News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Age-related Health Issues

Started by hermes2015, August 12, 2022, 05:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Hermes has described, more than once, healthcare in SA.  It appears to be clearly better administered than the US counterpart. I do believe that the US has medical practitioners and facilities that are as capable as any where on earth. However, My system is emphatically built primarily around the profit motive.

I do not wish to indict every medical practitioner out there. The matter of fact is that even the most dedicated, generous, and kind hearted individual who works for an organization or clinic is forced to toe the mark. He/she has to generate a predetermined billing amount in order to keep their job.

For damned sure the system does not operate with the same compassion and care that we see on so many of those hospital TV series. Sigh......

hermes2015

Yes, Icarus, if one can afford medical insurance, you get the best there is. That is not the case for the poor, unfortunately, who have to endure long waits at government hospitals. Once attended to, I've been told they usually receive good treatment.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

My, fortunately limited, experience of the SA health care system (curry related) was very favourable and successful.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2023, 08:23:42 AMMy, fortunately limited, experience of the SA health care system (curry related) was very favourable and successful.

:evilgrin: Cape Town curries are milder, gentler, and sweeter since their origins are Malay and Indonesian. However, in Durban, with the biggest Indian community outside India, the curries can be pretty fierce. There is an old joke about the guy who answered "Durban" when asked to name the capital of India on a TV quiz show.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 25, 2023, 08:46:26 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2023, 08:23:42 AMMy, fortunately limited, experience of the SA health care system (curry related) was very favourable and successful.

:evilgrin: Cape Town curries are milder, gentler, and sweeter since their origins are Malay and Indonesian. However, in Durban, with the biggest Indian community outside India, the curries can be pretty fierce. There is an old joke about the guy who answered "Durban" when asked to name the capital of India on a TV quiz show.

It wasn't the curry itself but the microbes in it. 5 of us who had the same dish all ended up in out patients the next morning having disemboweled ourselves overnight!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2023, 11:09:16 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 25, 2023, 08:46:26 AM

It wasn't the curry itself but the microbes in it. 5 of us who had the same dish all ended up in out patients the next morning having disemboweled ourselves overnight!

🤢
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 25, 2023, 08:46:26 AM:evilgrin: Cape Town curries are milder, gentler, and sweeter since their origins are Malay and Indonesian. However, in Durban, with the biggest Indian community outside India, the curries can be pretty fierce. There is an old joke about the guy who answered "Durban" when asked to name the capital of India on a TV quiz show.

i have a love for curries in the malay and indian traditions, and versions of them are among the only food i know how to make

but the fieriest curry i have ever had was in sri lanka. i was a teenager and was used to curries of standard asian street vendor heat but these were astonishing, a thinner liquidy preparationthat was so hot i once had to leave the table and go rinse my mouth out at the tap. i was happily acustommed to food so  hot it would leave chemical blisters in my mouth but i met my match there.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

a very good friend of mine has gone into hospice for esophogeal cancer. he has somewhere between one week to several months to live.

a really nice guy. he's a motorcycle tuner in the old tradition, and the reason i know him is because he held the land speed record for unfaired 650 pushrod motorcycles, until i took it from him.

he was diagnosed with cancer about four years ago, and took chemo and radiation, which knocked it back for a while. but they told him it was going to get him eventually, and a week ago he suddenly couldnt get out of bed.

overnight.

i spoke with him on the telephone yesterday. hes weak, cant get out of a chair by himself, and doesnt know whether he ll wake up tomorrow or not. i asked about a visit, but he isnt sure yet what he s up for. very sudden, it was, thjis last day stuff.

anyway, if and when he s willing, ill be up to visit on a day's notice. no fucking way to schedule this sort of thing, and the moment he says he s available, ill drive the 500 miles to say hello. or goodbye.

life is like that. and death too.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Here is a respectful salute for your friend Billy.

hermes2015

That is touching, Billy. Let's face it: we are just buying a bit of time with all the shiny machines and impressive procedures.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Dark Lightning

Sorry about your friend, Billy.  :therethere:

billy rubin

this is him a couple of years ago

he built this double triumph to run in the LSR races. two 1957 650 thunderbird motors in a custom frame. a very hard machine to make, what with phasing the motors mechanically and electrically, and then running them both through a single transmission. just arranging the primary chain drives were monumental

it went 142 mph on its first shake down run before it lost opil pressure due to a three dollar seal, was fixed but has never been back out because his rider is weird.

theres a tremendous amount of knowledge in this guys head that will go away when he dies. but then, thats the way it is for all of us.

Tank

Will that bike be looking for a home?

billy rubin

probably has one. he had a long-term friendship with his rider, who actually owned the bike while my friensd contributed design, labour, and tuning. but the rider has lost interest in racing and now owns a biker bar in new york state, one where you can ride your motorcycle into the premises. anyway, both the double and the original single motor LSR machine are now on static display inside the bar. so i imagine they will stay there forever, deteriorating.