News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inertialmass

I spent a little over thirty years daily traipsing around woods in the northeast US.  Always a couple weeks after hunting season started I'd be finding deer carcasses laying frozen in the snow.  Usually it was obvious that a hunter's bullet/shell had not been immediately lethal.  Three or four of them I found had an arrow sticking out.  Who knows how long the poor little bastards ran around suffering immensely before dying.

Funny that we as a society worry worry nowadays over alleged suffering among lab mice and rats, but we're happy to send these drunk blind amateur killers out to trespass on others' lands.  And yet here I am being the hypocrite 'cause I'm glad for my car headlights, grill and radiator that somebody is keeping the deer population somewhat under control.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2019, 02:12:16 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 24, 2019, 02:54:38 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2019, 01:50:19 AM
Quote from: No one on December 24, 2019, 01:24:33 AM
Did you have to kill it yourself jak? Did you choke it?

:(
I used to kill chickens when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I saw it as a basic survival skill. And you don't choke a chicken, you break the neck. If you choke it, it leaves bruises all over --not very attractive. I learned to clean the giblets and to not ruptured the gall bladder.
Ah...nice childhood memories.
:tellmemore:

:o
Yeah, killing an animal is not something pleasurable, but man!...

Better than lettuce!
Somebody has to do it. :shrug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on December 24, 2019, 07:14:27 PM

I used to kill chickens when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I saw it as a basic survival skill. And you don't choke a chicken, you break the neck. If you choke it, it leaves bruises all over --not very attractive. I learned to clean the giblets and to not ruptured the gall bladder.

Better than lettuce!

Lettuce is what food eats. :smilenod:

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 24, 2019, 07:34:03 PM

Better than lettuce!

Lettuce is what food eats. :smilenod:

:sidesmile:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i lived at the tail end of my family's butchering history. when i was a kid we used to shoot calves and hogs in the barnyard and string them up behind a pickup. split em down the middle with a bone saw and get the brains out with a hatchet for my grandmother. we were past scalding the hogs by that time but the pulley was still hanging in the black walnut tree.

i remember collecting a big bucket of testicles when we cut the neighbor's pigs, but they didn't come to us. we kept the calf testicles. better fresh than frozen, but its been a very, very long time since i ate any. chickens went from scratching in the yard to frying in a pan in about one hour. we shot a lot of jackrabbits and cottontails, but used those for trotline bait to get catfish. don't know why we never ate the rabbits, as we already had them

around where i live now there's lots of whitetailed deer. i used to let people shoot them but got tired of the gunfire at night at the campfire parties. so now i just let my neighbor up the road cull them for me. my property has a natural funnel that sweeps deer from about 50 acres and runs them down a creek bottom ahead of a single beater. you can sit in a chair at  the end by the road and bang as many as you want as they come out of the brush.

but all that's wasted on me now. i'd rather eat a pan of collards and mushrooms.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

While I do not advocate, condone or endorse the wanton uncalled for torture of any living creature, I have no qualms, nor do I feel any remorse about something having to die in order to sustain my existence. Life is brutal, life is cruel, and it is completely unforgiving. Nothing anywhere, gets out alive.

billy rubin

lol

i think that's the longest post from you i've read since i've been here.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

xSilverPhinx

Better than lettuce!

Oh yeah. I've never seen anybody enthusiastically lick their fingers after eating a Caeser's Salad.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2019, 08:23:42 PM
Better than lettuce!

Oh yeah. I've never seen anybody enthusiastically lick their fingers after eating a Caeser's Salad.

:lol

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Inertialmass on December 24, 2019, 06:48:00 PM
Funny that we as a society worry worry nowadays over alleged suffering among lab mice and rats, but we're happy to send these drunk blind amateur killers out to trespass on others' lands. 

Yes...don't mess with people's food and sport but science is totally unimportant.

billy rubin

ceasar's salad is a meat salad. eggs and fish.

around here in the restaurants you can have chicken salad, beef salad, pork salad, or turkey salad.

if you want a salad without meat, you order a  green salad, which is a small saucer containing a cup of iceberg lettuce with some chopped carrots and two cherry tomatoes.

i remember in missouri once stopping at a highway restaurant. the waitress explained the day's special, which was meat, meat with meat, meat with a side of meat, or extra meat served with more meat.

i asked whether they had anything without meat and there was a long silent pause while people at adjoining tables turned around to stare at me.

they gave me an under-cooked baked potato and a small saucer containing a cup of iceberg lettuce with some chopped carrots and two cherry tomatoes.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on December 24, 2019, 08:41:47 PM
ceasar's salad is a meat salad. eggs and fish.

around here in the restaurants you can have chicken salad, beef salad, pork salad, or turkey salad.

if you want a salad without meat, you order a  green salad, which is a small saucer containing a cup of iceberg lettuce with some chopped carrots and two cherry tomatoes.

i remember in missouri once stopping at a highway restaurant. the waitress explained the day's special, which was meat, meat with meat, meat with a side of meat, or extra meat served with more meat.

i asked whether they had anything without meat and there was a long silent pause while people at adjoining tables turned around to stare at me.

they gave me an under-cooked baked potato and a small saucer containing a cup of iceberg lettuce with some chopped carrots and two cherry tomatoes.

Caesar's Salads around here only contain a trace of meat hiding among the greens. It's most unfortunate. The best thing there is the dressing.