News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Argh! Roommate Christian NUTJOB!

Started by Hector Valdez, May 31, 2012, 06:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector Valdez

Ok, so, to make a long story short, I'm staying at a friends house for the time being, but I'm the type of person that is constantly distracted by voice(i.e. television, radio, etc.) So, my friend constantly watches religious documentaries and religious talk-shows, and it's driving me nuts. Unfortunately, I don't have the heart to tell them to turn it off. :(

Argh! I want to debate everything that they sasy, but I'm really just trying to concentrate and use the internet without constantly having to listen to this stuff and wage mental wars within myself. It's exhausting.

Ali

I don't think you should tell your friend to turn off his shows if he is letting you stay in his house.  Could you go in another room or put in headphones and listen to music or something?

Firebird

Yeah, agreed. You're their guest, so if they want to brain-wash themselves, it's their right, as tempting as it may be to argue with them. Save it for after you move out :) Noise-canceling headphones are a good idea here.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

While I agree with what seems to be the consensus for now, I, for one, do expext my guests to tell me if something I do is annoying to them. To me, being a good host is more important than maintaining my usual lifestyle at all times, regardless of who I happen to share my life with.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dobermonster

If you really feel the need to say something, don't make it a religious discussion. Rather, politely ask if they could keep the sound down when you're at the computer because you have trouble concentrating, or it gives you a headache, whatever.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Ali on May 31, 2012, 06:25:27 PM
I don't think you should tell your friend to turn off his shows if he is letting you stay in his house.  Could you go in another room or put in headphones and listen to music or something?
Ear plugs can work to.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sweetdeath

Are you staying on their couch or something?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

'Fraid you've got to put up with it, mate, if you're staying with him.  Mind you, it would drive me loony as well.

Crow

Why do you have a room mate? I'm guessing from all the American college based movies it has something to do with that. Why do they do that anyway?
Retired member.

Asmodean

Many people here retn an appartment or a house together too, but those usually know each other, so they can decide beforehand whether or not they want to be in bed, so to speak, with whoever else is interested.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Velma

I've had a thought.  Just tell your friend you find it distracting (you wouldn't have to mention exactly why if you don't want to) and ask if they could use headphones at least occasionally.  Most televisions have headphone jacks.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

unless it's suppper late, like after midnight. you can only ask to lower sound. not much you  can do, unless you are paying some sort of rent.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.