News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Recent posts

Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by zorkan - July 16, 2024, 10:17:19 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 15, 2024, 10:05:37 AMYou could, for instance, transform (or, "translate") the Earth's coordinate system such that the poles would lie on the equator. It makes little practical difference outside navigation, but it would still not be possible to venture across the North Pole and maintain northward motion.
There is no north and south, east and west.
If you keep going in the same direction from any point on the earth's surface and keep travelling along curved space there is only one place that will stop you,
Once below the EV there is no exit.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-article/supermassive-black-hole-sagittarius/#:~:text=Supermassive%20black%20hole%20Sagittarius%20A*%20(Sgr%20A*)%20is%20located,is%20revealed%20in%20these%20images.
Science / Re: Living longer.
Last post by zorkan - July 16, 2024, 10:06:56 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on July 15, 2024, 01:53:22 PMvonnegut wrote of a man who was given a choice- to complete his death or walk the galapagos as a ghost for a million years and then choose again for a final time.
I have a book called Darwin's Finches, and from what I understand you wouldn't want to be there for even one year.
Great book, though.

Maybe if the island I was on had a golf course.
Last post by zorkan - July 16, 2024, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on July 14, 2024, 06:13:16 PMwhy would one want to live forever?

Not if you were Tithonus.

"Aurora abducted Tithonus and asked Zeus to grant him immortality, which Zeus did. However, she forgot to ask that he also grant eternal youth, so Tithonus soon became a decrepit old man who could not die. Aurora finally transformed him into a grasshopper to relieve him of his sad existence."

There is an episode of Star Trek where a planet is so full of people they crave to be alone.
It has been suggested that living to 150 could be common by next century.
We would have to find a second home.

Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by Icarus - July 16, 2024, 07:55:20 AM
^  I like it.
Politics / Re: Duke of Bullshit: "The" Do...
Last post by Icarus - July 16, 2024, 07:49:58 AM
I had no intention of coming to his defense.  As I said, I was practicing psychoanalysis (without a license).

Recently I read a lengthy article about the way Norwegian kids are raised.  It would seem that danger of intimidation or bullying is not a common way of behaving in ordinary Norway  society. If that is true, then your society has achieved a monumental degree of success.

Being bullied by ones peers is devastating to ones sense of worth. The victims suffer physical abuse as well as emotional abuse. Over a period of time the victim comes to feel that living the role of the bullied, is not worth enduring. Some of the victims become angry beyond description. Then they may take the gas pipe or alternatively pick up an AR15 

Last post by hermes2015 - July 16, 2024, 05:49:39 AM
Stanley Kubrick used some of György Ligeti's music in his movies. Many people find Ligeti challenging to explore, but here he is in a lighter, more accessible mood. His Six Bagatelles are performed in this video by the Carion Wind Quintet.

Last post by billy rubin - July 15, 2024, 11:39:48 PM
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Tank - July 15, 2024, 06:36:00 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 15, 2024, 10:21:50 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2024, 09:38:23 AM1", just 1"!
Were you lamenting that Donald Trump was injured, or that he was not killed?

I shall leave that to your imagination :)
Last post by billy rubin - July 15, 2024, 01:53:22 PM
vonnegut wrote of a man who was given a choice- to complete his death or walk the galapagos as a ghost for a million years and then choose again for a final time.

after a million years of change nothing that he valued was still recognizeable. when his time was up, he chose to move on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galápagos_(novel)
Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by billy rubin - July 15, 2024, 01:47:49 PM
it would mess up my summer vacation though