Main Menu

UK election

Started by Dave, June 09, 2017, 08:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Gloucester on June 10, 2017, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 10, 2017, 04:05:16 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 10, 2017, 01:32:55 PM

Also it looks like she has trouble with her advisers, many Tories want them sacked. Will she? Getting too much like a mini-Trump problem every day!

Her two key advisers have now "resigned".

Yeah, heard that. Takes the onus of publicly sacking them off May.

I think the only thing saving May is Brexit.  The Tories know time is limited to get the negotiations all done, they don't have time to elect a new leader too.  I can't see her lasting 5-years though.

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 10, 2017, 04:31:35 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 10, 2017, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 10, 2017, 04:05:16 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 10, 2017, 01:32:55 PM

Also it looks like she has trouble with her advisers, many Tories want them sacked. Will she? Getting too much like a mini-Trump problem every day!

Her two key advisers have now "resigned".

Yeah, heard that. Takes the onus of publicly sacking them off May.

I think the only thing saving May is Brexit.  The Tories know time is limited to get the negotiations all done, they don't have time to elect a new leader too.  I can't see her lasting 5-years though.

Chances are that if they don't make a success out of Brexit the Tories will be out of it for the rest of this century. At the moment, unless they are keeping all the good stuff wrapped up to surpruse us, they do not seem to have the faintest idea how to achieve that success.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Claireliontamer

Dave

Seems May git a bit of an ultimatum, "Sack those advisers or face a leadership challenge.

So she managed to duck out of sacking them, and thus tacitly admitting she had bern happy with their performance, whilst them "resigning" takes a little pressure off her.

My estimation of the political animal reaches new depths and my contempt new heights.

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 10, 2017, 05:52:25 PM
http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-book-of-jeremy-corbyn

This is good.  I give you the book of Jeremy Corbyn.

Like it!

Only change I would make is:

QuoteAnd the people said, "Shit! Not another one!"

Recusant

One wonders whether the Conservative (in particular May's) insistence on various 'austerity' measures is entirely aboveboard and motivated by the national interest. Behold, the 'Magic Money Tree'. (For reference)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 10, 2017, 07:20:28 PM
One wonders whether the Conservative (in particular May's) insistence on various 'austerity' measures is entirely aboveboard and motivated by the national interest. Behold, the 'Magic Money Tree'. (For reference)

In my mind, even if they start off with ideals, the higher the politicians get the more corrupt, if only indirectly, they become. This does not surprise me at all. But, of course, I am sure it is all perfectly legal.

No one

Gloucester:
In my mind, even if they start off with ideals, the higher thebpoliticians get the more corruot, if only indirectly, they become.

Hey now, not all politicians are bad.  Some are dead.

Dave

Quote from: No one on June 10, 2017, 08:14:38 PM
Gloucester:
In my mind, even if they start off with ideals, the higher thebpoliticians get the more corruot, if only indirectly, they become.

Hey now, not all politicians are bad.  Some are dead.

Yeah!

Corrupt was probably not a good word but the whole system stinks, if only because our representatives cannot vote for anything but whst thrir oarty wsnts. And that is not always to the good of the nation. But that many are motivated by power or money in the final anslysis I have no doubt.

Having fucked things up they refuse to stand down knowing full well they can never undo their errors because going against their ideology and their own erroneous thinking is unthinkable. And of course, despite all that the rest of they world says, they are right and everyone else wrong.

In some ways am glad I am 72 with a serious heart condition - just hoping they fon't fuck things up so well that inflation and tarrifs don't wipe out my savings before I kick the bucket.

Dave

Hasn'-t even hit the net yet but a Tory MP on the radio said rebels are demanding a change in the style of government.

OldGit

I bet.  They'll be wanting May's head, but as others have said, they probably won't do it just yet. A bit less of the autocratic dictator would help her for now.

Dave

On a philosophical point, in reflection, my use of "corrupt" was valid. It is often used now to mean taking action for gains of a pecuniary or authorative nature. But ideals that are perverted (another word now saddled with a specific context) into subservience to an ideology could certainly also be corrupted. Calling a politician "corrupt" is a little more acceptable than calling him or her "perverted" these days!

We are losing nuances of language, narrowing context to fit sound-bites and media-speak.

Arturo

QuoteWe are losing nuances of language, narrowing context to fit sound-bites and media-speak.

Welcome to America
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