News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

'Signal' most probably shares a root with 'sign'. What about 'signature'? :notsure: I'm guessing it shares the same root as 'sign'.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2017, 10:05:14 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2017, 09:37:58 PM
Good one!

I would use it as a close synonym of "importance", but, somehow without the same implication if "value". "The significance of this action is evident in the resulting social and political changes. The "action" is possibly also "important", but using "significance" implies that it is not critical in the context.

"Fred was a significant figure in history", "Tom was an important figure in history". I would say that Tom had more value in, more impact on, the historical outcome than Fred.

Yes, the most common usage I encounter for the word is in that sense, I was wondering if if it could be used in other ways. I'm looking for words in English that are equivalent to the same word in Portuguese, preferably words that look alike but they would obviously have to have the the same meaning.

QuoteDisappointingly Fowler does not offer any help here. Do you have a copy of, "Fowlers Modern English Usage" Silver? If not get one! I'll buy you one for the upcoming gifting season if necessary!

Sorry, doubt that I helped much, the nuances here are, er, delicate. It is what makes English so flexible, so suited to rhyming poetry!

:lol: I looked up Fowler's book, one of the local mega bookstores has it in e-book format, and cheap too! I think I may purchase it. Looks interesting. :grin:

A Chinese engineer where I worked had an old copy of a book of English usage, by example, written in English but in China for Chinese students. She inherited it from her father - I lusted after it, it was a brilliantly written book - but no longer in print. The author was probably no longer on the party approved list.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2017, 10:15:14 PM
'Signal' most probably shares a root with 'sign'. What about 'signature'? :notsure: I'm guessing it shares the same root as 'sign'.

It comes from "signum", a mark or token and, guess what, so does "sign". "Signature" comes from "signare", to sign or to mark. Same family.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2017, 10:15:38 PM
A Chinese engineer where I eorked had an old vopy of a nook of English usage, by example, written in English but in China for Chinese students. She inherited it from her father - I lusted after it, it was a brilliantly written book - but no longer in print. The author was probably no longer on the party approved list.

Have you checked if it's available online? Some out-of-print books are.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2017, 10:20:55 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2017, 10:15:14 PM

It comes from "signum", a mark or token and, guess what, so does "sign". "Signature" comes from "signare", to sign or to mark. Same family.

:grin:

The modern Portuguese 'assinatura' has diverged a little from its Latin ancestor. :chin:

:lol: All these words in my head cause a bit of confusion at times, for instance, the word for 'pull' is 'puxe' (pooshee - which sounds a little like 'push', especially the damn 'sh') and there have been more than one occasion when I've tried to push a door with the word 'puxe' written on it in big, bright letters.  :blush: :run!: I'm such a mess. :P

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2017, 10:21:40 PM
A Chinese engineer where I eorked had an old vopy of a nook of English usage, by example, written in English but in China for Chinese students. She inherited it from her father - I lusted after it, it was a brilliantly written book - but no longer in print. The author was probably no longer on the party approved list.

Can't remember the title from 12 years ago! Can't remember what I had for lunch today.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2017, 10:31:21 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2017, 10:21:40 PM

Can't remember the title from 12 years ago! Can't remember what I had for lunch today.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

:o

Dave

Why, at almost 5-bloody-a-bloody-m, whilst laying awake after a trip to the loo, does my mind suddenly think of "marked" as a synonym for "significant" - as in, "He had a [insert here] effect on history"! Back to the link with "signal" and "signature" again, "making one's mark", on paper, in a job or situation . . .

Tsk, brains, who can tell how they work?

Oh, maybe people like you, Silver?

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 13, 2017, 05:13:00 AM
Has anyone suggested consequential?

Hmm, that suggests an order of events does it not, rather than just intrinsic value? "His actions were consequential in the formation of . . ." and,  "His actions were significant in the formation of . . ." don't quite match for me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 13, 2017, 05:19:17 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 13, 2017, 05:13:00 AM
Has anyone suggested consequential?

Hmm, that suggests an order of events does it not, rather than just intrinsic value? "His actions were consequential in the formation of . . ."

Yes, but it can be used as a synonym for important. Isn't English a marvellous language?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

QuoteYes, but it can be used as a synonym for important.
Hmm, maybe by some.  :snooty:

QuoteIsn't English a marvellous language?
YES!  :beer:

Later: OK, I give in on that, ask for synonyms of "consequential" and you get synonyms of "significant". But I think i would only use it in the "'order" sense. However, I have to agree "inconsequential" does imply nugatory.

Dave

I'll match your "consequential" and raise you a "substantial".

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 13, 2017, 05:04:06 AM
Why, at almost 5-bloody-a-bloody-m, whilst laying awake after a trip to the loo, does my mind suddenly think of "marked" as a synonym for "significant" - as in, "He had a [insert here] effect on history"! Back to the link with "signal" and "signature" again, "making one's mark", on paper, in a job or situation . . .

Tsk, brains, who can tell how they work?

Oh, maybe people like you, Silver?

:lol: I would love to be able to see the thought processes that go on in yours! :P  ;D