News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Athiests, would you marry a religious person?

Started by jduster, October 24, 2010, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lookitsaustin

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "nowisforever"I don't see why not.
How are you green?  :bananacolor:

Whitney

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "nowisforever"I don't see why not.
How are you green?  :hmm:

I didn't have the settings right.  Had the relative  new user group settings set to "no" instead of "never."  This made a difference because all new users are also part of the registered users group; so with the "no" setting that allowed the registered users settings to override the new user setting.  But it is fixed now.

Alexander

Quote from: "Will"I also voted "it depends'. I don't see myself having a happy, civil, mature, fulfilling and mutually respectful relationship with a raging fundamentalist. There's too much of a different to overcome with understanding, tolerance, and compromise in that kind of instance. On the other hand, a so-called moderate religious woman who isn't going to try and convert me (just as I would never try to convert someone) or would require our children to choose sides before turning 18, I could see that working.

I don't think I could marry a member of an Abrahamic religion, but I could probably deal with a Buddhist or Pagan. At least I'd know they wouldn't try to shove their views down my throat or try to convert me.

ForTheLoveOfAll

I'm engaged to an amazing young woman who calls herself a Christian, because she "believes what the Bible says, except for this and that and that and this and that and..."

She's a very moral person, but she doesn't get her morals from the Bible. It's her label, and I love her all the same. At the rate things are going she'll probably fall away from believing anything the Bible has to say.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Will37

'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

missedtheboat

I'd say it depends. If the guy is trying to preach to me, my friends, or family. Or if he is waiting to have sex until marriage.(kidding...sort of..ok no I'm not) GONE!

If the guy knows his boundaries, understands that we have different views, and leaves it at that. Sure!

ThinkAnarchy

Well, I'm currently with and "idontcareist." She could care less about it all. I probably could if she wasn't to serious in her faith. I tend not to agree with most people on most things, I simply lucked out by finding a woman who doesn't clash with my political and atheistic ideas.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

slapdashartist

I most likely wouldn't. In all honesty, I have a passionate hatred towards religion. I think I would lose some ounce of my ability to take them seriously if they believed in God. To me, non-belief seems like common sense and believing is just a denial of facts. I respect peoples choice in their religious affiliation, but I would be more inclined to be with someone who was a bit more open-minded.
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

Sweetdeath

My girlfriend considers herself spiritual, but she is not religious in any way. It works, and i'm happy. I also get to make lots of Jesus jokes with her. :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

G-Roll

i say yes i would.

because i wouldnt be dumb enough to marry someone who doesnt respect my point of view or world view. to state that someone would try and convert you or clash heads with you all the time because they are religious is silly.
i also think its telling when someone says they couldnt be with a religious person because they would look down upon them or verbally abuse that person. and i always thought it was the religious ones with the closed minds...
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

Crow

I do not want to get married at all (I know this sounds very childish).

This is a conversation that keeps arising a lot with my friends recently with some getting married and the question being asked of those in long-term relationships, eventually filtering down to me the happy selfish singleton. I don't suit life in a relationship, experienced it a bunch of times but quickly get irritated by the situation and have no desire to change my current circumstances.

I'm fine with others getting married especially if I'm invited, they have a free bar at the reception, and have attractive friends or family. Its just not for me.

I think people being of a certain belief is a non-issue when concerning the average believer but an active die-hard within there faith would be an issue but I doubt a proper relationship between that type of person and an atheist would properly develop.

I'm more interested to know would the theists of this forum marry an atheist?
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Oh, Crow <3
Trust me, you're not the only one. I think marriage is pointless. I knw some people look forward to it, but i've never even thought about it. I feel like, if you love someone, just BE WITH THEM.

Sadly, I know some people get married for gov benefits, which I am irritated by. Prople who are married shouldn't get benefits.   Marriage should be personal, and the goverment shouldn't be involved.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

@Sweetdeath: I support marraige for giving more power to the spouse than the parents. I think that is better because the partner is much more likely to be inline with the wishes and best interest than the parents. As a real life example: My ex-brother in law fought his family in law to get his wife a blood transfusion and won because he was the spouse, had they not been married then she would have died because blood transfusions were against her parents religion even though she was no longer part of the religion.

So as long as living wills get trumped by family when your partner's life is on the line (or your life is on the line), I'm all for marriage to be able to protect your partner.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

@Davin: Yeah, that was pretty much the excusr my girlfriend came up with. Though I heard you can make a living will via the hospital without marriage.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's wife. Glad she's alright. What kind of sick people would let their own daughter die?

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 07, 2011, 02:21:15 AM
@Davin: Yeah, that was pretty much the excusr my girlfriend came up with. Though I heard you can make a living will via the hospital without marriage.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's wife. Glad she's alright. What kind of sick people would let their own daughter die?

My girlfriend and I are in the same camp as you on the marriage issue. It is a ritual created by religion and adopted by the state in order to tax it. I will eventually by her a ring because she likes diamonds, on top of the fact it is a nice symbolic way to show our commitment.

We also plan to draw up contracts dealing with the things mentioned above, essentially giving the other power of attorney. Along with wills ensuring we will inherit the estate as opposed to our families.

I think marriage is a waste of money and completely useless though. It also needlessly complicates the breaking up process should the relationship go down the shiter.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.