Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Politics, History & Mathmatics?

Started by British_Atheist, June 30, 2010, 01:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

British_Atheist

I saw on another forum this: -

Politics & History
This forum is to discuss politics & history in relation to atheism.

Mathematics
Discussions involving mathematics. By the way, did you know that 0.999... = 1?

Was wondering if you could do a section on both of these?
"I am an atheist, and if an atheist and a pope think the same things, there must be something true. There must be some human truth that is beyond religion".
Oriana Fallaci

Will

You may have a point. Perhaps it's time to reexamine the labeling of the subforums.

We'll certainly take this under advisement. Thanks for the suggestion!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Caecilian

I'm not sure if there'd be much call for a Mathematics forum. However, a Politics forum would be a very good idea. At present, political issues tend to get spread out between several different forums (Current Affairs, Media, Religion, Philosophy).

hismikeness

QuoteBy the way, did you know that 0.999... = 1?

I've actually had sleepless nights over this. I've seen the proofs, and they make sense, but it just pisses me off because 1=1, not .999...
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

jduster

Yes, changing the forum subdivisions would be nice.  Politics and history will get a good discussion, though I don't expect more than 3 topics in the Mathematics section.

.999 =/= 1

As a logical error, only 1 can equal one.  Equal means both values are the same (X = X).
Of course, people come up with this by dividing 1 by 3.
1/3 = .333, and multiplying that by 3 is .999, and therefore .999 = 1.
But that is wrong.  Simply because 1 cannot be evenly divided by 3.  There is still a remainder of .1