News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Poetry Thread

Started by Biggus Dickus, September 11, 2021, 05:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

I couldn't find the poetry thread, so my apologies for making a new one if I just didn't look hard enough. :P

RULERS

By Fenton Johnson

It is said that many a king in troubled Europe would sell his crown for a day of happiness.

I have seen a monarch who held tightly the jewel of happiness.

On Lombard street in Philadelphia, as evening dropped to earth, I gazed upon a laborer duskier than a sky devoid of moon. He was seated on a throne of flour bags, waving his hand imperiously as two small boys played on their guitars the ragtime tunes of the day.

God's blessing on the monarch who rules on Lombard Street in Philadelphia.

I love this poem, as I have seen such monarchs in my life.

About the Author.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

i met a treveller from an antique land

who said

two vast and trunless legs of stone stand in the desert

near them half sunk

ashattered visage lies

whose frown , and wrinkled lip

an sneer of cold command

tell that these passions well that scuptor read
which yet survuve

stamped on these lifeless things

the hand that mocked him\

and the heart that fed.

on the pedestal these words appear

my name is ozymandias

king of kingsd

look on my works ye mighty]\

and despar.

nothing beside remains

round the decay of that colossal wreck

boundless and bare

the lone and level sands stretch far away.

poetry is something that you can put in your head and keep. i have been screwing up my courage to memorize coleridges rhyme of the ancient mariner for some years. i may soon be obligated to do it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

The only thing that I have ever committed to memory by purpose was a table of integrals for a test in my second semester calculus class, which was techniques of integration. I ran a power shear at a shop that made all kinds of things from sheet goods. I cut thousands of the blanks for JBL speaker tweeter cones, for example. That shear's original use was for cutting paper sheet to size for the newspaper. It was set up so that one had to use both hands to make the blade descend. In the past it was only one hand, and people probably lost parts, thus the extra safety. But I digress. The next machine over was a press. The principal job for that was cutting separators for transformer plates for the local power utility. It was a really mindless task, only requiring one to place the die on the insulating material, swing the platen over, and press the buttons. In this case, two buttons, one under each thumb. If one put their hand(s) under that platen and it descended, one's hands would have ended up as thick as the gap, which was pretty small. Finally, the story. This task was really boring, so I copied the table of integrals out of my text onto a sheet of quad paper and taped it to the platen. Every time I repositioned the platen over the lower table, I'd look at an integral. When I swung the platen away, I'd think about that integral, and when I swung it back after repositioning the platen. I memorized PAGES of those integrals, in time for the test. Good thing too, because I got transferred back to the power shear a couple of days later. Guess they didn't like it that I was studying on company time. :lol:

billy rubin

you are absolutely bizarre.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Magdalena

You guys are so bizarre.
Ay, dios, mio!
:lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

him first.

iknow all about OSHA zafety standards for bookbindig guillotines, although i cannot femember why . we used to have a foot treadle i  addition to the the hand switches.

but tbe calculus is over the top. . thats just weird brainy stuff.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on September 12, 2021, 04:01:44 AM
him first.

iknow all about OSHA zafety standards for bookbindig guillotines, although i cannot femember why . we used to have a foot treadle i  addition to the the hand switches.

but tbe calculus is over the top. . thats just weird brainy stuff.

Pff. I took on another 30 semester units of mathematics and about 60 semester units of physics for my physics degree. Plus, toss in some nuclear engineering on the side. Weird? Just a matter of perspective, I guess. My first job out of uni was working at a company that beat out two national labs for an isotope separation process. I didn't have much to do with it, as the process had been proven before I got there. I was hired to be the interface between the physicists and the mechanical engineers, based on my background. It took about 3 months of digging before I realized that the communication problem was based on my supervisor's and the mechanical design group's supervisor's inabilities to get along. :lol: I was very careful to make work for myself after that, because if I actually said what the problem was, I might get laid off... :lol: which happened 6 months later anyway, when the program was cancelled.

Math and physics contain much beauty. So does poetry, which we seem to have strayed from...

billy rubin

from my mothers womb i fell into the state

and hunched in its belly til my wetfurfroze

miles above the earth

loosedfrom its dream of life

i woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters

when i died they washed me out of the turretwith a hose

Icarus

My favorite poet is/was Ogden Nash.  That confession will reveal my diminished level of sophistication.

billy rubin

i am unsophisticated too

twas windy, and th edirty crows

did screech and tumble in the sun

all mouldy were my wooden toes

and th emonster mouse did run

Dark Lightning

For poetry, I could dredge up some really low-brow limericks. Here's the world's shortest-

There was a young lad named Fürster
Screwed his girl 'til he burst her

billy rubin

there once was a girl from the dale

who filtered her shit through a veil

but her asshole was rotten

and the veil was old cotton

so she splattered all over the pail

sorry

hermes2015

I have a tin ear for poetry, which is an embarrassing confession, given my general interest in the arts. I am only able to appreciate two poets: Walt Whitman and Allen Ginsburg. I don't know what it says about me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames