News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

It's Sunday. What are you going to do today?

Started by Tank, February 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 21, 2021, 08:20:04 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2021, 08:05:36 AM
Well today is my first 'Mass Womble'. I'm meeting up with some other 'Wombles' a few minutes walk away and then we're going to clear up the litter on the verges of one of the main roads into Leeds.

This afternoon I'm going to be experimenting with 'bullet hinges'.

Good luck with your shot at bullet hinges.

Where did I leave my ban hammer?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2021, 08:59:37 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 21, 2021, 08:20:04 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2021, 08:05:36 AM
Well today is my first 'Mass Womble'. I'm meeting up with some other 'Wombles' a few minutes walk away and then we're going to clear up the litter on the verges of one of the main roads into Leeds.

This afternoon I'm going to be experimenting with 'bullet hinges'.

Good luck with your shot at bullet hinges.

Where did I leave my ban hammer?

:evilgrin:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

what is a bullet hinge? the ones without screw plates?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Sometimes known as a barrel hinge. Has anybody got any experience of using them?

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Well did 2 hours of litter picking. There were 8 or so people out and one family stopped and joined in. I actually found a tiny little plastic zip-lock bag with white powder in it! Can't imagine what it is. And I'm not going to try it either!  ;D

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2021, 01:01:08 PM
Sometimes known as a barrel hinge. Has anybody got any experience of using them?

that is absolutely not what americans call a bullet hinge. over here it's a weld-on hinge without screwplates, for tight clearanace hinges.

how do you set them up so that are in initial alignment?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on March 21, 2021, 10:28:00 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2021, 01:01:08 PM

that is absolutely not what americans call a bullet hinge. over here it's a weld-on hinge without screwplates, for tight clearanace hinges.

how do you set them up so that are in initial alignment?

I'll tell you when I've done it! I've seen a couple of videos but they aren't too clear. I've had some advice on Facebook.

Dark Lightning

If it were me installing those hinges, I'd have an alignment tool. I guess if they press in (I've never used them either) it might be a problem getting them aligned. But if they set in epoxy, I'd put them in both the lid and the box, and then open and close the lid...slowly and carefully. The epoxy wouldn't be cured, so the hinges would self-align.

Here's a different type of barrel hinge that is easier to install and adjust-

Well, shit, that borked.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 21, 2021, 11:12:36 PM
If it were me installing those hinges, I'd have an alignment tool. I guess if they press in (I've never used them either) it might be a problem getting them aligned. But if they set in epoxy, I'd put them in both the lid and the box, and then open and close the lid...slowly and carefully. The epoxy wouldn't be cured, so the hinges would self-align.

Here's a different type of barrel hinge that is easier to install and adjust-

Well, shit, that borked.

Your advice mirrors what I have been told by others who have used these types of hinges. :)

xSilverPhinx

I'll probably be a little unhinged next Sunday. Just a little bit.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Not a lot on today. Going to fix a couple of bits of my wife's jewellery. May cut the grass. Will take the dogs out for a walk. Roast lamb and baked potatoes for dinner :D

hermes2015

I am preparing an almost zero carbohydrate lasagna with cabbage leaves instead if pasta. Since eliminating carbs from my meals two weeks ago, I have lost more than 2 kg of the weight I've gained since lock-down.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2021, 10:20:20 AM
Not a lot on today. Going to fix a couple of bits of my wife's jewellery. May cut the grass. Will take the dogs out for a walk. Roast lamb and baked potatoes for dinner :D

You've been a bit quiet about the hinges. How did they work out?
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 28, 2021, 11:17:59 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2021, 10:20:20 AM

You've been a bit quiet about the hinges. How did they work out?

I haven't tried them yet. I'm in a state of cogitation before action. I have always tended to do this when approaching something new. I turn an idea around my head for a while. It exasperates my wife!

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 28, 2021, 11:16:24 AM
I am preparing an almost zero carbohydrate lasagna with cabbage leaves instead if pasta. Since eliminating carbs from my meals two weeks ago, I have lost more than 2 kg of the weight I've gained since lock-down.

I foresee flatulence in your future.