News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on January 31, 2020, 01:48:33 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 30, 2020, 11:25:22 AM
Hello there :grin:

"...the likelihood of symptom improvement requires trustworthy data relevant to the specific profile of each patient."

Is it ok to say 'trustworthy data'? Or is something like 'reliable data' more adequate in this context? :notsure:

To me 'trustworthy' seems to be something honest and erm...worthy of trust but that's not the main idea here. What they're going for is the idea that their data is robust enough to be replicated.

On re-reading your initial request I would word it "...the likelihood of symptom improvement requires reliable data pertaining to the specific profile of each patient."

That's good, thanks Bluenose! ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

What do you call a private home that has been completely paid off? :notsure:

Recusant

A phrase that I've heard used is something along the lines of "X owns her home free and clear."

QuoteFree and clear means there are no encumbrances secured to the property such as a lien or mortgage.

[source]

This may be a US-centric phrase, and it wouldn't surprise me if the UK and Australia use different terminology.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 17, 2020, 03:17:09 PM
A phrase that I've heard used is something along the lines of "X owns her home free and clear."

QuoteFree and clear means there are no encumbrances secured to the property such as a lien or mortgage.

[source]

This may be a US-centric phrase, and it wouldn't surprise me if the UK and Australia use different terminology.

Cool, I've never heard that term before.  :thumbsup:

xSilverPhinx

Ok, another stupid question: what do you call a property/house which still has financial encumbrances attached to it? Specifically one still owned by a lender such as a bank.

billy rubin

i dont think there is a single term in non-jargon language, but a house that iz paid for is often referred to as "mortgage-free," or informally az "paid-off."

like, "it took twenty years to get our house paid-off .  . ."

or, "we still owe, but it will be paid-off next year.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 17, 2020, 06:56:34 PM
i dont think there is a single term in non-jargon language, but a house that iz paid for is often referred to as "mortgage-free," or informally az "paid-off."

like, "it took twenty years to get our house paid-off .  . ."

or, "we still owe, but it will be paid-off next year.

Yeah, I need something a just formal enough to go in a questionnaire  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 06:52:09 PM
Ok, another stupid question: what do you call a property/house which still has financial encumbrances attached to it? Specifically one still owned by a lender such as a bank.

So could such a property be called "mortgaged"? :notsure:

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 07:03:04 PM

Not a stupid question. Yes, mortgaged is correct, and people do use the term, though "in mortgage" is more standard usage. See "Can You Sell Your Property While in Mortgage?"
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on February 17, 2020, 08:35:21 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 07:03:04 PM

Not a stupid question. Yes, mortgaged is correct, and people do use the term, though "in mortgage" is more standard usage. See "Can You Sell Your Property While in Mortgage?"

Thanks, Recusant! :grin:

xSilverPhinx

'Mortgage' is such a strange word. Sounds like death. Maybe that's adequate. :notsure:

ETA: Heh, I knew the 'mort' sounded familiar!

Quote... from Old French mort gage ("death pledge")...

Mortgage|Wiktionary

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 07:02:27 PM

sometimes semi-formal documents like automobile titles refer to "existing liens," where a lien is a claim on the property by a creditor.

" i can't sell my house because there is an existing lien on it . . ."

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 17, 2020, 10:54:39 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 07:02:27 PM

sometimes semi-formal documents like automobile titles refer to "existing liens," where a lien is a claim on the property by a creditor.

" i can't sell my house because there is an existing lien on it . . ."

:thumbsup:

xSilverPhinx

Hello again :grin:

I have a question regarding "sooner" and "earlier".

Would you say something like:

"Loss of memory precision occurs earlier in adolescent males compared to females" or "loss of memory precision occurs sooner in adolescent males compared to females" :notsure:

The idea is that males lose memory precision at around 14 days while females at around 28 days. Half the time. 

Tank

Either works but I prefer 'earlier' in this context.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.