News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Types of atheists/world view?

Started by JustAJ, June 09, 2010, 05:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustAJ

As I'm milling around the site an google I'm finding think things like.  World view: freethinker.   I'm just wondering what types or world views there are and mabye a brief description of them and differences.  Iv tried googleing it but haven't found anything that covers them all or ar too confusing

( once agin new to allthis an I appoligise for spelling)
"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence." - William Kingdon Clifford

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." ~ Carl Sagan

TheJackel

Quote from: "JustAJ"As I'm milling around the site an google I'm finding think things like.  World view: freethinker.   I'm just wondering what types or world views there are and mabye a brief description of them and differences.  Iv tried googleing it but haven't found anything that covers them all or ar too confusing

Look up Realist, Materialism, Secular, ectra..

Jack's Disciple

Quote from: "JustAJ"As I'm milling around the site an google I'm finding think things like.  World view: freethinker.   I'm just wondering what types or world views there are and mabye a brief description of them and differences.  Iv tried googleing it but haven't found anything that covers them all or ar too confusing

Hi there, JustAJ.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to actually define what a "worldview" is.  Most simply, a person's worldview is a description of the world (that is, the whole of reality) through which they interpret it and interact with it.  This description should deal with a number of questions:
  • What exists?  What is the "world" and what is it like?  In particular, what is the nature of human beings?
  • Why is the world the way it is?
  • What are "good" and "evil"?  What makes an act good or evil?
  • How do we know that what we believe is true?  (Indeed, do we know?)

Atheism is simply disbelief that God exists, and so is only a very partial answer to the first question of existence.  Atheists (just like theists) can and do have a wide range of different answers to these questions.  For each question (which relates to a particular branch of philosophy, respectively ontology, cosmology, ethics and epistemology) there are many different positions, some being more compatible with atheism/theism than others.

I would suggest that you have a think about the questions above and share some answers here, and you can be pointed in the direction of the positions that best fit you own views and the positions that directly challenge them - I think that way your research into these things will be a lot more helpful for you as you think about these things.

Whitney

Freethinker basically means that one looks inwardly for determining answers about life's questions rather than outwardly towards canned answers.

Quote from: "Jack's Disciple"Atheism is simply disbelief that God exists

It's nice to come across a Christian who knows what the word atheist means :)

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"It's nice to come across a Christian who knows what the word atheist means ;) )
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

JustAJ

@jacks questions

I'm not sure what the world is. I don't thinks its possible to decide which side is correct because no one has definite proof. I think that until either side can show any solid evidence on the subject the question of belief should be questionable for anyone. What's on this planet is just what's been here or come from whatever things evolve from ( u can tell how well read I am in the topics of philosophy and evolution) and what humans have created and that's it.  Human nature is to explain everything no matter the cost and I think for the BIG question early humans just said fantastic storys til this one stuck.  To me god is the dragons of story books. And humans don't and mabye never will be able to answer those questions.  So I just consider and look at options til I am reasonable and rationablely convinced. (and nonf that emotional I feel him in my heart crap ) no offence.

I'm thinking at this point I'm leaning toword free thinker

feel free to give thought or personal world views
"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence." - William Kingdon Clifford

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." ~ Carl Sagan

JustAJ

Iv been looking into this and What iv been finding that I really like are things on free thinking.  I read something today about the topic that I wanted to share   Im not sure how to make links but google- #60 how to be a free thinker. By Scott berkun. Kind of long but I liked it alot.

Gawen

Your useless trivial topic for the week...

Hitler coined the term 'Worldview'. If memory serves, its first usage is in Mein Kampf
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

Quote from: "Gawen"Your useless trivial topic for the week...

Hitler coined the term 'Worldview'. If memory serves, its first usage is in Mein Kampf
So he did make at least one worthwhile contribution to humanity!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Gawen"Your useless trivial topic for the week...

So he did make at least one worthwhile contribution to humanity!
World's first national highway system; theAutobann's, the Volkswagen, rocket/missile science, jet aircraft, synthetic fuels...

'Course, that don't make him good.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

dogsmycopilot

Satanic worldview. You can find most of what I think on the CoS website. (Not sure if I'm allowed to link that? Mods? If I'm wrong for doing that please remove it.) http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html But in brief I look at things with an eye toward style and responsibility. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked, Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them, When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there, are a few of the few rules we have. We look down on stupidity, pretentiousness, and self-deceit. We advocate all of the so called deadly sins.