News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Recent posts

Science / Re: How old is the universe?
Last post by zorkan - February 13, 2024, 01:53:09 PM
God is everywhere, yet nowhere.
Above and below, I hope you know.
In the inner core of the earth and in the great void of space beyond the furthest galaxy.
He knows your every movement and every thought.
If you believe this, you have been bought.

Life As An Atheist / Re: On the subject of atheism.
Last post by zorkan - February 13, 2024, 01:46:46 PM
He might invite you into his home by the canal, where at the bottom of his garden it 'rains' DNA.
Not right now. I noticed that nearly all the Port Meadow was under water from the Thames.
Last post by Asmodean - February 13, 2024, 12:56:51 PM
Are you celebrity-stalking the good professor? :snicker1:

Eh... I suppose I wouldn't say no to having tea with the man either, though we would be unlikely to "talk shop" unless he was so inclined.
Last post by Asmodean - February 13, 2024, 12:50:53 PM
That's not proof - it's a link to a book.

Unless you mean to say that a statement by authorirty (In this case, a random published author. Note that in this context, the "true greats" would also be "just random published authors") is somehow proof of something beyond that they wrote or otherwise made said statement.

What is the proof? Is there a process I can repeat? Is there a prediction I can verify?

Also,
Quote from: zorkan on February 13, 2024, 12:02:05 PMIf god is on the outside looking in, then god is both inside and outside according to your view that all systems are open.
no, absolutely not. There exist closed systems and even then It is perfectly possible to be fully outside an open system just as it is to be fully outside a closed one. Now, if something is both inside and outside, then there are mechanisms by which that something interacts with the system. If you read my question, I think you will find that it was "what are these mechanisms?"
Last post by zorkan - February 13, 2024, 12:13:02 PM
I knew you would.

Whenever I'm in Oxford I hope to get a sight of Dawkins as he lives there.
There yesterday and still no sighting, even in Blackwell's bookshop where he has been known to wander.
I'm told he avoids all contact, and is as mysterious as god himself.
He doesn't suffer fools like me gladly, but I'd just like to see him.
Last post by zorkan - February 13, 2024, 12:02:05 PM
QuoteIf god is "beyond" the universe, then by what means does he itneract with it enough to know when you covet your neighbour's wife?
If god is on the outside looking in, then god is both inside and outside according to your view that all systems are open.
Here's the proof:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Eating-Universe-Cosmic-Questions/dp/0241459850

"In the constellation of Eridanus there lurks a cosmic mystery. It's as if something has taken a huge bite out of the universe, leaving a super-void. What could be the culprit?"
Why, god!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Asmodean - February 13, 2024, 08:05:42 AM
The Asmo is also a cyborg. :smilenod: ICL implants so that He can do stuff like see in the dark (-ish) and also in daylight and read things and zap things with lazers because He can see them, so He can aim in their general direction.

Un. Stoppable. :smilenod:

(Cost between 4000 and 5000US, as I remember - maybe a bit more because I seem to believe Kroner was somewhat higher valued five-six years ago)

...We should totally start HAF Terminator Society. Aim: Cyborg Rights and World Domination. Yep. The Asmo could be the minister of extermination, is what He could.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Petrol head thread!!!
Last post by Icarus - February 13, 2024, 05:07:03 AM
Way back in the day I had a Harley 74 ci. It had built in lugs on the frame to accept side hack attachment.

These days nary a sidecar can be seen. But there are numerous trikes. Most of then are H-D modifications but I suspect that the H-D factory may have begun to manufacture them. I do remeber that there was an old guy in town who had a sidecar on his Guzzi. I saw him often at the grocery store. The sidecar made a most convenient place to haul his bread and milk.
Last post by Icarus - February 13, 2024, 04:56:06 AM
I too have hearing aids. Have had the same pair for 6 years. It is normal for male persons to have difficulty hearing higher frequencies. Indeed some of the female voices are unintelligible even with the hearing aids.

You are fortunate to avoid having to pay a bundle for your new instruments. I paid $3200 for the pair that I have.  I was quoted as much as $7200 when I was shopping around. The hearing aid business in the US is characterized by larcenous sales people.

Hearing aids are a blessing. The only thing bad, is that when the batteries have nearly expired the performance of the hearing aids diminishes. At low battery intervals, my wife becomes annoyed with me for failing to understand what the hell she just said. I confess that I sometimes ignore her prattle even when I did understand what she said.

Last post by billy rubin - February 12, 2024, 10:54:20 PM
universal health care  makes so much sense.

no wonder we just let people die in america