News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: billy rubin on October 05, 2021, 01:58:35 PM
maybe it did have something to do with facebook going down. no sign of a black box tho

now all the rest of the weeks schedules are up in the air and everybody is calling me asking questions i cannot answer.

but tbis church parking lot is very congenial. thrres a ayground off to the side i.might investigate

What sort of ayground?
Not one with ids, or ildren in it?
If so stay away, you can't be visiting  such places looking and smelling worse than the wild man from Borneo, you're in enough trouble already for destroying the internet.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 05, 2021, 02:08:10 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on October 05, 2021, 01:58:35 PM
maybe it did have something to do with facebook going down. no sign of a black box tho

now all the rest of the weeks schedules are up in the air and everybody is calling me asking questions i cannot answer.

but tbis church parking lot is very congenial. thrres a ayground off to the side i.might investigate

What sort of ayground?
Not one with ids, or ildren in it?
If so stay away, you can't be visiting  such places looking and smelling worse than the wild man from Borneo, you're in enough trouble already for destroying the internet.

Perhaps the missing letter was a g.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

since i dyed my beard bright blue the ids have a great time ointing at me and laughing.

i consider it the responsibility of every adult to provide children with wholesome amusement

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 05, 2021, 02:49:14 PM

Perhaps the missing letter was a g.

i just shouldnt have brought that up

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

the number one daughter. fire line control, nevada.

ponderosa or jeffries pine-- she didn't remember which

billy rubin

hot dog!

i get cataract surgery in 10 days. was scheduled for january but i told them i was rilly rilly willing to come in at a moments notice if they got a cancellation

the right eye has lots of inner refections, giving it double vision and haloes around light sources, as well as just fuzzy optics.

so theyre going to cut in from tbe side, suction out the lens and slip in one made of plastic.

should help tbe driving-- i have to have decent vision to keep my license.

might help with the typos too, if i can actually see the keyboard

Tank

That's great news. I've had both my eyes done and I've never looked back.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

how well did your vision clear up?

i failed my last motor vehicle eye test, and wenthome and got my12 year old eyeglasses.

they passed me out of pity, i think, because i didnt do much bettrr. but now ive got to pass for real, or im forced into yet another career change

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 19, 2021, 03:36:15 PM
how well did your vision clear up?

i failed my last motor vehicle eye test, and wenthome and got my12 year old eyeglasses.

they passed me out of pity, i think, because i didnt do much bettrr. but now ive got to pass for real, or im forced into yet another career change

They cleared up fine. The only thing you'll have to consider is that your eye won't be able to focus any more. I assume they will put a distance focus lens given your work and you'll need some close focus glasses. Will you need both eyes done eventually?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

so far tbe left eye is okay. but i imagine tbesame deterioration will catch u5p there.

a fixed lens shape is fine.the right eye gives me binocular vision, but its too blurryfor much else.. id rather havea fixed focus on  infnity. i alreadyuse dime store reading glasses but i imagine tbe left and right eye will have focal lengthss too far apart after surgery for tbat?  may ei can buy several pairs and mixand matchthe lenses

do people opt for focal lengths other than distance? i suppose if i sere a diamond cutter i might want magnification.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 19, 2021, 07:21:35 PM
so far tbe left eye is okay. but i imagine tbesame deterioration will catch u5p there.

a fixed lens shape is fine.the right eye gives me binocular vision, but its too blurryfor much else.. id rather havea fixed focus on  infnity. i alreadyuse dime store reading glasses but i imagine tbe left and right eye will have focal lengthss too far apart after surgery for tbat?  may ei can buy several pairs and mixand matchthe lenses

do people opt for focal lengths other than distance? i suppose if i sere a diamond cutter i might want magnification.

I have a varifocal pair for pc-screen to infinity and a bi-focal pair for pc-screen and very close work like jewellery making.

billy rubin

varifocal is a continuosly changing focal length?

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 19, 2021, 08:57:59 PM
varifocal is a continuosly changing focal length?

Sort of. They tend to have two sweet spots at the top an bottom on a single lens. They are more popular as some people associate bi-focal's with old style glasses. And they don't have the edges to the upper and lower lenses that can refract and reflect in odd ways.

Icarus

My wife recently had the second cataract surgery. This time on the left eye.  She had the other eye done a couple years ago.  In both cases she opted to have an auxiliary lens installed.  She has had no problem with driving, reading, or using the PC.  She does need to wear glasses to have all those benefits.  The co-pay for the lens was $450.  An entirely different lens is available that is claimed to correct all the vision problems without benefit of glasses.  It is a bit of wizardry but the downside is the cost, $4500 per eye, even after Medicare or insurance picks up part of the tab.

Figure on the cost of the surgery, plus the lens, plus the cost of corrective eyeglasses.  Hopefully insurance or Medicare will defray some of the cost.  After the surgery, you need about four weeks healing time before you can be refracted to determine your new eyeglass prescription.