Happy Atheist Forum

Community => Life As An Atheist => Topic started by: Papasito Bruno on March 24, 2022, 05:01:11 PM

Poll
Question: Are you in favor of Atheist Churches?
Option 1: Yes votes: 0
Option 2: No votes: 3
Option 3: Maybe votes: 0
Title: Atheist Churches
Post by: Papasito Bruno on March 24, 2022, 05:01:11 PM
Talk Heathen ran this poll recently, and I was somewhat surprised at the results of their vote. (Over a thousand votes)
[spoiler]Over 80% voted no[/spoiler]


I'm personally not opposed to atheists gathering together, and I know that there are some well-known atheist organizations such as"The Atheist Community of Austin" (https://www.atheist-community.org/) that I wouldn't mind joining, however. The notion of an Atheist Church doesn't set well with me, as I can see it being too controlling or authoritative. Plus, there are already too many theists who like to compare or state that atheism is simply another type of religion, so calling it an Atheist Church seems to feed into this notion as well.

I voted no, but was curious what the folks here at HAF thought about this.
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: Recusant on March 25, 2022, 03:46:28 AM
"Not being in favor of" would inevitably be a larger cohort than "against," I think. I'm in agreement with you, and am not in favor of atheist churches. If some atheists feel a desire to form one in the manner of the Sunday Assembly thing I don't really object, though I admit they get a side-eye from me. As for various assertions that atheism is a religion, there isn't much you can do about willful ignorance.  :shrug:
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: Icarus on March 26, 2022, 02:08:00 AM
Humanists are polite atheists. My local Humanist group meets from time to time in a nice little church.  The church itself is a way out in left field type, who does not get much excited about the eminent return of Jesus.

At one of the few Humanist meetings that I have attended, I observed that almost all the adherents' were 50, 60, 70 year olds. .  That was surprising because I had previously presumed that the modern skeptics were of a newer generation.
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: billy rubin on March 26, 2022, 02:35:54 AM
well, i recently became an ordained minister of the universal life church.

its easy and free

they have a certificate i can put on the wall but it costs money and i havent done it yet.

you can become a minister too

https://www.themonastery.org/?utm_source=ordination_confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ordination_via_link&utm_campaign=themonastery_org


i dont yet know what i believe either. it will take some research.
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: Papasito Bruno on March 26, 2022, 10:48:17 PM
Quote from: Icarus on March 26, 2022, 02:08:00 AM
Humanists are polite atheists. My local Humanist group meets from time to time in a nice little church.  The church itself is a way out in left field type, who does not get much excited about the eminent return of Jesus.

At one of the few Humanist meetings that I have attended, I observed that almost all the adherents' were 50, 60, 70 year olds. .  That was surprising because I had previously presumed that the modern skeptics were of a newer generation.

That is surprising as most of the skeptics I have met have been younger than me (Mid-50's), however. I wonder if the older crowd attending the meetings you mention do so because they are more accustom to group settings and dynamics?
I mean most likely many of them probably attended churches when they were younger....while many younger folk today, especially the "Nones" didn't necessarily grow up going to church regularly according to polling data. (I have a daughter (mid-30's) and son (Mid-20's) who attended some church when they were younger, but not a lot.


Quote from: billy rubin on March 26, 2022, 02:35:54 AM
well, i recently became an ordained minister of the universal life church.

its easy and free

they have a certificate i can put on the wall but it costs money and i havent done it yet.

you can become a minister too

https://www.themonastery.org/?utm_source=ordination_confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ordination_via_link&utm_campaign=themonastery_org

i dont yet know what i believe either. it will take some research.

I used to be Father Bruno here on the forum some years ago, butt that was only a joke...You on the other hand are an ordained minister!!

That's cool...Should we call you Pastor Billy? 8)
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: billy rubin on March 26, 2022, 11:23:44 PM
brother billy is fine.

my religion holds humility in high regard

look at what all i can do now

QuoteWe remind you to get ordained if you haven't already. This is the first step in the process that will allow you to legally officiate weddings of friends and family. You can also perform baptisms, preside over funerals, offer blessings, and even absolve the sins of others.

let me know if you have any sins you need to have absolved
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: Papasito Bruno on March 26, 2022, 11:42:21 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on March 26, 2022, 11:23:44 PM
brother billy is fine.

my religion holds humility in high regard

look at what all i can do now

QuoteWe remind you to get ordained if you haven't already. This is the first step in the process that will allow you to legally officiate weddings of friends and family. You can also perform baptisms, preside over funerals, offer blessings, and even absolve the sins of others.

let me know if you have any sins you need to have absolved


Brother Billy sounds cool, in fact you should change your forum name to Brother Billy. ;D


Can you absolve me of the sin of not having any modesty when it comes to bragging about the size of my thing?

I think if an Ordained Minister such as yourself could offer me absolution regarding this it would go a long, long way in patching things up between me and Bad Penny II.

QuoteOh please forgive me Brother Billy, it's been decades since my last confession.

I fully admit to being a selfless, immodest, self aggrandizing, braggart!! With little or no respect for the modest values of others, or how difficult their lives must be walking around with tiny, little penises.
I am truly sorry, and promise to stop....though even you Brother Billy have to admit it's Kina funny, right?
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: billy rubin on March 27, 2022, 12:56:01 AM
i hereby absolve you of all conswquences in this world and any other that may accrue from excessive pride or aggeandizement pertaining to any characteristics of your tallywhachacker.

or any other anatomy of interest.

go and sin no more
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: Tank on August 02, 2022, 07:34:50 PM
The weekly sermon.

There is no evidence to support the claims of theists.

Humanist 'churches' could be a thing I suppose.
Title: Re: Atheist Churches
Post by: Asmodean on August 03, 2022, 02:27:39 PM
Late to the party, but here be my two Kroner;

I voted "no" in the sense that I would not attend such a church. However, there are plenty of atheists who take things outside religion on faith and want affirmation of their beliefs and the feeling of righteousness and all the same kinds of things one may use a regular church for, that even before we mention wanting to belong to something larger than oneself.

As such, while you would have to force me into a place like that, there may well be a lot of people who find the idea appealing. As long as they do not intrude upon me, I have no reason to stop them.

Then of course one can call a community gathering place with no faith-in-authority-foundation "church." In that case... Personally, I'd just use a different word to describe it, but... Whatever.

To summarise, I'd say that atheist churches are not my cup of tea. Sceptic churches... Wouldn't be churches, but for the name.