News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Nasty legal cases

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 23, 2022, 11:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Billy's question about garbage compactors got me thinking about nasty legal cases I have had. I spent most of my trial lawyer life defending claims against insurance companies for nasty injuries. The worst ones I remember:

1. A guy in Temple, Texas got his hair caught in a sheet metal roller that was rolling up sheet metal at high speeds into a tight cylinder. He got rolled up in the cylinder. The pressure blew a hole in the back of his neck. I think the death was pretty quick, but I wonder what his last thoughts were;

2. A semi-truck driver in Fort Worth tipped his truck on Interstate 35. There was a concrete barrier between the north and south-bound traffic, with a chain link fence on top of it. His truck tipped on the driver's side and he was decapitated by the fence. His head was wrapped up in the chain link.

3. A dude got into a romantic relationship with an older woman in Waco and then killed her. He chopped her body up in the bathtub and hid the parts in various places. The cops tracked him down and he blew his brains out, as recorded on the cop's car camera.

4. A guy working at a tar-paper plant in Belton fell into an auger in the ground that was used to push material into the tar furnace. It wrapped his leg around the shaft and pulled it off. In the process, it pulled the aorta away from his heart. He bled to death on the way to the hospital. That may have been the worst, since he lived long enough to realize what was happening to him.

Ecurb Noselrub

The funniest one was not so bad, just embarrassing for a GI doc. He was giving an obese woman a colonoscopy, and came across some strange looking tissue. He called in a colleague because he had never seen this tissue before. His colleague looked and said "I think you are in the wrong hole." No real damage, but imagine disclosing this to the patient.

Ecurb Noselrub

Speaking of last thoughts, what is the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield?

His ass.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 23, 2022, 11:52:44 PMBilly's question about garbage compactors got me thinking about nasty legal cases I have had. I spent most of my trial lawyer life defending claims against insurance companies for nasty injuries. The worst ones I remember:

1. A guy in Temple, Texas got his hair caught in a sheet metal roller that was rolling up sheet metal at high speeds into a tight cylinder. He got rolled up in the cylinder. The pressure blew a hole in the back of his neck. I think the death was pretty quick, but I wonder what his last thoughts were;

"Oh, shi-"

billy rubin

a friend of mine was out riding a motorcycle with another when the other was instantly killed

a yield sign- large flat metal piece on a pole-- had been bent and was protruding into the roadway, edge on.

the friend rode his motorcycle into it and was instantly decapitated

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 24, 2022, 12:40:19 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 23, 2022, 11:52:44 PMBilly's question about garbage compactors got me thinking about nasty legal cases I have had. I spent most of my trial lawyer life defending claims against insurance companies for nasty injuries. The worst ones I remember:

"Oh, shi-"

Yeah, that one gave me some nightmarish thoughts.

Tank

My ex-brother in law was an ambulance driver for a while. He had to attend an accident where a car had driven into the overhanging load on a lorry. The driver had been decapitated. They spent two days looking for the head but never found it. They speculated that the head had been thrown onto another moving vehicle as this had been known to happen
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

in oklahoma city once a very upset man called 911 to report that he had hit a person walking around in the dark on the freeway. but when he stopped there was no one there.

the next day they found the body a hudred miles away. she had had a fight with her boyfried and gotten out of the car in anger. apparently when she wasvhit her bodybwas thrown into the undercarriage of a lorry.

drove away with her until she finally fell off.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Ooh, this thread reminds me that I was meaning to look into the Theranos fraud (or some such) case. I think it's supposed to be nearing a conclusion sometime around... Now, really. Me dabbling in investment and having a good third of my portfolio in medical stuff (Though not in any medical device manufacturers - mostly small pharma) I find it very interesting that so many people have bought in to an idea I considered to be at best way overpromised on the surfacemost level for so much money...

It's the psychology bit of investment in one cautionary tale, I suppose. Some new "miracle gizmo" gets announced, and people buy into it, afraid of being left behind by the next <insert a one-in-a-million success story> If some of those people have a bit of a name to it... Then the bubble can grow a LOT of zeroes before someone takes a nail to it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

Asmodean

Heh! That seems pretty accurate. Not just Bitcoin though - that's what greed does to many an investor. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.