News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

George Floyd: Jury finds Derek Chauvin guilty of murder

Started by Tank, April 21, 2021, 07:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Tom62

I was a bit worried that he would not be convicted of murder.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

If you can't win when you have a video of the murder, you might as well quit trying cases.

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 21, 2021, 06:24:57 PM
If you can't win when you have a video of the murder, you might as well quit trying cases.
There have been a lot of cases with videos where the cop walked free.

Normally, it's with a gun and the dirty trick the police defense uses is to take all context out the of consideration of the jury and reduce it down to the split second right before the cop shoots. Here in AZ an unarmed man was shot and killed in a hotel, when the video was cut down to the split second before the cop shot him, the part of the video the jury was allowed to see, the man reached back and "could" have been him reaching for a weapon. The cop walked and is still working as a cop. But if you watch the whole video, it's clear the man is unarmed and was simply pulling his shorts up. Imagine being shot and killed for pulling your shorts up.

Anyway, it was a lot more difficult for the police defense to pull the same bullshit because the cop kneeled on the man for 9 minutes, long after he went limp. So even if this helps future cases, it won't solve the current problems with putting cops on trial for murdering people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.