Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2021, 05:05:38 AM
Exploring precarious balance.

Fast set concrete with metallic powder detailing. Height 800 mm.

That's cool! I especially like the top part...what you did with the arch. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

That's beautiful, hermes! I would have figured rebar for the joints at the circle sections, but that would have been tougher to embed, I guess.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 10, 2021, 06:51:11 PM
That's beautiful, hermes! I would have figured rebar for the joints at the circle sections, but that would have been tougher to embed, I guess.

Thank you! The pieces are only 16 mm thick, so rebar would be a bit too coarse. The stainless steel mesh I used gives amazing rigidity — there is almost zero flexing in the joint of the top piece.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

why do you create things?

what is it that makes you make art?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 11, 2021, 05:17:38 PM

I can only speak for myself. The best way I can describe the urge to make something, is that it is an almost physical discomfort, like an itch that has to be scratched. In other words, it is an irresistible obsession that comes out of nowhere and takes over my thoughts and can even deprive me of sleep. Perhaps it is a form of insanity.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

isnt that interesting?

its like creativity is a physiological thing

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 12, 2021, 01:50:35 AM
isnt that interesting?

its like creativity is a physiological thing

Yes, with me it is a physical drive, but at the same time cerebral as well, hence my use of 3D software to work out the details before I start working on something. It is very hard to put into words, which is why I don't write poetry, but create non-verbal physical objects like paintings and sculptures. My body reacts in a similar way when I listen to music I like.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 11, 2021, 07:48:37 PM

I can only speak for myself. The best way I can describe the urge to make something, is that it is an almost physical discomfort, like an itch that has to be scratched. In other words, it is an irresistible obsession that comes out of nowhere and takes over my thoughts and can even deprive me of sleep. Perhaps it is a form of insanity.

:grin:

Ah, I miss feeling those urges! :tellmemore: I haven't felt like that in a long time. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 13, 2021, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 11, 2021, 07:48:37 PM

:grin:

Ah, I miss feeling those urges! :tellmemore: I haven't felt like that in a long time.

It's high time you fell in love again.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Concrete bookends: Egyptian cat god Bastet.

I took an existing Bastet image, but put a contemporary twist on it by applying my favourite slicing technique to it. I wanted to give the concrete a patina that made the bookends look like ancient artifacts, but without looking too kitschy. I think I have managed to make them look battered and old, as if they were found in a tomb in Egypt.

I included some objects in the second photo to give a sense of scale.

― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Cool! I see a book title that I'm going to look into, as well- "Art and Physics".

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 19, 2021, 04:13:24 PM
Cool! I see a book title that I'm going to look into, as well- "Art and Physics".

It is still in my pile of books waiting to be read, so I don't know how good it is. All I can tell you is that the author, Leonard Shlain, is a surgeon.
― Charles Eames

Recusant

A gorgeous pair of bookends, hermes2015! Really splendid.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 19, 2021, 04:29:18 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 19, 2021, 04:13:24 PM

It is still in my pile of books waiting to be read, so I don't know how good it is. All I can tell you is that the author, Leonard Shlain, is a surgeon.

i am suspicious already