News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Marginalized sports

Started by viocjit, July 17, 2019, 02:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viocjit

I'd like to speak with you about marginalized sports in the media (TV , Radio , Magazines about sport , Internet etc...).
In North America sports like American football , Basketball and Baseball are popular.
But outside of North America the existence of US football and baseball are known but these sports aren't popular and the majority of those living outside of N.America don't known rules of these sports with the exception of Japan in which baseball is popular.

In Europe soccer is a popular sport but it's not popular in North America.
In Europe basketball is less popular than soccer and basketball is less popular in Europe than in North America.
Handball is more popular in Europe than North America and this sport doesn't seem to be known by the majority of people living in North America.

Australian football , Beach soccer , Gaelic football , Floorball , Korfball and many others sports aren't highly mediatized.
What to do in order to favorize marginalized sports in media ? What's yours ideas ?

jumbojak

A lot of marginalized sports are very technical and require a fairly sophisticated grasp of what's going on to be interesting. Take boxing and wrestling, for example. Both are combat sports but only boxing has a real following by casual observers.

Why is that? It's because boxing is relatively simple to follow. Two players punch each other above the waist while moving around the ring for three minute intervals with one minute breaks. For all of the nuance that the sport has to offer that's the basic idea and even a brand new spectator can grasp who is doing well and who is doing poorly in a particular bout.

Wrestling is much, much more complicated to watch. The goal may be as simple as throwing and pinning your opponent, but understanding position in wrestling well enough to know who is doing well and who is dominating the match is very challenging. If you don't know what you are looking at it's pretty much two dudes grabbing each other. Very few people aside from current and former wrestlers watch wrestling.

I suspect that the same is true for other sports. Cricket may be fascinating if you know the game and come to it from a culture steeped in cricket as a way of life and recreation, but if you don't it looks like this:

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: viocjit on July 17, 2019, 02:23:21 AM

Did you not notice the USA winning the World Cup?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Viocjit is actually right about our interest in Soccer.  There is usually an avalanche of interest in an international sports event if an American team is doing well.  The American women most recently did well.   After a few weeks the interest and enthusiasm will subside.  We will then focus our attention on whatever the next seasonal sport happens to be.

Baseball is currently in full swing because it is normally a summer game.   By September the interest will shift to American football, particularly college football. Football is almost a national disease that threatens our society because of the intensities of the rivalries.  It is not unusual for a stadium to have as many as a hundred thousand football fans who pay up to a hundred dollars for a ticket to see their team compete with a worthy opposing team.   The head coach of the most successful teams receive salaries in the 10 figure range. In the college game the players are paid nothing.  In the professional game the players are paid astronomical sums. ...........Many of us are football crazy here.

We have other so called sports that are uniquely American, such as auto racing.  The Uniquely American part is that  We race derelict appearing family cars around short oval shaped tracks of less than a kilometer in length.  There are race tracks all over the country that have regular Saturday night races throughout the spring, summer, and fall seasons.  Some of those tracks are paved and some of them are clay dirt tracks.  European race cars are a whole other deal.  They do not look like a family sedan, and they cost an incredible amount of money.  Some of our Saturday night cars have high tech engines and suspension systems.  Not at the level of the Formula One cars but very advanced none the less.  Many of us are also race car crazy.   Saturday night racers and spectators are often thought of as "red necks" or those of diminished capacity.  There are a lot of us in that category too.

After football, basketball season will emerge.   College teams will compete with one another through out the winter season and the most successful of them will have qualified to compete in a highly regarded national tournament.  The aim is to determine who will become the national champions.  That tournament is in the month of March.  The event is commonly regarded as  "March Madness".  We are also crazy for Basketball but only during the heat of the final battles.

Bad Penny II

It's full moonish, I went out the back in the cold winter night stared up into the forever and asked god, what's his take on sport?

He told me people should do their own thing and there should be no big business involved.

He told you what you thought should be was?

Ye
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

viocjit

Quote from: Tank on July 17, 2019, 01:07:21 PM
Quote from: viocjit on July 17, 2019, 02:23:21 AM

Did you not notice the USA winning the World Cup?

USA did never won the FIFA World Cup (When males are playing soccer) but my country France won it two time.
The first time was in 1998. It was "France VS Brazil" and France won with a score of "3 - 0".
This match happened in Saint-Denis in the département (Litteraly department meaning county) in the administrative region of Île-de-France in France. If you did never hear about this city I advise you to read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Denis,_Seine-Saint-Denis
The second time was in 2018. It was "France VS Croatia" and France won with a score of "4 - 2".
This match happened in "Moscow" the capital of Russian Federation.

France did never won the FIFA Women's World Cup but United States of America won it four time.
The first time was in 1991. It was "USA VS Norway" and USA won with a score of "2 - 1".
This match happened in Guangzhou (Capital of Guandong Province) in People's Republic of China. If you did never hear about this city I advise you to read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangzhou
The second time was in 1999. It was "USA VS China" and USA won with a score of "5 - 4" in a penalty shoot-out.
This match happened in Pasadena in the County of Los Angeles , California in USA. If you did never hear about this city I advise you to read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasadena,_California.
The third time was in 2015. It was "USA VS Japan" and USA won with a score of "5 - 2".
This match happened in Vancouver in the Province of British Columbia in Canada. If you did never hear about this city I advise you to read this :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver
The fourth time was in 2019. It was "USA VS Netherlands" and USA won with a score of "2 - 0".
This match happened in Lyon in the metropole of the same name in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes an administrative region of France. If you did never hear about this city I advise you to read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyon

Source about FIFA World Cup : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup#Results
Source about FIFA Women's World Cup : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup#Hosts_and_results

Tom62

Talking about marginalized sports, has anyone of you ever seen a korfball match?
It is a ball sport, with similarities to netball and basketball. It is played by two teams of eight players with four female players and four male players in each team. The objective is to throw a ball into a netless basket that is mounted on a 3.5 m (11.5 feet) high pole. I loved to play it at school.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

In Brazil women's team sports are mostly marginalised. Even in the case of soccer/football, though that's changing and they're getting more media coverage and better sponsors. Still not as much as men's sports, though. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

The women's game is every bit as athletic, technically excellent,  and sometimes more exciting than the men's game.  Too bad  those chauvinists deny that reality.

Tank

Cricket is only marginally less boring than bass ball. However the last hour of the recent cricket world cup was without doubt one of the most exciting hours of sport I have ever witnessed!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

viocjit

Do you know what is CONIFA World Football Cup ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONIFA_World_Football_Cup
Do you know what are NatWest International Island Games ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Games
Do you know what is Muratti Vase ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muratti_Vase