News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Random Morality Poll

Started by MommaSquid, July 05, 2006, 05:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "Big Mac"Well they teach Special Forces that for years and even then it's a so so possibility at best. Guns are not as bad as you think. We took my friend from Saudi to go shoot some AK's and he had never so much as held a BB gun. Hell he thought that the whole round went through the barrell (I'm not kidding) and after we explained how it work he said he felt "really dumb". But it's a naturally assumption for people who haven't used a firearm. I find it soothing in all honesty. I think you're the one on AN who mentioned dating a cop when I was talking about how I want to become one. (I still do and I'm working on the needed college hours and getting into better shape, it's a good thing Austin PD is desperate for cops)

Doesn't that type of gun basically work by hitting the round with the thingy (like my technical wording? :P) causing it to fire then spits out the casing?

Ya that was probably me on the AN.  You should do it.  You get a cool car with lights and can arrest bad people.  Plus, girls love a man in uniform.

I really want to. It pays pretty good. 2 years at APD will yield a salary of 55k a year. And tonight me and a friend were eating in our security unifrorms (which look like APD uniforms, no joke) and they gave us the Cop Discount which is 50 percent! That right there showed me the perks of being a cop.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Big Mac

The trigger releases the hammer which hits the firing pin (but in the case of my Nagant, the firing pin is attached to the hammer) and that ignites the primer (or the stud thing which at the back that looks lik an out belly button) which sets the controlled explosion to propel the bullet (the lead that flies out) from the round and through the barrel.

And you are correct, sort of, semi-automatic weapons will automatically eject the casing and chamber another round. Revolvers don't, so supposedly (though often incorrect) are ideal for murder. The Nagant is a special case, since it creates a gas seal with the unusual round and the fact the chamber moves forward when cocked. It actually has been modified with a silencer by the Russians.

McQ

Quote from: "Big Mac"... But it's a naturally assumption for people who haven't used a firearm. I find it soothing in all honesty.

Please tell me that you don't find the idea of shooting someone soothing. Just the act of practicing with your weapon. LOL!

And good luck with the progress your making toward working for the APD.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Jassman

laetus, here's the HowStuffWorks article complete with flash animations:

HowStuffWorks: How Machine Guns Work

(Thanks again, Marshall Brain.)
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Big Mac

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "Big Mac"... But it's a naturally assumption for people who haven't used a firearm. I find it soothing in all honesty.

Please tell me that you don't find the idea of shooting someone soothing. Just the act of practicing with your weapon. LOL!

And good luck with the progress your making toward working for the APD.

No not human beings, paper targets. To me a gun range is like a rather loud symphony when I have my ear plugs in. I hope I never have to shoot anybody, in all honesty. That's actually a thing taught by a lot of instructors, deescalation of violence. In fact a lot of CCL in Texas are 7 times less likely to be arrested for violent crime than normal citizens. That's pretty amazing considering they are carrying a lethal weapon.

Thanks, I'm going to try my best.

MommaSquid

I second the well wishes to our future man in uniform.  

The CCW course taught in AZ emphasizes the other means of discouraging an attacker.  Use your voice to scare him off, always have a cell phone to call 911, blind him with a flashlight, blast him with pepper spray and run.  There are always options to consider before shooting.  If you don't want to spend the rest of your life in jail, you better run through the list before you fire.

I have a license to carry a concealed weapon.  That doesn't mean I always have one on my person, but you never know.  And that's half the fun for me.   :D

Whitney

Quote from: "Jassman"laetus, here's the HowStuffWorks article complete with flash animations:

HowStuffWorks: How Machine Guns Work

(Thanks again, Marshall Brain.)
\

Thanks for the link. That's pretty much what I was imagining when i was guessing how they worked.  Maybe I've watched too many action flicks.  How stuff works is a great site for understanding various things.  The part on evolution is pretty good too.

Big Mac

Now the only thing it doesn't have is "How World Domination works."

McQ

The "How Stuff Works" section on Machine Guns is very nice. I wasn't sure how easy to understand it would be for people who weren't familiar with weapons but they do a nice job of it. I'm most familiar with the gas systems, as in the M16 series weapons, and they describe it perfectly. I'll check on their helicopter section to see what they do in that one. I'm guessing it'll be just as good.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Court

I have an irrational fear of guns as well, although my stepdad has been trying to get me over it lately (He hunts and has a small arsenal in his bedroom :)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Jassman

Quote from: "Court"a sexy girl with a gun.

Why do you have to tease the imagination?
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

MommaSquid

Quick, somebody get a hose! :P

Court

Quote from: "Jassman"
Quote from: "Court"a sexy girl with a gun.

Why do you have to tease the imagination?

How is that teasing? I just said I don't have a gun. :D
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Jassman

Quote from: "Court"How is that teasing? I just said I don't have a gun. lol, I think the problem is you boys and your overactive imaginations... :wink:

My imagination is definitely overactive.

But when you have the words "sexy", "girl", and "gun" in the same sentence, sometimes the mind doesn't comprehend the other parts...

Court

Quote from: "Jassman"
Quote from: "Court"How is that teasing? I just said I don't have a gun. lol, I think the problem is you boys and your overactive imaginations... :wink:

My imagination is definitely overactive.

But when you have the words "sexy", "girl", and "gun" in the same sentence, sometimes the mind doesn't comprehend the other parts...

Well, I guess I can't blame you there.  :wink:
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]