Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

...a refreshing change

Started by Jats, September 14, 2010, 06:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Jats""...criticise away, though try criticising what I say rather than how I say it
The latter serves to obscure the former, therefore the two are not dissimilar.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Tank

I find Jat's style interesting, impenetrable and amusing. It's different. If I were in a pub and somebody started talking that way I would just consider them odd, in a idiosyncratic sort of way. I see no reason to get upset at a way a person presents their thought, except if it makes them difficult to understand. I find it quite difficult to follow The Magic Pudding's posts but it's his style and different, which is good. We need characters! Eccentricity often gives a different view to consider. I value difference, to me it shows independence. Differences are what make us who we are, what makes us all unique.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Tank"I find Jat's style interesting, impenetrable and amusing. It's different. If I were in a pub and somebody started talking that way I would just consider them odd, in a idiosyncratic sort of way. I see no reason to get upset at a way a person presents their thought, except if it makes them difficult to understand. I find it quite difficult to follow The Magic Pudding's posts but it's his style and different, which is good. We need characters! Eccentricity often gives a different view to consider. I value difference, to me it shows independence. Differences are what make us who we are, what makes us all unique.

MP is cool.  Eccentric is fine.  MP doesn't make me wade through a pile of horsehockey to get to his point, and I appreciate that consideration the Puddinghead shows for his readers: pithy, acerbic, entertaining, and mostly spot-on.

A far cry from swimming through molasses.  Qouth the Bard:  "Brevity is the soul of wit."  To which I'd add, if I may, "clarity."

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"I find Jat's style interesting, impenetrable and amusing. It's different. If I were in a pub and somebody started talking that way I would just consider them odd, in a idiosyncratic sort of way. I see no reason to get upset at a way a person presents their thought, except if it makes them difficult to understand. I find it quite difficult to follow The Magic Pudding's posts but it's his style and different, which is good. We need characters! Eccentricity often gives a different view to consider. I value difference, to me it shows independence. Differences are what make us who we are, what makes us all unique.
Quoted for agreement.

I, for one, have no trouble reading Jats' posts.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

MP is cool.  Eccentric is fine.  MP doesn't make me wade through a pile of horsehockey to get to his point, and I appreciate that consideration the Puddinghead shows for his readers: pithy, acerbic, entertaining, and mostly spot-on.

A far cry from swimming through molasses.  Qouth the Bard:  "Brevity is the soul of wit."  To which I'd add, if I may, "clarity."
If Jats style is personally annoying, and I can see it would be, then why waste the effort to read his posts? I scan them, but I don't engage because I can't be arsed to figure out the detail, life's to short. So it's fair to point out that a style makes engagement difficult but putting a personal element of dislike? Not so sure that's particularly relevant, but that's just me and of course it's perfectly acceptable to criticise other peoples posting styles  :eek:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Aw shucks, I'm not entirely annoying, that's really moving.  :)

This is from the Alice in Wonderland movie:
Alice:  Do you think I’ve gone round the bend?
Father:  I’m afraid so.
             You’re mad, bonkers, off your head.
             But I’ll tell you a secret.
             All the best people are.

I don't have a problem with Jats, though he is a lecherous lizard.

karadan

I've never seen anyone post in the third person on a forum before. I find it difficult to read. My attention span isn't great so I tend to drift off when trying to read something tiresome.

For the record, I very much enjoy the posts of Thumpalumpacus, Tank and The Magic Pudding.

Isn't sycophantism great? :D

Oh and Jats, I unapologetically like emoticons.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Tank"If Jats style is personally annoying, and I can see it would be, then why waste the effort to read his posts? I scan them, but I don't engage because I can't be arsed to figure out the detail, life's to short.

Which is what I do when I'm bored.  Otherwise his posts go to the bottom of the to-do list.

QuoteSo it's fair to point out that a style makes engagement difficult but putting a personal element of dislike?

I have a deep dislike of pretension, and don't bother to hide it.  I do not like or dislike him; I don't know him.

QuoteNot so sure that's particularly relevant, but that's just me and of course it's perfectly acceptable to criticise other peoples posting styles  :eek:

No problem.  I'm sure my posting style arouses irritation in others, but hey, c'est la vie.

Also, what's a "NOMAD" moment?

Tank

NOMAD was a robotic probe in a Star Trek episode. Spock disables it with an unsolvable logic problem and while it's going around in mental circles Kirk beams it out into space where it explodes. So a NOMAD moment is when one if stuck in a logic loop  :D

tymygy

Quote from: "Tank"NOMAD was a robotic probe in a Star Trek episode. Spock disables it with an unsolvable logic problem and while it's going around in mental circles Kirk beams it out into space where it explodes. So a NOMAD moment is when one if stuck in a logic loop  :D
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Tank

Quote from: "tymygy"
Quote from: "Tank"NOMAD was a robotic probe in a Star Trek episode. Spock disables it with an unsolvable logic problem and while it's going around in mental circles Kirk beams it out into space where it explodes. So a NOMAD moment is when one if stuck in a logic loop  :D
True, but what one learns isn't always useful  lol

Thumpalumpacus