News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

kids movie perfectly illustrating the studipity religion can cause.

Started by kitty, May 23, 2012, 12:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitty

watching toy story with my son, and the 'claw' perfectly illustrates how daft religion can make people. made me laugh so i thought i'd share x
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

kitty

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Tank

Quote from: kitty on May 23, 2012, 12:06:28 PM
watching toy story with my son, and the 'claw' perfectly illustrates how daft religion can make people. made me laugh so i thought i'd share x

"I don't know what did that! It must have been (insert random superstition)."
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

And the claw, totally oblivious to the fact that it's being worshipped...waste of little alien toy energy.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 23, 2012, 06:58:26 PM
And the claw, totally oblivious to the fact that it's being worshipped...waste of little alien toy energy.

Poor sad aliens.

Btw, your fork is amazing. I totally envy you.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

history_geek

I remember laughing when I first saw that seen too, years ago. I think I would laugh even harder now though :P

Especially when the poor alien though it was "going to a better place". I can't be sure, but I doubt being a dogs chew toy is what he meant....*insert evil laughter* ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

kitty

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 23, 2012, 07:42:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 23, 2012, 06:58:26 PM

Poor sad aliens.

Quote from: history_geek on May 24, 2012, 07:50:36 AM
I remember laughing when I first saw that seen too, years ago. I think I would laugh even harder now though :P

Especially when the poor alien though it was "going to a better place". I can't be sure, but I doubt being a dogs chew toy is what he meant....*insert evil laughter* ;D

dont think sid's house could ever be considered 'a better place'.
so sad.
and to think, when i first watched this, i was a christian and it still made me laugh. just didnt realise i was being dumb like them too lol.
but its that whole lack of control over their own lives thing i suppose, its easier to put trust in the claw than take responsiblity.
oooo its a bit early for indepth stuff. and its a kids movie lol.

fester30

You guys are pointing out how stupid the aliens are for giving reverence to the claw.  You have to admit, however, that they even have a reason to make fun of religious people.  The claw is real.  It's actually there.  It has a measurable, physical presence, and it does take them to another place.  In that respect, their claw religion makes more sense than humans' worship of unmeasurable supernatural beings.

history_geek

Quote from: fester30 on May 24, 2012, 08:44:36 AM
You guys are pointing out how stupid the aliens are for giving reverence to the claw.  You have to admit, however, that they even have a reason to make fun of religious people.  The claw is real.  It's actually there.  It has a measurable, physical presence, and it does take them to another place.  In that respect, their claw religion makes more sense than humans' worship of unmeasurable supernatural beings.

True. All the aliens are really doing is adding the idea that the Claw has its own will and that one can leave only if you have been "chosen"...and the idea of a "better place beyond".

Also, to my last message: "...saw that *scene..."

Not to self: stop responding to forum when you're half a sleep and/or in class... :-X
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: fester30 on May 24, 2012, 08:44:36 AM

You do have a good point there. ;D

But people still project intentionality onto things that are real too, which would be god by proxy. Natural disasters, tragedies, etc.

cgmccall

I'll never forget how hard my parents laughed when Woody was fighting to keep Buzz in the bin, kicking the aliens yelling "Stop! Stop it ya zealouts!"

rainbowcat212

Haha... I never thought of it that way. Looking at it that way, it really is kinda funny. The claw is there and they can see it. Te thing that they do is add some superstition to it. I would have to agree though... I don't think that being a dog's chew toy is my idea of a "better place"
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

fester30

The claw is real, and the toy aliens are in a box where they don't see the outside world.  All they know is of each other and the claw, and that when the claw grabs one of them, that one of them leaves and never comes back.  Their ignorance of what is outside the box that is their home is what they fill with worship of the claw and the idea of something better on the other side.

If you put humans in a box in the same manner from birth until death, I imagine you'd get a similar response.  Either fear or admiration of the claw, or both, as well as supernatural properties assigned to it.  Not unlike early humans, whose box was ignorance of the physical world and the universe, who assigned supernatural properties to lightning, volcanoes, the sun, etc.  Just give the toy aliens a few thousand years outside the box and they'll catch up :)

Hector Valdez

QuoteA few thousand yearsoutside the box

I should slap you that was so damn corny.

Even more important, however, is that most religious people view other religions in exactly the same way. Which is probably why everyone laughed when woody called the aliens zealots. Hummm...ho...