unless her rich uncle wants to pay for the a subscription it ain't happenin'  :tapemouth:

I was able to fix the framerate!  :thumbsup: Turns out less fps were better, and removed the stutter. 

xSilverPhinx

I used kdenlive to edit the video. This is the finished product. :grin: Even though we had plenty of creative differences, she had full creative control, I just edited.  :P

Turned out pretty well for a first!  :smug:

(Proud aunt!)

Davin

That's good. Though personally I don't get what the kids are into these days.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 07, 2020, 06:44:17 PM
That's good. Though personally I don't get what the kids are into these days.

Me neither. :shrug:

Something to do with something called Roblox, she told me matter-of-factly.

:geezersay: When I was a youngling I was into games such as Doom II (PC), Tomb Raider (PC), Mario 3 (NES) and the hilariously vulgar Conker's Bad Fur Day (Nintendo 64).

I miss all those polygons. :tellmemore:

Davin

There a bunch of indie games that have adopted the PlayStation 1 and N64 style.

Like pixel art, it has become an art style itself. I think it's great.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 08, 2020, 06:26:04 PM
There a bunch of indie games that have adopted the PlayStation 1 and N64 style.

Like pixel art, it has become an art style itself. I think it's great.

Heh, feels like I've woken up in the late 90s, early 2000s again. :grin: