News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Difficulties in being atheist?

Started by tacoma_kyle, May 07, 2007, 01:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reasoner

Quote from: "rlrose328"...It did make me feel strange when the first question I was asked wasn't "What preschool did you go to?" or "What is your son's birthday?" but "What church do you attend?" by most parents.  Like that will label who and what I am to the nth degree.  Gee willikers!
Again, I get the creeps from this stuff. It would be one thing if the question came from one one parent. But when a number of them all START with the church question, you have to ask, "What's going on?"

Have we all been dumped into a time-warped US? Is it actually 1940?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it."- Lily Tomlin

rlrose328

Quote from: "Reasoner"Again, I get the creeps from this stuff. It would be one thing if the question came from one one parent. But when a number of them all START with the church question, you have to ask, "What's going on?"

Have we all been dumped into a time-warped US? Is it actually 1940?

Here's stereotyping for you... I was wearing a tshirt with an atheist quote on it and one of the school moms (the new chair of the PAC, no less) saw it.  She's a sweater-set type, cute modest skirts, hair and nails always perfect.  I assumed, of course, that she was a fundie.

She saw my shirt then asked to speak to me privately.  She started by congratulating me for having the guts to wear it in public... then continued to tell me how our views are identical based on that quote, she hadn't been a believer ever in her life though was "raised Lutheran... I think" (she said... LOL!).  Just goes to show you can'd judge a Christian by her sweater set, eh?

It does indeed feel like we've regressed by several dozen years here in this country... though there are bright points.  My son spent last week at summer camp, one sponsored by Campfire (which is co-ed now, since 1979!).  He said one girl started talking about god during one of their nature walks and the Counselor asked that they not talk about God since not everyone shared the same beliefs, but to just experience nature as it is.  I was very glad to hear that!  LOVE Campfire!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tigerlily46514

Wow, Kerri, you musta been stoked!  I like both stories there!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."