Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Why God?

Started by Tank, September 04, 2011, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

im not much of a video person, gnostic.

can you summarize your thoughts?

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, give it to us in 250 words.

Magdalena

I'm fine with a 50-word sentence.  :shrug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: billy rubin on December 12, 2021, 08:55:06 PM

Material man wants to be King.

Our spiritual side wants to be God.

Regards
DL

billy rubin

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on December 17, 2021, 09:07:45 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on December 12, 2021, 08:55:06 PM

Material man wants to be King.

Our spiritual side wants to be God.

Regards
DL

okay. thank you.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billyportne

According to C. S. Lewis, author of "Mere Christianity", primitive humans created Sky Gods as a result of numinous awe, the superstitious idea that powerful beings were the cause of thunder, lightning and other natural phenomena they couldn't explain.

According to the Apostle Paul, we have no excuse for not believing that God exists. We can see the world he created, and that should cause us to take a leap of faith. Then he contradicts himself by claiming that faith must be based on what we cannot see.

Despite the fact that Paul's brain was more evolved than the brains of our primitive ancestors, his operated in the same superstitious way. Despite the fact that we now have a rational, scientific way to investigate and understand natural phenomena, the brains of millions of people still operate in a primitive, superstitious way.

We don't need a Sky God to explain gaps in our knowledge of the natural world. And there's nothing up there in the sky or down here on the ground that compels us to worship a god in fear and awe. A beautiful sunrise, stars twinkling in the night sky, a majestic mountain, a frozen waterfall, colorful birds tending their nest, thunder, lightning, cheese cake, great sex... those are some of the things that trigger awe in my brain.

Here's a story that demonstrates, at least to my satisfaction, that humans can leap to a superstitious conclusion whether they have a big brain or not. I call it... 

Reality—What a Concept!

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. They set up their tent and fell asleep. Several hours later, Tonto woke the Lone Ranger.
"Kemo Sabe, look up. What you see?"
"Uh, millions of stars."
"What that tell you, Kemo Sabe?"
Well, astronomically it tells me there are millions of galaxies in the universe. Astronomically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it tells me it's about a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, it tells me that God is awesome and that we are small and insignificant. And meteorologically it tells me that tomorrow will be a bright sunny day. What does it tell you, Tonto?"
"Kemo Sabe! You dumber than buffalo. It means someone stole our tent!"
Happiness is like moonshine. Make your own and you'll never run out. But keep in mind that life is not a playground. It's a classroom where you get the test first and the lesson after.

Icarus

^ :puppysnicker: For the Kemo Sabe bit.

Tank

Quote from: billyportne on February 12, 2022, 10:41:15 PM
According to C. S. Lewis, author of "Mere Christianity", primitive humans created Sky Gods as a result of numinous awe, the superstitious idea that powerful beings were the cause of thunder, lightning and other natural phenomena they couldn't explain.

According to the Apostle Paul, we have no excuse for not believing that God exists. We can see the world he created, and that should cause us to take a leap of faith. Then he contradicts himself by claiming that faith must be based on what we cannot see.

Despite the fact that Paul's brain was more evolved than the brains of our primitive ancestors, his operated in the same superstitious way. Despite the fact that we now have a rational, scientific way to investigate and understand natural phenomena, the brains of millions of people still operate in a primitive, superstitious way.

We don't need a Sky God to explain gaps in our knowledge of the natural world. And there's nothing up there in the sky or down here on the ground that compels us to worship a god in fear and awe. A beautiful sunrise, stars twinkling in the night sky, a majestic mountain, a frozen waterfall, colorful birds tending their nest, thunder, lightning, cheese cake, great sex... those are some of the things that trigger awe in my brain.

Here's a story that demonstrates, at least to my satisfaction, that humans can leap to a superstitious conclusion whether they have a big brain or not. I call it... 

Reality—What a Concept!

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. They set up their tent and fell asleep. Several hours later, Tonto woke the Lone Ranger.
"Kemo Sabe, look up. What you see?"
"Uh, millions of stars."
"What that tell you, Kemo Sabe?"
Well, astronomically it tells me there are millions of galaxies in the universe. Astronomically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it tells me it's about a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, it tells me that God is awesome and that we are small and insignificant. And meteorologically it tells me that tomorrow will be a bright sunny day. What does it tell you, Tonto?"
"Kemo Sabe! You dumber than buffalo. It means someone stole our tent!"

I think one of the problems humanity faces is that all the brains of people still operate in a primitive, superstitious way when we are first born. That's the point were religions re-infect the next generation. When rabbits give birth the fleas of the mother congregate on her nose and jump onto the new borns' as she licks them clean. A similar process happens as children grow.

Many people never lose their necessary childhood gullibility.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

One needs to think, in order to overcome gullibility.

Biggus Dickus

I was having lunch today, and I asked "shall I have an extra vegan meatball?" Then I looked randomly at my bowl of pasta. The fettuccine was in the shape of a smile ;D

A sure sign from the great FSM that they approved of more meatballs.

Ramen
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 25, 2022, 07:42:23 PM
I was having lunch today, and I asked "shall I have an extra vegan meatball?" Then I looked randomly at my bowl of pasta. The fettuccine was in the shape of a smile ;D

A sure sign from the great FSM that they approved of more meatballs.

Ramen

;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Holy Friday

O Lord of Noodliest Noodles,

Please bless us on this holiest of holy days; Friday.
On this day, which we devote to You,
May our noodles never go soft. (Looking at you Bad Penny II)
My all of your loyal followers be touched by Your noodly appendage,
And may our grog ever be cool and drinkable in Thy name.

RAmen.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 27, 2022, 12:59:19 AM
Holy Friday

O Lord of Noodliest Noodles,

Please bless us on this holiest of holy days; Friday.
On this day, which we devote to You,
Bless his Holy Oodles Of Noodliest Noodles.

May our noodles never go soft. (Looking at you Bad Penny II)
That's not necessary

My all of your loyal followers be touched by Your noodly appendage,
With consent, of course.

And may our grog ever be cool and drinkable in Thy name.

RAmen.

RAmen.

If that's OK with you.

Magdalena

This prayer should go to Dionysus, Bless His Holy Plump Cabernet Grapes.  :notsure:

No one

Not sure how to break it to you Raps, but that's not Cabernet.