News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Elon Musk may be stepping down as head of Twitter?

Started by Asmodean, December 19, 2022, 08:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

In a new poll, Elon Musk is asking Twitter if he should step down. He says he will abide by the will of the audience, and as things stand, he may have to abide by a "yes."

I wonder if he was relying on the vastness of his fan-base too much, or if he has done what he thought he needed as the head of Twitter and is now ready to own the head in stead? Being the "power behind the throne" is a more "peaceful" existence than having your butt cheeks firmly glued to it, after all.

Personally, I see the whole shebang as more of an exercise in mob rule than democracy, but I cannot precisely explain why, so... Call it a feeling and take if for what it's worth, which, being my feeling, is rather on the cheap side.

Does any-one have any thoughts as to why he's doing it the way he's doing it, whether indeed he will step down if the vote goes that way and whether he plans/wants it to?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

He's just going to close the accounts of all the people who say yes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

:lol: Oh, PLEASE, yes!

I mean, it would likely kill the platform, but that would be a troll for the ages!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2022, 10:38:49 AMWatch this space  :popcorn:
Yeah... AND, give it a few years for them Starlink satellites to start failing in their hundreds, then space will indeed be one to watch! ;)

Can you imagine that some people call me a Musk-hater? I mean, yeah, I think he's a borderline-scammer, but he keeps me entertained with his shenanigans, so far from hate - I enjoy what he does.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Fuck him.

Fuck Twitter.

Hopefully, a bag of flying donkey cocks infests his throat. And that already oxygen starved brain wilters into nothingness.

Tank

The vote went 57% leave so he's looking for a replacement.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Can Asmo transfer his wrath against Luxembourg to Musk?

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

he hasnt left.

hes changing thr poll rules so that only paid subscibers can vote

hasnt said anything about leaving yet

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Yeah, I'll give it another week before assuming that he thought the vote would go differently. The arrows sort-of start pointing in that direction though.

The change that's being proposed, too. It's... Yeah, I don't know.

I do see how paying subscribers (note how I don't say "customers" - for all intents and purposes, they are not.) are invested in the platform in a different way to the rest, but, and this speaks directly to what I put in the parenthesis, if you alienate your product, you won't keep those who pay for it, either.

Cold though it may be, calling people "product," that's precisely what we are to social media companies. Their customers are businesses buying ads. They sell our eyeballs on these ads. If a pair of "freeloading" eyeballs gets no say in how the day-to-day interactions on the platform work... They will leave. That said though, if only the decision making with regards to the company leadership will be delegated to paying subscribers, then maybe there won't be an issue?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

I couldn't give an odd sock for Twitter, it means nothing to me.
I've heard a journalist say it's important, what happens there gets filtered through them to everyone.
I'd really rather not know what's happening there, what happens on Twitter should stay on Twitter.
The first rule of Twitter should be you don't talk about Twitter... outside of Twitter.
If people want to know what's happening on Twitter they should have to pay and be bound by non-disclosure.  >:( 

Asmodean

Ah, but as misfortune - and I say this with not a shred of sarcasm - would have it, Twatters is where the public discourse on a number of matters seems to take place.

Personally, I think people who define their opinion on complex matters in 280 characters or less lack nuance in their approach and are doomed to failure in the long run for ignoring potentially-insignificant variables at the time, which also have the potential to grow in significance in the future. It's either black or white. The shades of gray in which The Asmos thrive cannot conform to the format as sometimes, complex thoughts require complex explanations.

Ironically though, it seems like the "only" thing that is not binary over there is a person's sex.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

I hope he steps down from Twitter, off of the world stage, and into a prison cell, with Trump as his cell mate. That's what I want from Santa.