News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

This Crisis Will Test The Leaders (Warning! Contains Vitriol)

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 25, 2020, 09:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on April 12, 2020, 03:45:48 AM
I have sympathy for xSp and the plight of her country that endures a psychopathic leader.

I have some sympathy for me also.  I have a psychopathic leader as well.  My leader has taken to the airwaves daily,  to deliver word salad bullshit.  Because we are confined to our shelter in place existence, we are daily exposed to The Donald's interminably bleating public briefings.

I am desperately trying to remember the correct words for a Hispanic saying that I learned in my youth..................Yamo e yamo e yo no sey nada..............I need much help with this' Mags. Please write it correctly so that I can get it right   

The saying is about a frog who croaks incessantly:  He talks and he talks and he don"t say nothing.
:notsure:
Could it be,
"Habla y habla y no dice nada." Or "Habla y habla pero no dice nada."
:shrug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

hemingway would have put it habla y habla y dice nada y peuz nada y nada nada habla maz nada y puez mas y maz nada

y pues

fizh, under the bridge
swimming, againzt the current
still but in motion

y puez ze dice nada

or something like that anyway

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on April 12, 2020, 07:30:12 PM
hemingway would have put it habla y habla y dice nada y peuz nada y nada nada habla maz nada y puez mas y maz nada

y pues

fizh, under the bridge
swimming, againzt the current
still but in motion

y puez ze dice nada

or something like that anyway
Pues...si.

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on April 12, 2020, 03:45:48 AM
I have sympathy for xSp and the plight of her country that endures a psychopathic leader.

I have some sympathy for me also.  I have a psychopathic leader as well.  My leader has taken to the airwaves daily,  to deliver word salad bullshit.  Because we are confined to our shelter in place existence, we are daily exposed to The Donald's interminably bleating public briefings.

Yes, Icarus. Both our countries could do without such people at the helm. They will cause unnecessary damage atop the damage the virus itself will bring to the population, economy, etc...

Yesterday the Brazilian Minister of Health was being interviewed on national TV and when asked about the actions of the President, who goes out onto the streets every day and touches his brain-dead minions who gather round him for selfies, possibly spreading the virus, the Minister tried to protect the President by saying that he was not the enemy. The real enemy is the new coronavirus.

:wtf:

The Minister seems to be lacking the backbone to bite the hand that feeds him. Of course the President also the enemy! And if Trump is anything similar he's also the enemy of the US. I don't know about the States, but having leaders like that is one of the things that will weaken our outcome in this 'war'. We have to fight on two fucking fronts, not just against the damage the virus will cause, but against morons as well.

I don't know what Bolsonaro thinks he'll get out of sowing chaos. But it scares me. Stupidity has always been scary.   

xSilverPhinx

No one

Argentium:
Yes, Icarus. Both our countries could do without such people at the helm. They will cause unnecessary damage atop the damage the virus itself will bring to the population, economy, etc...

I should be appointed as Supreme Chancellor of the planet. All the ills will be absolved.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on April 14, 2020, 09:40:52 PM
Argentium:

I should be appointed as Supreme Chancellor of the planet. All the ills will be absolved.

*Thunderous applause*

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

xSilverPhinx

Welp, Bolsonaro will be firing the Minister of Health this week because

a) The Minister has way more popular support than him. A megalomaniac just can't have being outshone (about 70% vs. 30%).
b) The Minister (who is a science-orientated medical doctor) is not aligned with his idea of having businesses open again and people return to their normal lives. Bolsonaro saying inane stuff like "let just the elderly stay at home" shows a complete lack of understanding on how viral infections work.

I'm waiting to see how this plays out, and hoping it's going to be Bolsonaro shooting himself in the foot. The opposition are calling for him to be tried in the International Court for crimes against humanity, but the opposition are incredibly weak.

I'm hoping something good comes of this, but am braced for the worst.

xSilverPhinx

Bolsonaro is taking his first steps towards military dictatorship. I only hope those who have the power to remove him, do so.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 24, 2020, 04:14:35 PM
Bolsonaro is taking his first steps towards military dictatorship. I only hope those who have the power to remove him, do so.

What is he doing?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 24, 2020, 05:54:14 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 24, 2020, 04:14:35 PM

What is he doing?

Where do I start?  :banging head:

I could start with the baby steps Bolsonaro took during his election campaign but that would be going back too far for now.

Likewise, I could start with the insidious placement of military personnel in important and strategic government positions, but that's been going on for quite a while now. The sleepy Brazilian population let that happen, now the government is full of high-ranking military men. Coupled with slowly militarizing the government, Bolsonaro recently participated in a pro-military intervention, anti-democracy rally which really raised eyebrows and resulted in a judicial and political slap on the wrist for Bolsonaro. He was taking more confident strides, then.

