Main Menu

When you were a theist.....

Started by Ali, February 17, 2012, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 19, 2012, 12:55:12 AM
Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 11:52:40 PM
I wish my Mother and Father were still alive so I could yell at them......You fools Dinosaurs are real...the Earth is old and tuna casserole is nasty.

You just outed yourself as a former Protestant for sure, either Baptist or Pentacostal. Those folks especially do the covered casserole dish suppers. Amirite? ;)

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles. Hence why they were so popular at those pot-lucks I was forced to go to. That and an unreasonable variety of jello salads.

:D

See, that's why being Catholic had its advantages. There were no church dinners or potlucks we had to go to. All you were ever expected to bring to church was 5 bucks for the collection basket, and a willingness to keep your lips zipped when something didn't make sense. (There are good reasons the priest politely told my family I was better off quitting the youth group!)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Crocoduck

I wish my Mother and Father were still alive so I could yell at them......You fools Dinosaurs are real...the Earth is old and tuna casserole is nasty.

You just outed yourself as a former Protestant for sure, either Baptist or Pentacostal. Those folks especially do the covered casserole dish suppers. Amirite? ;)

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles. Hence why they were so popular at those pot-lucks I was forced to go to. That and an unreasonable variety of jello salads.
I almost dropped my laptop laughing

I was a Nazarene but sent to Baptist schools
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Crocoduck

Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 01:00:41 AM

and a willingness to keep your lips zipped when something didn't make sense.
Where did that go wrong?  :D
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Crocoduck

Quote from: Ali on February 18, 2012, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Amicale on February 18, 2012, 10:21:02 PM
Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 08:19:12 PM
Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 08:17:19 PM
Quote from: Amicale on February 18, 2012, 06:02:15 PM
Quote from: Crocoduck on February 18, 2012, 05:56:27 PM
Thank you Ali your a kinder person then I Am

Crocoduck, no worries. :) A LOT of us are still "in recovery", and we remember all too well all the stuff that got drilled into our heads as kids/teens/young adults. Been there, done that!
I like that "in recovery" cause I have some issues!

I do, too. That's one of the reasons I joined HAF. For the community and fun and like-minded folks, but also to find a place that would give me a much-needed sense of balance and perspective. There's still a lot I'm thinking about. For instance, I call myself an agnostic, but not an atheist -- so I wanted to read up on why some people choose one term over the other, and in the end whether or not the distinction really matters much. And I've been a non-theist for a good while now, so I suspect this learning curve you, I and others here are on takes a good while. I'm not surprised though. After all, it's not like you can completely erase 20+ years of religion/belief and the influence it's had on your life, your perceptions, your family/social group etc.

It took me several years to embrace the term atheist.  To be completely honest, I felt like that was a bridge that I couldn't uncross, and once I called myself an atheist, the god that I pretty much didn't believe in would send me to hell forever.  Of course, I remember very clearly being told as a child that if you ever doubt Jesus, even for one single second, you would spend eternity in hell, so you can imagine the forces I was up against.

In the end, I don't really think it matters what people call themselves, except for their own sakes.  I was scared to call myself an atheist - that's not healthy.  But if you truly are agnostic, then embrace it.  There is not a thing wrong with saying, simply, "I don't know."

The unpardonable sin "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" the scariest thing ever
Dobermonster
Some dude in a Tank

Anne D.

Props, Amicale and Dobermonster  :D

Guardian85

Tuna is nasty in any form. That's why we don't eat them up north. Now a pollock casserole, that is good shit!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

I like Tuna. Particularly as sushi (raw).
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:15:24 PM

YES.  Yellowfin sushi = <3

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:15:24 PM

That's the only way I like it!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.