News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Circumcision

Started by Sophus, July 11, 2009, 07:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I view circumcision as child abuse. Little more to say on the subject, really... If an adult wants his banana peeled, then it's no business of mine. I'd rather people didn't force it on kids though.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Lermontov

Quote from: "Asmodean"I view circumcision as child abuse. Little more to say on the subject, really... If an adult wants his banana peeled, then it's no business of mine. I'd rather people didn't force it on kids though.

Completely agree. What about Baptism?
"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Lermontov"Completely agree. What about Baptism?
Child abuse, that too. Maybe not physical nor directly psychological, depending on the following years, but still abusive.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Croaker

Quote from: "-43-"
Quote from: "Arctonyx"
Quote from: "-43-"It is what it is, an archaic custom. But nobody is really harmed by it, so my apathy levels on circumcision are high.

Circumcision can lead to many problems in later life, but it is more the repulsion at taking something away from someone, without their consent, that they can never get back. There are some medical conditions where circumcision is a solution (such as hardening or tightening of the foreskin), but for religious reasons alone I would say that it is wrong. If they get to an age where they are allowed all the facts and can make a rational decision, and still want it done then I have nothing against it, it's their choice after all. But how can you do that to a child who has not even learnt his first word? He couldn't speak out against it even if he wanted to.

The only benefit of circumcision is hygiene, things like sensitivity vary so much from person to person anyway. Although some ladies do prefer a circumcised penis, again mostly for hygiene reasons.
That is a very pro-choice phrase, it's a common argument in any debate I have with that group.

I know the timestamp on this one is old, but I feel there's an important point to be made here.

Pro-choice is not a position that advocates choice over anything and everything - just the one case of abortion, and as such is a bit of misnomer. I would argue for someone's ability to choose to have an abortion, since (IMHO) life has not begun yet. I would not, however, argue for someone to have the ability to "choose," say, whether their kid should have two legs because they belong to the Church of the Divine Pegleg, or the ability to "choose" that they don't want their kid to be a boy. These are not "choices" I would defend, and saying that someone who is "pro-choice" cannot argue against circumcision is a bit like saying that they can't argue against these (and infinite other) "choices."

My mother (devout Christian pediatrician) views circumcision as a barbaric practice. I agree with her, and was truthfully appalled when my mother in law asked me if we would be circumcising my children, even though I was still a believer at that point. The argument for 'cleanliness' is just lazy.

borealis

Quote from: "Sophus"I'm just curious to see what the opinions on it are here. I know it's a bit controversial. So.... what do you think?

For short: child abuse. So I agree with Asmodean.

Don't get me started with this topic...
"Religion is a symptom of irrational belief and groundless hope." - Dr. House

jam406

Hey, I'm new here, first post.

Child circumcision is simply wrong though - unless it has to be done for medical purposes. Then it should be done by a proper doctor, not a religious believer/preacher/pastor, whatever. It's like in certain parts of the third world where they claim it as a 'Rite of Passage'. Completely medieval.

Asmodean

Quote from: "jam406"unless it has to be done for medical purposes
When you are like zero years old, what medical purposes could circumcision have, that could not be achieved by less invasive procedures?

Welcome to HAF, by the way.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sophus

Quote from: "jam406"Hey, I'm new here, first post.

Child circumcision is simply wrong though - unless it has to be done for medical purposes. Then it should be done by a proper doctor, not a religious believer/preacher/pastor, whatever.
Like Tim Tebow.  :|
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

pytheas

for the male idiotic (obviously medical operations for health reasons excluded)
for the female a heinous crime

"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Asmodean

You just can't resist practicing the ancient and honorable art of necromancy, can you?  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

I consider circumcision to be mutilation and don't understand how it came to be par for the course here in the U.S. That said, I had never really given it much thought until I heard a show several years ago where a doctor talked about how much sensitivity is lost w/ circumcision. There seems to be a real need for public education around the issue. Kylyssa, thanks for the information on the medical problems that can result. I had no idea.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on January 20, 2012, 09:01:03 PM
You just can't resist practicing the ancient and honorable art of necromancy, can you?  :P

Aren't old threads there to be f***d with?
Shouldn't people be encouraged to seek a relationship with the dead?
I think its fine, they shouldn't be surprised if they don't talk back though, hey that could be part of the attraction.
For those who feel drawn to the dead, I won't judge you, (well I probably will but not necessarily negatively) go for it.
Old thread necrophiliacs, be proud.

Asmodean

The Dead belong to The Asmo. How is he to create his army of zombies if they have all been resurrected? Huh? HOW?!  >:(

:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

philosoraptor

I think now, when it's no longer medically necessary, it's more a matter of aesthetics.  An uncircumcised penis kind of looks like a kolache.  It's just weird, although I think the reason we think it's weird when we see one is because we've been conditioned to believe it's not normal.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Asmodean

Quote from: philosoraptor on January 22, 2012, 07:48:32 AM
I think now, when it's no longer medically necessary, it's more a matter of aesthetics.  An uncircumcised penis kind of looks like a kolache.  It's just weird, although I think the reason we think it's weird when we see one is because we've been conditioned to believe it's not normal.
So what exactly is wrong with leaving the foreskin the fuck alone and then pulling it back when you want those circ'd aesthetics?

That said, where I am, a circumcised guy would be a rare find unless muzzie or a jew.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.