News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Last Debate

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 23, 2020, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, I watched it.  My take on it generally  is that Trump did a better job and was more behaved. But he is still Trump, so he lied, and lied, and lied. 

Trump's strong points: 1) he basically observed the rules of debate, which surprisingly shows he can change a bit; 2) he came armed with some ammo against Biden, showing some preparation; 3) he hit Biden on fracking, which may impact the vote in Pennsylvania and Texas; 4) he was somewhat successful in splitting Biden from the far left, which may cost Biden some Bernie Sanders voters; and 5) he nailed Biden on his support for the crime bill that put thousands of blacks in prison.

Trump's weaknesses: 1) lies, damn lies, and Covid statistics; 2) he ain't got nothing on health care or Social Security; 3) he is as evil as they come on separating little children from their parents at the border; and 4) the best for blacks since Lincoln? Can anyone say "LBJ"?

Biden's strengths: 1) what a relief it would be to have a Pres who didn't provide daily drama - boredom would be welcome; 2) not as many lies; 3) he actually has a plan on most issues; 4) I would much rather have a beer with Biden than Trump (I don't trust people who willingly don't drink); and 5) It is clear that Biden actually WANTS to help people.

Biden's weaknesses: 1) toward the end he looked tired and a bit ready to quit; 2) he is not energetic and exciting like Trump, who is an entertainer; and 3) his son Hunter may end up being a liability in the remaining days of the campaign. 

On balance, Biden was at least even with Trump, which is all he had to do.  I'm still for Papa Joe. But the next 11 days are going to be hell.  Strap in.

billy rubin

biden had the perfect answer for trump's accusations of taking millions of dollars in bribes from china, ukraine, and so on.

he said, you can look at my finances-- i have released 22 years of financial records. where are YOUR tax records, donald?

this crap about bribes and kickbacks and so on can be thrown right back into trump's face every time by just pointing out whose finances are public, and whose aren't.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

I've read something in a paper about the oil industry and Biden being on the do-away-with-it train.

If that is the case, I can see how it can play poorly for him in the more industrial states.

Didn't watch the debate though, so... Yeah. Whoever wins, wins. From an ocean away, if it's Trump - nothing changes. If it's Biden - I'll have to reorganise some assets. Some say invest in the war machine, but meh.

It's a choice between a probably senile old man and a... Trump. There are some pros to both, but as I see it, mostly cons.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

youve touched on a major flaw in americaj government-- our elected representativez have not trained their replacements.

biden haz been in the senate since he was 30 years old.

how many are 30 years old today?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Politics has been an old man's game since time immemorial. It may not even be a problem in itself - youth is wasted on the young. Wisdom, such as it is, is wasted on the old.

I think the larger issue lies in a population of highly-entitled "special-nobodies," who are not content to wait for generations for stable and lasting shifts in the social, economic and political winds to take root, but in stead, who want to dismantle, upend and remake The Systemâ„¢ in their own image. What's the problem with that, you ask? Every failed revolution in history. You don't even have to look that far. Arab Spring springs (Couldn't find drum emoticon. Insert here) to mind.

I've talked this issue to death and rebirth, but as a point of relevance to this particular case, I'd take either of the probably-senile old man or the sitting president long before some Millennial Twitterati who demands respect for their pronouns, insists that their 151st gender is real, thinks that it's OK to "ban the wrongthink" in real life, that no matter the side of the hill you climb, everyone has the right to be at the top (as opposed to the right to try and reach it) and that being huwhite somehow automatically grants the power of Evil. (Trust you me - that one has to be earned)

Also, do note that this is not some bitter old Asmo ranting about "kids these days, am I right?" Them zoomers seem to be a little better than my own generation. Millennials, on the other hand... yeah. We well and truly are a bunch of spoiled should-have-beens.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

I always wondered why all those old politicians don't retire like we do. What is the point of having your country ruled by people who are mentally not in top form. Personally,  I would never vote for anyone older than my age.

Regarding the last debate, I didn't watch that one either. Apparently Trump performed better than in the first debate and Biden finally admitted that he wants to get rid of fossil fuels.  Not sure that the average US voter is going to like that. But in any case, Biden is likely to win from George Bush  ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein