News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

First World Problems

Started by Asmodean, May 09, 2023, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Running out of mushrooms.

Asmodean

:sadnod: The Asmo was going to improve upon His frozen pizza the other day with some nice shrooms, except... There were no shrooms. He had to go for a thirty minute drive to get some, because it was Sunday and most stores were closed and the few that were open only sold a particularly-tasteless, utterly-generic brand of champignons.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

number 1 and 2 limestone gravel--lemons and oranges-- is about US$40 per ton here, and thats close to what my pickup truck can carry. it fills in about twenty feet of the lane to my house, which is about a hundred yards. another thousand dollars will get me a reliable road from my door to tbe dirt road.

after that comes the three miles.

but its beginning to dry out. still rains every other day now but its ebbing.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Ouch! Did not realise the distances.

You could try to shore it up though. A dirt road with proper drainage can function OK(-ish) in the rainy season. Maybe a nice, deep ditch or two would be more economically viable? Any possibility of a local fund raiser or some such?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i cut the ditch on the side of my drive deeper by putting the truck into four wheel drive and running the left tires down into it. ill put more limestone on it later in the spring.

the township road costs tens of thousands of dollars to maintain-- graders, gravel, mowing, and so on.

i actually prefer it to be minimally navigable. the harder it is to get out here, the fewer people try.

this morning i stepped out before sunrise. first quarter moon, the big dipper's angle told me it was about 0400, and there were still stars and a bright planet in the sky. absolutely dead silent except for the first birds-- thrushes and a wren, i think.

a good road means id have to give that up.

last week i heard the wild turkeys calling. went out and watched them dance on the hillside about a half mile away. cant do that if i share the neighbourhood.

MarcusA

This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

Icarus

^ "A picture is worth a thousand words"

MarcusA

I have tobacco, now I need food.

The Magic Pudding.

The diminution of my real problems because someone else somewhere else has "bigger" problems.
Well it's all relative, we,,, some of us first worlders are more sensitive than... other worlders.
We may suffer as much, or more, from the unjust cancellation of a tv series as "others" do to the junta abducting all their goats.

And the heads up their ass holier than thous, I hate them.
The 1st worlders who do the this first world problem thing.
I live here, I'm not going anywhere, I can't fix anything elsewhere, it's not my fault.
I'd prefer to just not think about "other" worlds, they are irrelevant, if I don't look they might just go away.

Asmodean

Precisely! You live in the First World. You have problems. They may be different to the problems of a ten year old Congolese cobalt miner, but his problems no more exist for you than yours do for him. What would be the practical reason to compare your bananas to his bathroom slippers?

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on May 16, 2023, 12:08:33 PMWhat would be the practical reason to compare your bananas to his bathroom slippers?

"1" Me bananas
"2" Bathroom Slippers

"Evolved Sapien" Ha, your bananas are only slightly blemished, perfectly edible.
His slippers are all soggy, not wearable at all.

Evolved Sapien has set himself up as my better, he sees how petty I am, he is in tune with the sufferer of the soggy slipper, wouldn't you want to fuck him? have his babies?

Asmodean

Nah. Mr. Sapien comes across as a bit preachy to be fuckable... Unless he's like insanely hot or something. And a woman. Otherwise, the whole children thing could prove difficult. But yeah, if he is an insanely hot woman of child-bearing age, that might offset some preachiness, although if Hollywood taught us anything, it must be how subject such things are to the law of diminishing returns.

I might take the evolved approach and source my cobalt elsewhere, but then I'm bringing them soggy slippers into my banana plantation. It doesn't make bananas any less in any meaningful way - now, there just are someone else's soggy slippers under the plant.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I ate a Krakowurst sausage today, it cost nearly $12 Australian. Now, that's one expensive sausage.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.