News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

^ It did.

The mouse is a hustler.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2022, 10:13:11 AMEarly last year one of my wife's friends husband was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and given 3 to 6 months to live. He survived a little over a year, but in my opinion the last few months were not really very high quality. Pete was an artist, a potter. Today we are going to his workshop to buy the last of his pieces. I love his work so very mixed feelings today. Will post pictures later.

Pancreatic cancer is horrible. Sorry about your friend, but it is good that a piece of him survives in his work. It makes you think: "What will I leave behind?"

Tank

:rofl: That is the weirdest and fumiest thing I have seen in a while.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2022, 03:15:22 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2022, 10:13:11 AMEarly last year one of my wife's friends husband was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and given 3 to 6 months to live. He survived a little over a year, but in my opinion the last few months were not really very high quality. Pete was an artist, a potter. Today we are going to his workshop to buy the last of his pieces. I love his work so very mixed feelings today. Will post pictures later.

The tea pot is one of only seven he ever made.
The little dragon on the pot reminds me of Errol the swamp dragon in Guards guards!!! by Terry Pratchett.

Apparently the teapot was inspired by the music of Gong, in particular the Flying Teapot.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

I love the glazes on these beautiful pieces. You were lucky to get them.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 28, 2022, 09:04:29 AMI love the glazes on these beautiful pieces. You were lucky to get them.

His Etsy page.

There may be nothing on there now but if you are interested I can see what is still available.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 28, 2022, 09:19:35 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 28, 2022, 09:04:29 AMI love the glazes on these beautiful pieces. You were lucky to get them.

His Etsy page.

There may be nothing on there now but if you are interested I can see what is still available.

Thank you. I will visit the page.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

We are not the greatest country in the world....Maybe in times past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86k1cmCuGo

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Icarus on December 03, 2022, 06:39:24 AMWe are not the greatest country in the world....Maybe in times past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86k1cmCuGo

How do you define great?

When was the golden age?

The professional thinkers around here seem to think the US has been on balance, a positive force for the last century.  Probably not all South American perspectives would be positive.  The more powerful a county the greater ability to be a bastard I suppose.

You might get by with a high proportion of idiots if they didn't insist on an idiot driving the bus.  I don't know how to quell idiot resentment, how not to deplore the deplorable?  I don't think a second coming of Jesus would help, probably meet the same fate, unless he really does favour big guns and bigotry.

jumbojak

YouTube demobilization strikes again. This time for one of Dr Raynor's videos that hasn't even been released yet. This one is on the effects of fentanyl.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Youtube thinks it's YouTube's job to protect you from misinformation... And in the next breath, they try to sell you a resistor-based space heater that is "more" "efficient" than other resistor-based space heaters because... Ceramics? And after trying to sell you that, they sell you a "Japanese" "artisan" knife that is totally not mass-produced from cheap-o knife Chinesium and re-branded by a bunch of Lithuanians.

My message to them is quite simple; you want curated content? Good and well. Start with your scammy-ass ads - there's a lot of fake news right there.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Seems to be back up. We'll see if it sticks...

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

Sorry, not demobilized, demonetized . That's a big deal for creators. Video production isn't cheap. It's a way to push people out. YouTube is still a great resource. There truly is nothing like it, but recently the ideological bent has gotten out of hand.

Constitutional auditors are finding their channels labeled as members of the Sovereign Citizen Movement. 2A channels are finding their content hidden. It's only very recently that you can cite CDC statistics. This is nuts.

I remember when YouTube was a resource for footage from Iraq and Afghanistan. Like, helmet camera footage from soldiers who were there. Now, commentary on that footage is taken down when the commenters are sharing their thoughts on the footage that they were present for.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Asmodean on December 05, 2022, 12:54:51 PMYoutube thinks it's YouTube's job to protect you from misinformation... And in the next breath, they try to sell you a resistor-based space heater that is "more" "efficient" than other resistor-based space heaters because... Ceramics? And after trying to sell you that, they sell you a "Japanese" "artisan" knife that is totally not mass-produced from cheap-o knife Chinesium and re-branded by a bunch of Lithuanians.

My message to them is quite simple; you want curated content? Good and well. Start with your scammy-ass ads - there's a lot of fake news right there.

Don't forget about buying into the Scottish nobility with a one square foot piece of land.

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on December 06, 2022, 12:38:33 AMDon't forget about buying into the Scottish nobility with a one square foot piece of land.
YES! Thank you for reminding The Asmo about the whole lord/laird/lard scam! It's not so much in ads as I have seen, but "everyone" is taking their sponsorships. I never thought I'd see the day when I miss Raid bloody Shadow Legends - at least that lot gives you exactly the crappy mobile game they advertise with the added possibility of sinking an endless stream of cash into it - as advertised. >:(

Anyhoo, The Asmo, He is reading the local news feeds and it appears that an dude was newly convicted of a "Grossly negligent rape." One must ask, must one not, just how does an person rape someone negligently? Like, what did he neglect that is not commonly neglected in that sort of business? :notsure:

[Inside the Asmo's head]...I mean, negligent homicide could be something like texting while driving through a kindergarten class on an outing. You neglected your duties as a driver and thereby did it badly. Does negligent rape imply that the dude in question... What? Had a micropenis?[/insidehead]

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.