News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 16, 2021, 03:08:27 AM
Are there testers in condom factories?

In the factories it's water pumps and thickness gauges.

But there are such people as condom testers. Google it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

It's interesting, isn't it, but I guess not unexpected, that my posting of a sculpture of a nude male has led to a discussion of condoms and dildoes?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

There are probably people who blow the condoms up in testing.

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 16, 2021, 01:42:32 PM
It's interesting, isn't it, but I guess not unexpected, that my posting of a sculpture of a nude male has led to a discussion of condoms and dildoes?
Yes, it is interesting.
We've come a long way...Haven't we?

We could be talking about a fig leaf, sin, sex, and censorship.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Quote from: Magdalena on March 17, 2021, 01:10:06 AM
Yes, it is interesting.

Now that would be worth reading. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

Quote from: Magdalena on March 17, 2021, 01:10:06 AM
Yes, it is interesting.

Well, I will take it that my work was successful. Indifference to one's work can be seen as failure.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

On occasion, I've been known to turn a human's face into a bloody pulp, using only my hands.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on March 17, 2021, 09:03:49 AM
On occasion, I've been known to turn a human's face into a bloody pulp, using only my hands.

Good job, we hate humans.
We do, we hate humans.
I've never done the "turn a human's face into a bloody pulp" thing but I've squashed a few blood filled mosquitoes in my time, they're almost as bad as humans.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Oh, you are so butch!
― Charles Eames

Randy

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 17, 2021, 12:53:24 PM

Good job, we hate humans.
We do, we hate humans.
I've never done the "turn a human's face into a bloody pulp" thing but I've squashed a few blood filled mosquitoes in my time, they're almost as bad as humans.
Good. I hate mosquitos. I attract everyone of them in the city. I'll have a lot of itchy bumps within ten minutes.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

There's a skeeter on my peter whack him off (whack him off)
There's a skeeter on my peter whack him off (whack him off)
There's a skeeter on my peter
There's a skeeter on my peter
There's a skeeter on my peter whack him off

hermes2015

Exploring precarious balance.

Fast set concrete with metallic powder detailing. Height 800 mm.

― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

hermes, when you create something like this, how do you think about it? whst kind of vision do you have in mind when you start out? do you sketch it out on paper first?

how often do you change your mind while uoure doing it?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 07, 2021, 12:56:26 PM
hermes, when you create something like this, how do you think about it? whst kind of vision do you have in mind when you start out? do you sketch it out on paper first?

how often do you change your mind while uoure doing it?

The "inspiration" in this case was a desire to put together elements that are balanced precariously in a way not usually seen in concrete sculptures. I had an idea of the shapes and I played around with different arrangements on paper; I used a graphite stick to do many drawings on A1 size paper. When I had the composition worked out, I cast the components separately, making sure to embed stainless steel mesh in strategic places for the joints. As you can imagine, the vision has to be pretty clear and unmuddled at this stage. The nature of the medium (concrete) and the process of casting the pieces do not allow too many changes of mind.

Painting is a different matter. I often start without a clear end result in mind. Oil paint, unlike concrete, allows one to be spontaneous and make drastic changes along the way.
― Charles Eames