News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Ass Wednesday

Started by Biggus Dickus, February 15, 2021, 06:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Good job, Mags.  You probably had to cast a spell or two on your man to keep him in line.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 16, 2021, 08:11:54 PM

I think there is some some scriptural reference, but it's quite vague if I remember...anyway that's what I remember. I hope I did well Sister Agatha! (Probably not, I'm sure I'll get smacked with her wooden pointer) :-X

It could be related to the "sackcloth and ashes" that was used in biblical fasts. Lent is a sort of fast, in that you deprive yourself of something.  I think having no heat and water down here is probably fast enough - sort of a forced Lent.  Not being Catholic, I don't feel the need.  But I know those who do.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2021, 10:45:58 PM
Quote from: Randy on February 16, 2021, 07:57:42 PM
I never understood the reason for the ashes on the forehead although I confess I've never researched it either. Does the ash represent Christ's cremation? I didn't think that was scriptural though.

The ashes actually come from the Palms burned from the year before celebrations of Palms Sunday...these palms were used to celebrate the beginning of Holy Week.

Then these ashes are used to mark the beginning of Lent (So you have the celebration of the Passion, Death and then the Resurrection of Jesus)

The ashes are placed on the forehead as a sign of repentance from sin, they they usually say the following as they make the sign of the cross with the ashes:  "Remember, man or woman, you are dust and to dust you will return."

I think there is some some scriptural reference, but it's quite vague if I remember...anyway that's what I remember. I hope I did well Sister Agatha! (Probably not, I'm sure I'll get smacked with her wooden pointer) :-X

PB sure knows a lot about Catholic rituals. Methinks all those nuns have had a considerable influence on his life.  ;D :sidesmile:

The lessons learned during 12 years of Catholic school are hard to forget, plus I was actually an altar boy for about 4 years, so I was like a priest in training 8)...Being an altar boy was kinda fun though, I mean it beat sitting in the pews during mass, and I was often picked to serve during weddings and funerals. Weddings were cool, because we often got tips, and funerals were okay because we often got pulled out of school if they were during the week, and sometime there was food.

Once a year during the summer Father Kucyk would take us all down to Tiger Stadium to see the Tigers play baseball. Bleacher seats, so not too fancy, but he let us eat a ton of hot-dogs and get tons of soda-pop!!

The other cool thing was we would sample the wine back in the sacristy as we we're getting everything ready for mass.

Wine and the communion wafers, along with valuable stuff were kept in a large, walk-in safe in the sacristy. Before mass it was our job to make sure everything was set on the alter for mass, which included lighting all of the candles, filling the water and oil containers, making sure there was plenty of wafers in the altar tabernacle, and also wine on the altar.

Some priests just took little sips of wine, and one who had us mix just a little of the wine with water, but there were a couple that instructed us to fill their chalice full (Grin)

One time before mass we were sipping wine from the safe, and next to the safe was a small sink that the priest would use to wash their hands before mass. Old Monsignor Weir kept a glass on the sink that he would use to gargle with before mass. We had filled his glass with some wine, and were taking turns sipping from it when we heard father coming down the hallway from the Rectory. One of the guys dumped the wine out of the glass, and then we all dispersed from the area, but he forgot to rinse the glass out.

Father came in and then we help him put on his vestments, he then checked the altar really quick, and then he took a swig of water from his glass, gurgled the contents and spit it out into the sink.

We then grabbed the cross, candles, and bible we would carry in procession at the start of mass and lined up behind Old Father Weir.

He started heading out into the church, when all of a sudden he stopped, turned around and said, "Next time you boys sample the wine, make sure you rinse my glass out after".

He then turned around and headed out into the church. Us altar boys were looking at each other with horrified looks, I mean you have to understand. Monsignor Weir was one tough son of a bitch, he was a Navy Veteran from WWII who saw combat, and he also was a boxer for a while before deciding to become a priest.
He had a temper and wasn't afraid to smack you on the side of the head if you fucked up....I remember all during mass thinking we were dead meat, but he never brought it up again, and after mass acted like nothing had happened.

After that he earned my respect some...of course we never, ever used his glass again (We did keep sampling the wine, I mean let's face it we were young idiots)

Anyway, happy Ass Wednesday everyone!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2021, 10:45:58 PM
Quote from: Randy on February 16, 2021, 07:57:42 PM
I never understood the reason for the ashes on the forehead although I confess I've never researched it either. Does the ash represent Christ's cremation? I didn't think that was scriptural though.

The ashes actually come from the Palms burned from the year before celebrations of Palms Sunday...these palms were used to celebrate the beginning of Holy Week.

Then these ashes are used to mark the beginning of Lent (So you have the celebration of the Passion, Death and then the Resurrection of Jesus)

The ashes are placed on the forehead as a sign of repentance from sin, they they usually say the following as they make the sign of the cross with the ashes:  "Remember, man or woman, you are dust and to dust you will return."

PB sure knows a lot about Catholic rituals. Methinks all those nuns have had a considerable influence on his life.  ;D :sidesmile:

It was from all those educational visits to the Sisters of Mercy.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 17, 2021, 11:16:59 PM
Good job, Mags.  You probably had to cast a spell or two on your man to keep him in line.
Thanks, Ecurb Noselrub.
But it was really the other way around.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2021, 10:44:05 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 16, 2021, 07:32:53 PM
Thanks for the info.
I always forget these things and I tell people, "You have something on your forehead."
They look at me weird.  :snicker:

Anyways, today my man and I are celebrating our 19 year anniversary. For a minute there, I didn't think we were gonna make it.  :argue:
But we did.
Las Guanacas calientes saber ser fiel, por años.  :snooty:

Congrats, Mags! :heyhey:
:hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

6,940 days with the same human being is quite an impressive accomplishment. Best wishes for 6,940+ more.

I can barely manage 6.940 seconds.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on February 18, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
6,940 days with the same human being is quite an impressive accomplishment. Best wishes for 6,940+ more.

I can barely manage 6.940 seconds.
:lol:
Thank you, No one.
I had never looked at it like that.

I guess living with someone else for that long is like this for some people...

:picard facepalm:

No one

You're welcome raps. The way you proclaim your endearing love for this man is a testament to your fortitude to resolve any and all hardships. You deserve to be happy.

Your name wouldn't happen to be princess Buttercup, would it?

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on February 19, 2021, 12:40:29 AM
You're welcome raps. The way you proclaim your endearing love for this man is a testament to your fortitude to resolve any and all hardships. You deserve to be happy.

No one...

You Got Heart.

No one

Magdalena

Magdalena

PB, Fat-Tuesday, Ash-Wednesday, what comes next, what are supposed to do next?

No one

Theoretical Thursday
Freaky Friday
Serene Saturday
Sleepy Sunday
Meticulous Monday

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2021, 05:18:06 AM
Quote from: No one on February 19, 2021, 12:40:29 AM

No one...

You Got Heart.

I think Some one hijacked No one's account. :o
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."