News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Happy Atheist Logo

Started by JillSwift, June 26, 2009, 05:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I was looking at the logo I threw together for HAF and how crappy it really is (it's a free font with some dots thrown on to represent people).  Well, I actually do kinda like the idea of it, just needs more work.  I was then thinking about how so many atheists complain that the American Atheist symbol is really the only symbol out there that represents atheists.  The other choices are IPU, FSM, Darwin Fish, and brights..which all represents something a bit different than just atheist.  What we need is a symbol for Happy Atheists.  Something that would not only brand this forum but could be used by all (happy) atheists.  I think this symbol should be something that can easily be made into car emblems, key chains etc so that it is usable by people.

Anyway, so that's a new HAF project idea.

McQ

Quote from: "Whitney"I was looking at the logo I threw together for HAF and how crappy it really is (it's a free font with some dots thrown on to represent people).  Well, I actually do kinda like the idea of it, just needs more work.  I was then thinking about how so many atheists complain that the American Atheist symbol is really the only symbol out there that represents atheists.  The other choices are IPU, FSM, Darwin Fish, and brights..which all represents something a bit different than just atheist.  What we need is a symbol for Happy Atheists.  Something that would not only brand this forum but could be used by all (happy) atheists.  I think this symbol should be something that can easily be made into car emblems, key chains etc so that it is usable by people.

Anyway, so that's a new HAF project idea.

How about a Smiley Darwin Fish?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"How about a Smiley Darwin Fish?

or a  :bananacolor: Darwin Fish

Oh...you know what..I forgot about the atheist A from the out campaign.  I think that might cover representing atheists.  Still, we do need one for happy atheists.  Maybe an A that looks "happy"  The out A looks so serious.

JillSwift

[attachment=0:2bdsk61w]HAF.png[/attachment:2bdsk61w]

Silly mood, silly art.
[size=50]Teleology]

Jolly Sapper

hmm... I would think that a symbol representing the universe would be fitting for atheism.

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jforster/aum.htm

Quote from: "From link 'bove"This symbol is the universe, all that is and could be.    It does not stand for the universe, it is the universe.    It is extremely auspicious.
      The graphic is a Sanskrit syllable, the part that looks like a 3 is the A, the tail hanging off that is the U and the dot above them is the M.    There is a fourth part as well, a soundless part, at the end.
      The A is creation, it happens at the back of the throat where the sound originates; the U is preservation, it happens in the middle of your mouth and the M is destruction, it happens at the lips where the sound stops.    The A is also symbolic of the waking state of consciousness, the U the dreaming state, the M deep sleep and the soundless fourth part is symbolic of the state beyond these three.

To quote a famous (at least in Melbourne, Australia, where I grew up) TV personality, Julius Sumner-Miller -- Why is it so?    One good answer comes from the more creative interpretations of Quantum Mechanics, and that is that the Universe is a hologram, or at least that the laws which govern a hologram are good for the Universe too.    This comes from the mathematics that is Quantum Mechanics, where a particle is not really separate from it's description (it isn't in fact a particle at all) and the whole physical Universe is built out of those particles and therefore the Universe is a hologram.
      Each bit of a hologram contains all the information that the rest of hologram does, all that happens if you break the hologram into several physically separate chunks is that each chunk has more error in it, it gets more blurred.    So any part of the whole contains the whole, so a symbol like Aum can literally be the Universe.    Viewing the Universe as a hologram also has several other rather interesting ramifications, one of which related to this point is that you contain rest of the Universe, or at least your subconscious does anyway.    All solutions lie in you, you don't have to search out there.
      Another ramification answers a paradox that exists at the core of a number of Asian systems of metaphysics (and probably a bunch of Occidental ones as well) and that paradox is that nothing has ever happened, the Buddhists say all that you see is illusion and the Yogis say that it is only your ignorance.    The structure of a hologram is constant, homogenous.    Yet that hologram contains any number of different images, the difference being perceivable if you change the angle at which you are looking at the hologram.    So here is something that never changes yet appears to change with your motion.    The hologram never changes, it just is, however from each of the infinite points of view you have a dynamic ever changing experience.

*Above text stolen without permission.

jcm

mmmm logos! :) i like designing logos
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

aberingi

I am an atheist from Spain. Amember of http://cyberateos.org
I am in charge of promoting an atheist symbol that can be a genuine universal symbol for its simplicity. Based on the latin alphabet and common to more than 76 languages .
[youtube:5q2e2u0z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_EZHbb_yVw [/youtube:5q2e2u0z]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prA-9qI8pU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-xGXFjp ... re=related
http://simboloateo.mp/
http://images.google.es/images?rlz=1C1GGLS_esES326ES326&sourceid=chrome&q=simboloateo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=es&tab=wi

I hope you like it and help us distribute it among atheist people.
Thanks.
Jorge

Whitney

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"hmm... I would think that a symbol representing the universe would be fitting for atheism.

Is there a pretty symbol that means happy?  I have an idea...

Whitney

Quote from: "aberingi"I am an atheist from Spain. Amember of http://cyberateos.org
I am in charge of promoting an atheist symbol that can be a genuine universal symbol for its simplicity. Based on the latin alphabet and common to more than 76 languages .

here's the image:

aberingi is your site affiliated with this idiot?  memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1809  A member who joined here under the name "cyberateos" If not, you might want to send him a cease and desist for using your site's name because he's making you look bad (I can give you his email).

jcm

Fish growing feet and moving from water to land. the front feet and eye is also someone who is happy.

the H A F is a little hard to read, may need more work.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Jolly Sapper

I did not notice that I had double posted, sorry about that.

Whitney

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"I did not notice that I had double posted, sorry about that.

no problem...fixed.

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "jcm"Fish growing feet and moving from water to land. the front feet and eye is also someone who is happy.

I like the fish :D

JillSwift

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"
Quote from: "jcm"Fish growing feet and moving from water to land. the front feet and eye is also someone who is happy.

I like the fish :D
I have to agree: That's a very cool logo.
[size=50]Teleology]

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "JillSwift"I have to agree: That's a very cool logo.
I would buy a t-shirt with that fish on it.

edit: I would buy two