One last problem that I still have it since left the faith.

Started by OhCheese, August 12, 2011, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhCheese

I bet there is a lot of Atheists who sharing me the same problem and by problem I mean the empty that come after leave the faith. When I left the faith and become Atheist I've been more happy and looking positive to future but one thing that still tired me that I have empty, I don't know how to explain it. for example when I look to some religious staff like (Cross, Church, Mosque, Bible...etc) I feel like I want to back to faith while I know that is not what I want and I know there is no God and I am positive about that but the empty doesn't leave me alone. How can I get over that???????

Medusa

That may not necessarily be the faith you are missing. It could be the community it gave you. That sense of fellowship. You may be able to replace that with your own non secular version of that though. Maybe through meetings or groups of some similar hobby or affiliation.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Stevil

Do you think it is about habbitual behaviour. A lot of poeple's addiction is more habbitual than a need of an addictive substance.
People are also resistent to change, if you have constantly been thinking about something, it is hard to simply let it go and instantly not think of it. It is reasonable that some things in your life bring you back to moments in your past. It's called association and it is a powerful thing.

Gawen

We don't know how long you've been religious. But we'll assume it's been for some time; enough time for you to have felt a belonging to those who worship the same way as you did. Settings for worship are social clubs these day, and I would suspect they were in days past. There's a great deal scientifically, sociologically and psychologically of why believers feel fulfilled.

It's not so much different then when a person looses a loved one. They feel as if a piece of their heart is missing. There's a hole that goes right through and it takes quite a while to fill it back up. The only big difference between that and dropping religion is the supernatural aspect.  Most people get over the loss of a loved one in many ways, although they will likely not forget.

Surround yourself with those that reflect your views and values. Reinforce your current views and values by immersing yourself into media that reflect those views and values. And do it honestly.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Whitney

Quote from: Medusa on August 12, 2011, 10:33:02 AM
That may not necessarily be the faith you are missing. It could be the community it gave you. That sense of fellowship. You may be able to replace that with your own non secular version of that though. Maybe through meetings or groups of some similar hobby or affiliation.

^that's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Just having a good network of friends who are able to function without discussing religious issues would be good enough to fill most of that hole and HAF is here to help offer support for venting, advice etc that you may need to discuss with other non-believers.

I didn't really even notice that I missed the idea of a church community till after I had graduated college because my social network while in school was strong enough to make up for not having a church community (I quit going to church when I moved to college because I didn't find it necessary and was a bit jaded towards church culture anyway).  The Fellowship of Freethought that I help organize is intended to be a community group for nonbelievers that offers they type of community building activities that a religious person would get from a church/mosque/etc...but it may be hard to start something like that in areas where non-believers are few or it is dangerous to be open.

Munchkin Goddess

I know, for me, I miss the community. I never got much out of church speech's or bible study classes. I miss coming together, the food, and seeing the same people every Sunday. It's why I started seeking out the atheist community. While atheist only shared idea is that there isn't any evidence for a "god" or "goddess", it gives me an ice breaker. I have found others that I can be friends or that I can debate, even if we believe in different things. I build my own community around my ideas, instead of someone else's.

Sweetdeath

I agree with Whitney, having friends helps a ton.   Make a lunch date, go to the movies, set up game and pizza night.  Whatever you want.  My life never revolved around religion, so nothing has changed.   

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.