News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Well, The Asmo is proud of His word play! Ba-dum-tss and everything. Hashtag TheAsmoseyebrowsmatter hashtag highbrowhumor

...Yes. That is canon now. :smilenod:

...Not really though. So much potential wasted :sadnod:

... :felix:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Bitchin cold, this weekend,in much of North America. Montana and the Dakotas along with Minnesota may see temps as low as 30 to 50 degrees F below zero. Dangerous and destructive.

billy rubin

well, it was -6 F at work yesterday. thats -19 C for you lucky sods in civilized places.

11 F where i sleep overnight. water in the dog dish in the kitchen was frozen. windows all iced over on the inside.

winter sucks where i live. i have a propane stove i used to use at the farmers market in the winter, down in  the warehous. ill go get it in a bit and see if we can get the downstairs a bit warmer.

before the coal furnace went belly up we could always pile more coal on the grate. but it spews smoke these days, having used up its functional hundred years for other people.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Icarus

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house...etc.  It was really cold as FLorida weather goes, about 29....30 F.

I hate my wifes Toyota Prius. Wouldn't you know it,the friggin thing would not start on Christmas morning.  Wife had an urgent mission to take food and goodies to a family gathering across town. All not lost. She used my Honda Element. The one that has a new and expensive catalytic converter.

The miserable Prius has two batteries. One, a big one, runs the propulsion system. The other one a simple 12 volt battery operates the lights, the computer, the door locks and other minor 
gizmos.

The 12 volt battery succumbed to the cold temps and refused to allow the computer and all the other stuff to work.  Damned car is dead for all practical purposes. Battery is in the trunk at the rear of the car. Of course with the battery dead and the electric latch on the hatch door, I cannot get into the back of the car to service the battery. Must be another way. There is.  It does require some contortion but I will do it. You gotta pull down the rear seat, crawl back into a small space, and try to remove the floor of the luggage compartment. Then pry off a little tiny plastic thing that covers the access hole to the damned latch. Using a screwdriver and copious profanity the latch can be defeated.

When I do all that, including many oaths to Zeus and impolite conversation with God, I will have access to the battery but only after removing some other parts of the compartment.

The battery is nothing special as batteries go but it has an odd configuration. An ordinary battery will not fit into the assigned place. Naturally a battery that is so special will cost more than and ordinary battery.

I will try to conquer the beast tomorrow when the weather will not be so miserably cold and windy. The new battery may or may not wake the computer that jealously controls every thing on the car.

billy rubin

lucky it wasnt a tesla. they have dangerours quirks.

if the car catches on fire you cannot unlock the backseat doors without consulting the owners manual

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Went to Toyota dealer to get new battery.  Old one had 84 month warranty. Naturally the battery was installed in 2014 and the warranty or residual value was zero.  OK I will buy a new battery.  Naturally there is a catch.  The battery will have no warranty whatever unless it is installed by the Toyota dealership. Ho freaking humm. 

I will bet a chicken dinner that the Dealer's tech people will find some other problem that must be fixed even though the problem may not affect the operation of the vehicle. Or even though the problem is only a part of the upselling routine that the dealers practice so expertly.

Next car I buy will be a 1973 Dodge Dart. I had one of those way back in time.  It was pretty much trouble free, had better fuel economy than many of the newest cars. Most of all I could fix the thing with a screwdriver, pair of pliers, and some haywire.

The Magic Pudding.

That looks good to me, better than 5-10 degrees higher.
High tide at 1pm, maybe a breezy paddle after lunch.

Anne D.

It's not nice to gloat.

It's been snowing like crazy this week here. So. much. shoveling.

billy rubin

mud. everywhere. for days.

going home you stay in the middle of the road or you get sucked into the bar ditch

Tom62

Greyish and rainy but quite warm for this time of the year.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Yep. We've been snowed in, but a weekend of rain and above-freezing temperatures has melted my road network right down to the pavement.

The Asmo, He is pleased with His divine weather machinations. Ah, the grayness and warmth! :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

We're seeing some horrific pictures coming out of California. Hope things get better soon.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

What's going on there? Burning what's left of the forest..? Or the opposite, what with the season..?

I must admit to not having seen California in my feeds for quite some time.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

California has wildfires and then floods. Feast or famine. Now roads are getting washed away and homes flooded. Global warming is destroying it, a little at a time. I hope the Redwoods and Sequoias won't be destroyed, but it would not surprise me.