News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Sikh to Agnostic to Sikh?

Started by MyEyesAreBifocal, May 20, 2010, 09:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyEyesAreBifocal

Hello, I'm MyEyesAreBifocal and I've just joined this site a couple of minutes ago. I grew up in a Sikh household. I read a little of another thread "SIKH A LEARNER" and saw that this user was basically doing nothing. The thread was a waste of time. I however will give you a better thread ;) )  Although I wore a turban I never really believed in 'god'. In 2006 I had a very strong belief in my religion, but still not in 'god'. In 2007 though I had knew I didn't believe in 'god' and in 2008 I was known as the 'Turbaned Atheist" because of my public views on the non-existence of 'god'. During this period I never cut my beard, I just let it grow. In 2009 (after graduating from high school) I cut my hair and trimmed my beard (I didn't shave; I don't like being clean shaved).

I believe religions are products of their time. Sikhism was created by the 1st guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji, to teach against the many superstitions of Hinduism and Islam. And it was developed over time to counter the Muslim rule in the days of the 10th guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Guru Nanak himself says "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim." Meaning in god's view there is no difference in religions, just the way people act (good or bad). Realizing this I left Sikhism because I didn't like being in a religion. Also Guru Nanak taught that one must one true to themselves. Wearing the turban and not believing in ‘god’ wouldn’t make sense.

I have tried to find discrepancies in the religion but I can’t find anything except ‘god’s will’ and reincarnation. I believe Sikhi is the best religion in terms of equality and logic. Although I do not agree with the concept of ‘god’s will’ or reincarnation, Sikhi does not believe in heaven or hell (or the Devil), Adam and Eve, nor does it share a creationist view. It is also the only religion I know of where men and women are completely equal.

Now looking back I can see that I have always wanted to stand out. The city where I live is largely populated with Sikhs. But looking at the world, there are not too many Sikhs. When I used to go to my cousins house (who live up north to a more Caucasian town) I was very proud of my turban and beard because I stood out a lot. I fear merely trying to stand out caused me to change myself.

I believe Sikhi is the best religion in terms of equality and logic. Although I do not agree with the concept of ‘god’s will’ or reincarnation, Sikhi does not believe in heaven or hell (or the Devil), Adam and Eve, nor does it share a creationist view. It is also the only religion I know of where men and women are completely equal.

Now, I want to grow my hair again and tie a turban. I miss tying it in the morning, but I don’t want to go against Guru Nanak’s teaching of being true to oneself. Wearing a turban and keeping a beard makes me feel special. Also it makes me very noticeable (you can always spot a Sikh in a crowd).  

I believe that Sikhism has a lot to offer to the world and it just needs time to get noticed. Problem is that time is having a negative effect on the reli Hello, I'm MyEyesAreBifocal and I've just joined this site a couple of minutes ago. I grew up in a Sikh household. I read a little of another thread "SIKH A LEARNER" and saw that this user was basically doing nothing. The thread was a waste of time. I however will give you a better thread ;) )  Although I wore a turban I never really believed in 'god'. In 2006 I had a very strong belief in my religion, but still not in 'god'. In 2007 though I had knew I didn't believe in 'god' and in 2008 I was known as the 'Turbaned Atheist" because of my public views on the non-existence of 'god'. During this period I never cut my beard, I just let it grow. In 2009 (after graduating from high school) I cut my hair and trimmed my beard (I didn't shave; I don't like being clean shaved).

I believe religions are products of their time. Sikhism was created by the 1st guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji, to teach against the many superstitions of Hinduism and Islam. And it was developed over time to counter the Muslim rule in the days of the 10th guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Guru Nanak himself says "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim." Meaning in god's view there is no difference in religions, just the way people act (good or bad). Realizing this I left Sikhism because I didn't like being in a religion. Also Guru Nanak taught that one must one true to themselves. Wearing the turban and not believing in ‘god’ wouldn’t make sense.

I have tried to find discrepancies in the religion but I can’t find anything except ‘god’s will’ and reincarnation. I believe Sikhi is the best religion in terms of equality and logic. Although I do not agree with the concept of ‘god’s will’ or reincarnation, Sikhi does not believe in heaven or hell (or the Devil), Adam and Eve, nor does it share a creationist view. It is also the only religion I know of where men and women are completely equal.

Now looking back I can see that I have always wanted to stand out. The city where I live is largely populated with Sikhs. But looking at the world, there are not too many Sikhs. When I used to go to my cousins house (who live up north to a more Caucasian town) I was very proud of my turban and beard because I stood out a lot. I fear merely trying to stand out caused me to change myself.

I believe Sikhi is the best religion in terms of equality and logic. Although I do not agree with the concept of ‘god’s will’ or reincarnation, Sikhi does not believe in heaven or hell (or the Devil), Adam and Eve, nor does it share a creationist view. It is also the only religion I know of where men and women are completely equal.

Now, I want to grow my hair again and tie a turban. I miss tying it in the morning, but I don’t want to go against Guru Nanak’s teaching of being true to oneself. Wearing a turban and keeping a beard makes me feel special. Also it makes me very noticeable (you can always spot a Sikh in a crowd).  

I believe that Sikhism has a lot to offer to the world and it just needs time to get noticed. It is still a young religion. Problem is that time is having a negative effect on the religion. I believe I can help Sikhism get noticed. When a successful person wears a turban people inquire what their background is, and they find out about Sikhism. They don’t have to necessarily convert but they have the knowledge and that is all I ask for.

So what should I do? Follow Sikhism, but without the divinity?  I would like to read your views on my situation. Also, I would like to leave you with a quote I came up with.

“Even a ninja would be pressured to abandon his ways if he lived in our society.” -MyEyesAreBifocalgion. I believe I can help Sikhism get noticed. When a successful person wears a turban people inquire what their background is, and they find out about Sikhism. They don’t have to necessarily convert but they have the knowledge and that is all I ask for.

So what should I do? Follow Sikhism, but without the divinity?  I would like to read your views on my situation. Also, I would like to leave you with a quote I came up with.

“Even a ninja would be pressured to abandon his ways if he lived in our society.” -MyEyesAreBifocal

joeactor

Hello MyEyesAreBifocal - welcome to the forum.

My advice: Take the Best, Leave the Rest.

You like some of the teachings, philosophy and principles... so keep them.
Get rid of the religion, belief in god, etc, if they don't work for you.

As for the turban and beard.  Be true to yourself.  You like them, so keep them.
In the end, it's just some facial hair and a hat.

My 2 cents,
JoeActor

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "joeactor"In the end, it's just some facial hair and a hat.
How postmodern of you.  :D
-Curio

joeactor

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "joeactor"In the end, it's just some facial hair and a hat.
How postmodern of you.  :D

... you know everyone in a hat looks the same to me, Mother...

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tank

I must say that I do like the Sikh way of life. Take away the 'woo' and I like the way that it says 'Take us or leave us we are who we are!'. Also the charity and feeding the poor are not only good ideas, but Sikhs in the UK do a lot of good. But a 'live' book? Sorry, that's going a little far.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.