News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What are you drinking now?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 25, 2020, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I have before me a 2017 Legende Bordeaux from Barons de Rothschild (thought I'd give them another chance). It's a 60% Cab - 40% Merlot blend.  ABV is only 12%.  There are notes of cassis at the top, and a bit more than average tannin in the aftertaste.  It did pair well with some Stilton cheese that I had in the refrigerator. I'm giving it a 6 - not disappointing, but nothing special. 

I'm finding it hard to locate exceptional French wines in my area.  I may have to branch out to Austin in the near future.

Alex

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

About 3 months ago, I started having episodes of tachycardia at night. It would wake me up, and my heart was doing about 120 bpm. It was quite uncomfortable, and scary. I started tracking it, and saw that it only happened if I had more than 2 drinks that evening. So, I've had to cut down. Basically a glass of beer and a glass of wine, and that's it. The hard stuff is a rarity. It finally caught up with me. On the weekends, if I have something at lunch and then wait until the evening to have anything else, I might squeeze 3 in, but I can't do three after 5:00 pm. I guess it's nature's way of telling me to slow down. I'll be 70 this year, so I've had my fun. I want to live long enough to meet my travel goals, so 2 drinks a night it is.

Biggus Dickus

What do you get if you cross a classic book with an alcoholic drink?

Tequila Mockingbird :o
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

I went up to a local liquor store to redeem my lotto winnings ($13!) got more lotto tickets and an Arrogant Bastard Ale (22 oz). The guy tried to charge me $12. They're $5.99. I told him forget it, but he found the manager- $5.99. I like a strong ale, once in awhile. I buy these about 3 times a month.

TheFightSong

Quote from: billy rubin on December 29, 2020, 06:15:07 PM
...i don't understand how someone could want to be an accountant. not that there's anything wrong, but my mind just doesn't comprehend that type of thinking...
There are people who become accountants for corporations because it usually pays well. There are people who become accountants for non-profit organizations because it has a moral purpose attached. Then, there are people who become accountants because they can do the job and need to eat including paying bills.

billy rubin

i know. but to me being an accountant has no reference point. its like saying i have a rewarding career watching paint dry.

people do it, and we need it done, but it makes no sense to me. but then if ihad my life to live over i would love to be a parasitologist, and pull roundworms out of peoples bums.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 30, 2022, 04:20:23 AM
i know. but to me being an accountant has no reference point. its like saying i have a rewarding career watching paint dry.

people do it, and we need it done, but it makes no sense to me. but then if ihad my life to live over i would love to be a parasitologist, and pull roundworms out of peoples bums.

Says the man who drives across Nebraska for a living. ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

it does seem i spend a lot of time in nebraska

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

TheFightSong

It requires the mentality of an economist and accountant to make sense of accounting in different ways. It is perceived as boring to a specific amount of people. It could be that accounting bores you, which might be why it does not make sense in your mind. Because your mind might refuse to make sense of something that bores you.

Going to drink orange juice eventually.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 30, 2022, 08:39:20 AM

Says the man who drives across Nebraska for a living. ;)

While singing traditional trucking shanties.

A trucking I will go.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

welli admit its a in bit stark in midwinter

but in the springtime when the tornados come alive its a different place

Tank

You must get a lot of time to think?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Thinking leads to drinking, which is what this thread is about. I had my first experience with Bulgarian grape brandy this past week. A doc from Bulgaria, who is employed at our hospital system, gave me a bottle. Better than Mezcal (what isn't?), but does not rise to the Cognac level. Still, quite drinkable.

Now, let's stay on track, here.