Here are some pics of the pro-Bolsonaro rally:

Banner says: Military intervention now with Bolsonaro in power.

AI-5: Institutional Act Number 5.

QuoteThe immediate consequences of the AI-5 were:

The President of the Republic was given authority to order the National Congress and the State Legislative Assemblies into forced recess.  This Unclassified document shows how AI-5 forced Municipal Councils to recess. This document, which was declassified, discusses how a powerful military General thought that the Congress being closed was a "blessing." Costa e Silva used this power almost as soon as AI-5 was signed, resulting in the closure of the National Congress and all state legislatures except that of São Paulo for almost a year. The power to order the National Congress into recess would be used again in 1977.
    The assumption by the President of the Republic and the Governors of the States, during the periods of forced recess of the federal and state Legislatures, respectively, of the fullness of the legislative power, enabling the President and the Governors to legislate by decrees with the same force and effect as statutes passed by the legislative Chambers. This power included the power to legislate constitutional amendments. A sweeping amendment of Brazil's 1967 Constitution (already adopted under the Military Regime) was promulgated in 1969 (Constitutional Amendment number 1, also known as the 1969 Constitution, because the entire altered and consolidated text of the Constitution was re-published as part of the Amendment), under the authority transferred to the Executive Branch by the AI-5.
    the permission for the federal government, under the pretext of "national security", to intervene in states and municipalities, suspending the local authorities and appointing federal interventors to run the states and the municipalities;
    the preliminary censorship of music, films, theater and television (a work could be censored if it was understood as subverting the political and moral values) and the censorship of the press and of other means of mass communication;
    the illegality of political meetings not authorized by the police;
    the suspension of habeas corpus for crimes of political motivation.
    the assumption by the President of the Republic of the power of sacking summarily any public servant, including elected political officers and judges, if they were found to be subversive or un-cooperative with the regime. This power was widely used to vacate the seats of Opposition members in the Legislative branch, so that elections would be held as usual, but the composition of the Legislature resulting from the elections would be dramatically changed by the deprivation of office of Opposition legislators, effectively transforming the Federal, State and even municipal legislatures in rubber-stamp bodies. The deprivation of office of Opposition legislators also affected the makeup of the Electoral College of the President of the Republic (under the 1967 and 1969 Constitutions, adopted under the military regime, the President was chosen by an Electoral College made up of the entire National Congress, and of delegates chosen by the State Assemblies). Thus, not only elections for the Executive Branch were indirect, but the vacancies created in the composition of the Legislative bodies affected the makeup of the Electoral College, so that it also became a rubber-stamp body of the military regime.
     By passing AI-5 the dictatorship could take away anyone's political rights for up to ten years, and put the death penalty back into effect
    the instant legitimacy of certain types of decrees issued by the President, that were made not liable to judicial review. Under those provisions, the Institutional Acts themselves, and any action based on an Institutional Act (such as a decree suspending political rights or removing someone from office), were not subject to judicial review.

Notice how these banners are basically the same colour/fabric? In pics of the rally they are spread out. To me this suggests Bolsonaro's cronies placed them there.

To be continued...

xSilverPhinx

But anyway...

I'll focus on the leap he took which shook Brazil this morning. 

The Minister of Justice, Sérgio Moro, quit and in an address to the nation (which Bolsonaro most likely did not green-light), he accused Bolsonaro of firing the chief of the Federal Police in order to place an Intelligence officer who he controls. This is very serious as a democracy requires that institutions such as the Federal Police have autonomy to do their work. Why would he do that? According to Moro, Bolsonaro removed the chief so he can control investigations into organised crime schemes, which the president's sons are involved. According to Moro, they forged his signature in an official document in which the removal was announced and made official. Also according to Moro, he was promised a "carte blanche" to appoint whomever he wanted when he accepted the position of Minister of Justice (the Federal Police are under the Minister of Justice) and Bolsonaro went back on that promise.

(On that last point, it's very naive of Moro to think a corrupt politician would keep their promises, but that's beyond the point.)     

What's important is that the Bolsonaro clan are a mafia. What I want to know is why the Bolsonaros aren't spouting one of their slogans anymore, namely "A good criminal is a dead criminal", while waving their hands making silly firing gun signs.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Well, when you have asshats who's shoe size is 3 times their IQ directing the equally brilliant masses, you end up with dangerous situations.

This baloneysandwich of Brazil, can give the king if trumptardia a real run for his money.