News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What are you drinking now?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 25, 2020, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on February 14, 2021, 08:20:38 PM
bruce, what is your opinion of the relative merits of french wines versus american wines of the same genetics?

what distinghushes them. if anything?

I've had good and bad of both US and French, and it all comes down to subjective taste.  If you like it, that's all that matters.  But very generally, I would say that the French reds are generally more drinkable and smooth, but if you want a really full bodied wine an American Cab is going to be at the top of my list.  I generally only drink reds, so if you are a white wine fan this won't apply.  But the best Cabs (the ones I want with a good steak) are American. 

Italian reds rely too much on the Sangiovese grape (as in Chianti) and are too harsh for me.  Some good American Cabs are Frances Coppola in CA and (one of my favs) Becker Vineyards  from Texas. Federalist is also good. 

Ecurb Noselrub

Aujourd'hui, nous dégusterons un vin Malbec.  I have chosen a 2018 Solis Malbec, a Cahors wine from Cosse et Maisonneuve.  Cahors is an area in southwestern France.  This wine has a deep red color and 14.5% ABC.  There are notes of black cherry and spice, but a bit too much tannin for me in the aftertaste.  I really don't like the puckered feeling at the end of some wines, and this one is right on the edge of how much I will accept.  Nevertheless, the taste is good, so I'm giving it a 7.  Bonne journée!

Ecurb Noselrub

2018 Mouton Cadet from Baron Philippe de Rothschild.  This one is ubiquitous in wine stores, and is probably mass produced. I hate to think that anyone gets their only impression of a Bordeaux from this.  It does not measure up to the better ones.  It has 14.5% ABV but is harsh on the tongue (at least to my sensitive palate).  It would be OK for the 3rd glass at a meal, but not to drink by itself.  I'll be generous and give it a 5 - pure average.

Next week I'm graduating to some more serious bacchanalian elixirs.  I need to make a run to a serious establishment to branch out a bit.  Of course, that means spending more money.  Stay tuned!

No one

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 18, 2021, 10:53:17 PM
2018 Mouton Cadet from Baron Philippe de Rothschild.  This one is ubiquitous in wine stores, and is probably mass produced. I hate to think that anyone gets their only impression of a Bordeaux from this.  It does not measure up to the better ones.  It has 14.5% ABV but is harsh on the tongue (at least to my sensitive palate).  It would be OK for the 3rd glass at a meal, but not to drink by itself.  I'll be generous and give it a 5 - pure average.

Next week I'm graduating to some more serious bacchanalian elixirs.  I need to make a run to a serious establishment to branch out a bit.  Of course, that means spending more money.  Stay tuned!
OK
:notes:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

When it comes to reds, I like the dry country reds, particularly Shiraz, from areas like Rutherglen in northern Victoria.  Big and bold, fruity but not sweet with an explosion of flavour on the palate.  I especially like the wines from small family run vineyards where you can talk to the actual winemaker.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

The region, where I live is known for their excellent white wines, especially Rieslings. One of my favourite vineyards is Kloster Eberbach. They have wonderful wines, including an amazingly good tasting alcohol-free one.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Riesling is one of my favorite whites.  I also like Soave.

Randy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 19, 2021, 10:59:19 PM
Riesling is one of my favorite whites.  I also like Soave.
St. Michelle Riesling was one of my favorites. If it was on the wine list I'd order it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

EN has not yet mentioned Mogen David or Manischevitz.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on February 21, 2021, 04:42:04 AM

Good communion wines. I'm focusing on French wines, and the French have largely rejected Catholicism and communion. I was raised in a Baptist church and we used grape juice.  I gave it the name "Blood Light".  Manischevitz is better.

Randy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 22, 2021, 01:08:38 AM
Quote from: Icarus on February 21, 2021, 04:42:04 AM

Good communion wines. I'm focusing on French wines, and the French have largely rejected Catholicism and communion. I was raised in a Baptist church and we used grape juice.  I gave it the name "Blood Light".  Manischevitz is better.
"Blood Light" :lol:
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Ecurb Noselrub

I've fallen down on the job.  Circumstances of life have prevented me from doing any French wine reviews for the past week or so, but never fear - Ecurb is here.  Today, the featured wine is a 2016 Chateau Laplagnotte-Bellevue, a Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Bordeaux.   Check out their website (it's in French).  http://www.laplagnotte.com/

Cru is "a vineyard or group of vineyards, especially one of recognized quality", meaning this wine is not made from grapes of several regions or even farms.  It claims to be made with organic grapes, and, in fact, it has a deep grape color.  A medium bodied wine, I detected notes of black cherry (a sweet impression on first taste).  It has about medium tannins, but is still smooth enough for me. At 14% ABV, it is not overpowering, and would go well with pork or beef.  I have previously said that I like Bordeaux, and this is no exception.  I give it an 8.  It cost me $33.00, so it was worth it. 

billy rubin

i am still drinking chamomile tea

takes a lot of chamomile tea to substitute for mezcal.

set the function, not the mechanism.