Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2020, 12:42:51 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 10, 2020, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2020, 06:47:42 PM
A pipe burst in the bathroom adjacent to my bedroom yesterday, I spent all morning mopping up water from the floor.

Wanna know what the worst thing was? I didn't even notice until my room was already flooded! My feet were up on the chair and I had my headphones on. It was raining yesterday so I attributed the faint gushing sound I heard in the background to the rain outside and paid no attention to it at all. It was only when I put my feet down to get up from the chair that I felt the cold water soaking my feet to the bone.

Old house plumbing!  :grrr: This was the second time the exact thing happened within a year!  :sulk:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2020, 09:30:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2020, 12:42:51 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 10, 2020, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2020, 06:47:42 PM
A pipe burst in the bathroom adjacent to my bedroom yesterday, I spent all morning mopping up water from the floor.

Wanna know what the worst thing was? I didn't even notice until my room was already flooded! My feet were up on the chair and I had my headphones on. It was raining yesterday so I attributed the faint gushing sound I heard in the background to the rain outside and paid no attention to it at all. It was only when I put my feet down to get up from the chair that I felt the cold water soaking my feet to the bone.

Old house plumbing!  :grrr: This was the second time the exact thing happened within a year!  :sulk:

Yes.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Asshats that don't know how blinking red light works.

No one

Asshats that don't know how a merge lane works.

Icarus

I have had all sorts of annoying difficulty while attempting to post pictures. So much difficulty that my mental capacity is being called into question.  My computer is also being called into question. It uses Win 10 and has some unwelcome quirks

From time to time Microsoft seizes my computer to install "upgrades".  One of the upgrades is the evil, unwanted, Microsoft Edge that insists on trying to displace the Firefox system that I prefer. .  Looking into Google help,I find that  parts of Edge are permanently imbedded in the system. They cannot be removed without disturbing the hard drive...or so I am told. 

One of the glitches is that I cannot minimize a window and bring up another window at the same time. The little symbol in the task bar is not there most of the times but sometimes it is.  The mini Calculator symbol in the task bar  always comes up when I minimize it.  But my Imgur account, and few of the others, does not work that way, insofar as I can ascertain.

This izz the Grumpy thread, Right?

Randy

I think I've been fortunate so far in that I have Windows 10 and Firefox running without any issues. I've heard about others having problems in the past. Maybe the next update my luck will run out.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tom62

Quote from: billy rubin on July 27, 2020, 05:34:30 PM
// sysin dd *

Oh, no! That is more than enough to become grumpy. IBM is the source of all evil. Dinosaur mainframes running stuff that is even older than me. Not to mention EBCDIC, which has given software developers nightmares for years.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

lol

i used to code JCL in my sleep, i think

i was once told about someone who could read an 80 column card by looking at the punch-outs. that takes a level of nuts that i dont ever want to share.

Randy

I used to be able to read some Zilog machine code and translate it into assembly. It wasn't perfect but I could spot a relative jump or a call command in a debugger pretty quickly.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

like egyptian heiroglyphics to people these days.

Randy

Back to being grumpy: I did something dumb just now. It will need a little explanation first.

Way back when I used to do something called a "bolus" feeding which was to pour two cups of formula into the back of a syringe and into my stomach. Somewhere along the way the hospital changed it to a pump to gradually inject it into my feeding tube.

Today, we ran out of feeding bags for the pump -- partially our fault. We'll have some in tomorrow. In the meantime, however, I went back to a bolus feed only with one carton which is the equivalent of a cup. I forgot to take something for nausea before I did it. I regret it. I did crush a pill and put it in right after.

I'm going to have to do this bolus feeding thing every two hours to get all six of them in by tonight.

Tom62

The latest Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop completely. After the update I got a black screen of death. Couldn't uninstall the update, repair didn't work, nor could I go back to a previous system restore point The only thing that did work was to reset it to the factory settings. After that the painful process of reinstalling the software and user data started.
No data was lost, but I would have wished that a Windows restore would have been just as easy as a Time Machine restore on a Mac.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 17, 2020, 08:41:13 PM
Damn, that sucks, Tom.

Thanks, Silver .At least I'm glad that I'm on vacation now, so that I had the time to fix it. Having an up-to-date backup set around also eases the mind. Nevertheless you lose a lot of time with this kind of crap.
Robert A. Heinlein