News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

ive thought about glocks, but ive never shot one to have an opinion. the cheetahs are mostly an aesthetic thing.

my old 1911 was a great gun. couldnt hit anything, but i could beat you to death with it if you got close enough

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

One of my sons has a Glock 19. I don't like the long trigger travel distance. My hands are stiff from years of manual labor and encroaching arthritis. I much prefer my "N-Frame" S&W Model 28 wheel gun with Pachmayr grips. It fits my big mitt quite well.

As for shooting, I refuse to pay quintuple+ rates for ammunition, so I haven't been to a gun range in over two years.

billy rubin

i owned a ruger secuity six for a while. it was sensitive to ammunition quality for its accuracy.

havent had a revolver since

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on November 17, 2022, 01:20:22 AMive thought about glocks, but ive never shot one to have an opinion. the cheetahs are mostly an aesthetic thing.

my old 1911 was a great gun. couldnt hit anything, but i could beat you to death with it if you got close enough

The cheetah looks good, but if this is something you plan to bet your life on a polymer, striker fired pistol is the ticket. Just about all of them are good these days. I almost bought an M&P last year but prefer the grip angle of a Glock Glock, if you catch my meaning.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 17, 2022, 01:32:03 AMOne of my sons has a Glock 19. I don't like the long trigger travel distance. My hands are stiff from years of manual labor and encroaching arthritis. I much prefer my "N-Frame" S&W Model 28 wheel gun with Pachmayr grips. It fits my big mitt quite well.

As for shooting, I refuse to pay quintuple+ rates for ammunition, so I haven't been to a gun range in over two years.

Ammo prices are much more reasonable now. Then again, you're in California, right? Things could be very different there.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on November 19, 2022, 01:47:09 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 17, 2022, 01:32:03 AMOne of my sons has a Glock 19. I don't like the long trigger travel distance. My hands are stiff from years of manual labor and encroaching arthritis. I much prefer my "N-Frame" S&W Model 28 wheel gun with Pachmayr grips. It fits my big mitt quite well.

Ammo prices are much more reasonable now. Then again, you're in California, right? Things could be very different there.

Yes, California. I haven't looked in awhile. I guess I should do that. Then again, killing paper is only a hobby. These days I'm cleaning up a rental house for sale. I can't believe what contractors pull, these days. We want the floor in the kitchen/laundry/adjacent bath replaced. They won't pull up the linoleum, because the house was built in the '50s. Never mind that the  flooring was replaced in the '80s and there is no asbestos in the underlayment. So, here is this 70-year old man scraping the floor.  >:(  Fucking bunch of candy-asses.  ::)  I can't wait until we are rid of that house.

Icarus

I'm with you DL. Some of the contractors in my neck of the woods really believe that their shit don't stink. More than a few of them seem to believe that their skills (sometimes imaginary skills) are as essential and valuable as say....brain surgery or heart transplants.

I am admittedly biased here, but it seems that the authentic skilled craftsmen are more than likely to be as old as you and me.  :geezer!: 

Dark Lightning

My 33 year old son does good work. He works as a handy man on the days that he isn't at the box store that is his main source of income. He has an AS in engineering, and I'd rather he did that. I'm reminded of the ages-old complaint about the younger generation.

Tank

Early last year one of my wife's friends husband was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and given 3 to 6 months to live. He survived a little over a year, but in my opinion the last few months were not really very high quality. Pete was an artist, a potter. Today we are going to his workshop to buy the last of his pieces. I love his work so very mixed feelings today. Will post pictures later.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 19, 2022, 02:35:44 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 19, 2022, 01:47:09 AM

Yes, California. I haven't looked in awhile. I guess I should do that. Then again, killing paper is only a hobby. These days I'm cleaning up a rental house for sale. I can't believe what contractors pull, these days. We want the floor in the kitchen/laundry/adjacent bath replaced. They won't pull up the linoleum, because the house was built in the '50s. Never mind that the  flooring was replaced in the '80s and there is no asbestos in the underlayment. So, here is this 70-year old man scraping the floor.  >:(  Fucking bunch of candy-asses.  ::)  I can't wait until we are rid of that house.

Right now most contractors have more work than they know what to do with and that won't last forever. Part of the problem is a lack of help. So if you have a choice between a low margin floor tear out and a high margin install you take the install. I don't understand why the culture is one of making excuses rather than saying, "Respectfully, I have better things to do right now." But that's probably what's happening.

Tank

Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2022, 10:13:11 AMEarly last year one of my wife's friends husband was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and given 3 to 6 months to live. He survived a little over a year, but in my opinion the last few months were not really very high quality. Pete was an artist, a potter. Today we are going to his workshop to buy the last of his pieces. I love his work so very mixed feelings today. Will post pictures later.

The tea pot is one of only seven he ever made.
The little dragon on the pot reminds me of Errol the swamp dragon in Guards guards!!! by Terry Pratchett.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

wow

back when i was in graduate school the de[partment artist wold make pitchers and jugs, with attached miiature elves and animaculi. i asked to buy one once and she just gave me a magnificent pitcher with a menagerie.

like so many of the interesting things in my life, it was broken and went the way of the world long ago.

Recusant

Fantastic work, in more ways than one. He was a talented artist and potter.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Finished tearing the floor coverings off at the rental house. My #2 son is as much of an animal as I was at that age. It would've take me a couple of days in my current condition (just old) to do what he did in a few hours. Now we reschedule the flooring company to come in and finish the installation.

billy rubin