Many Americans aren't aware they're being tracked with facial recognition while

Started by billy rubin, August 17, 2021, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

https://www.techradar.com/news/many-americans-arent-aware-theyre-being-tracked-with-facial-recognition-while-shopping

QuoteMany Americans aren't aware they're being tracked with facial recognition while shopping

Despite consumer opposition to facial recognition, the technology is currently being used in retail stores throughout the US according to new research from Piplsay.

While San Francisco banned the police from using facial recognition back in 2019 and the EU called for a five year ban on the technology last year, several major retailers in the US including Lowe's, Albertsons and Macy's have been using it for both fraud and theft detection.

im against this. but its one of those privacy degradations that is going to stick, i think, just as compulsory picture ID stuck, and tracking on the web stuck, and all the rest.

my kids never had government ID until they were near adults. only two had birth certificates, none had social security numbers. we had various difficulties gettign them through normal things like public school or signing up for little league baseball. as i recall, my son even had trouble getting into the boy scouts because he lacked "papers."

now that theyre adults, we had to give that anonymity up. but being part of facial recognition database that records your presence in places you have always had a right to be anonymous in is not my idea of progress.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

billy rubin

there are ways to avoid identification, but i don't know whether you qualify.

altering the geometric points AI uses to recognize a face can do it, but at the expense of being instantly recognizable to anybody else as a person of interest, unless it becomes every day common.

i am increasingly wary of the ubiquitous surveillance in my society. in my lifetime we have gone from a standard acceptance of privacy in our everyday lives to almost the near opposite.

we don't have the screens in our apartments like winston did in 1984, but in china that is becoming the future, and china is already the future for the human race in general.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

My face has broken every recognition system it has encountered. Small systems run screaming to their mother computers when they see me coming.  AI is refusing to operate in my area for fear of encountering me.  Fear of my face is the first human feeling that AI experiences.

Icarus

Our computers and telephones are culpable.  Apple, Google,Amazon, and others already know more about us than our sainted mothers did. Privacy is not a reality anymore. Well maybe if you are a hermit living miles from the nearest road..........naaah, not even then.  There can be drones with pictures, and exact coordinates of your cabin in the woods.

I find it almost humorous that some of the anti vaxxers refuse the jab because it is a government trick that will insert an ID chip into their arm.  Do they not realize that their I-phones know exactly where they are and who they are?  If your car has Onstar or equivalent, it too will rat you out. 

Forget privacy unless you are planning to cheat with your second cousin or the teen aged baby sitter.