News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Mayo murder

Started by Asmodean, June 29, 2022, 09:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

I'm on board with your assessment of the gov in Florida.

I'm trying to understand why your location is listed as Indianopolis, though.

Bluenose

From over this side of the Pacific pond, it seems Icarus's assessment is entirely on point.  Regrettably the cancer has spread over here, OTOH I think the average Aussie rejects these kinds of concepts, so the idiocy gets little traction here.  For a start, we are  much less religious people, even irreligious.  Also, guns are not even an order of magnitude as common as in the US.  Walk down the street with a firearm here, and you will pretty soon become acquainted with the local constabulary.  Finally, many ethnic groups have become a normal part of our society.  We see people of all kinds all the time and no one bats an eyelid when you see a different face for your doctor, nurse, elected official or just walking down the street.

However, I do not hold a council for despair WRT the USA.  I think eventually you will deal with the right wing nut jobs.  It may take a generation or two, but the youth of today have access to more information than ever before, and the ability of the bigots to control what the young learn grows weaker every day.  It's a slow process, but I feel it is inevitable.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

you may be right. crime killings always occur in the usa.

but this propensity for random mass slayngs is new, frankly, and was rare when i was younger.

if you look at the numbers, its correlated with the end of the assault rifle ban and the general dysfunction of the us in the last 25 years.

formerly mass shootings were rare and more people were horrifed-- like the texas tower shootings.

now people seem to think that not wanting to do nything in a crowd is a normal safety precaustion.

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on July 07, 2022, 02:14:42 AMThere is rather large component of our society who have a problem with immigrant persons who do not look exactly like themselves. That includes Asians, Hispanics, dark skinned Africans, Pacific and Caribbean islanders and people of a different sexual persuasion. My dumb fuck Governor of Florida has invented "don't say gay" legislation that his like-minded state politicians made into law. Sheeesh!

Let us contemplate the identity of those people and examine their presumed motivation. These are well organized individuals who are hell bent on having the rest of us comply with their socio-political beliefs. They are dead set against any form of abortion, are immovably in favor of their second Amendment right to own and use firearms, they have no qualms about arranging voting districts in such a way that the will of the majority is not likely, they have no qualms about lying about such things as election rigging, They are committed to the belief that we must all agree that Jesus of the bible is our lord and savior. They believe that it is their obligation to force all of us to believe as they do....or at least as they say they do. They are certain that a wall between our southern border states and Mexico will keep the terrible, murderous, rapist drug smugglers from overwhelming and defiling our utopian country. There are more narrow-minded missions that our powerful group of right wing religionists believe and intend to enforce.

Those people are characterized by willful ignorance. They too often refuse to read, refuse to weigh the facts, refuse to listen to reason, refuse to address reality, are opposed to any rule that they believe violates their freedom, like mask mandates or Covid vaccinations.  They are likely to believe, absolutely, that the government is the enemy even though so many of them are members of the governing bodies.  They continue to elect representatives of the governments even though they continue to believe that government, as a body, is evil and has secret ulterior motives such as implanting microchips in vaccines. Alex Jones is a more reliable arbiter of truth than is the president or the Attorney general of the United States. Fauci is a conniving operative whose only aim is to enrich himself, and so on,,,,,,,,,, ad-finitum.

Truth to tell we are a nation that is painfully overpopulated with dumb bastards who are almost unimaginably gullible.  :rant1:  :rant1:  :rant1:  :rant1:

Well said, sir. I don't think that the US has a larger percentage of wilfully ignorant numbskulls than any other nation on Earth, but the anti-democratic elements of the US Constitution (Electoral College, US Senate, US Supreme Court) have made it possible for them to have an outsized level of power. A well developed right wing propaganda machinery (talk radio, Fox News and its imitators) has been dripping poison into the willing ears of a significant percentage of the population for a few decades now. "Guns, babies, Jesus" (often with a subtext of virulent racism) is the result.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

Mass shootings happen in other places than the USA as well, which means that it isn't an US only phenomenon. Most recent one was in Denmark, one of the most gun regulated countries in the world. Here in Germany mass shootings are less common. More popular is to drive cars into big crowds, to kill as much people as possible. Also popular are knife-, axe- and acid attacks. This is mainly done by crazy immigrants, which shows that also non white people can go on killing sprees.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on July 09, 2022, 03:01:01 PMMass shootings happen in other places than the USA as well, which means that it isn't an US only phenomenon. Most recent one was in Denmark, one of the most gun regulated countries in the world. Here in Germany mass shootings are less common. More popular is to drive cars into big crowds, to kill as much people as possible. Also popular are knife-, axe- and acid attacks. This is mainly done by crazy immigrants, which shows that also non white people can go on killing sprees.
Hmm.
I find it interesting that you mention "crazy immigrants" but forgot to mention that the last mass shooting there was done by a Danish man.

--Just saying.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Can we all agree that the shade of meat suit is meaningless? Humans just suck.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on July 10, 2022, 01:39:41 AMCan we all agree that the shade of meat suit is meaningless? Humans just suck.
Yes. But.
If the lighter shade of white refuse to acknowledge their own fuck ups and just points at the darker shade of brown's fuck ups, then I guess humans do suck, but some do suck more than others.
It's time someone said it.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

My dear raps, I just don't understand why the shade of one's meat suit matters at all. Or why any other insignificant difference should instill such hostility.

There are only 2 types of humans on the planet.

Cool ones, and asshats.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on July 10, 2022, 06:58:04 AMMy dear raps, I just don't understand why the shade of one's meat suit matters at all. Or why any other insignificant difference should instill such hostility.

There are only 2 types of humans on the planet.

Cool ones, and asshats.

My dear No one,
Things are not that simple.

Who here wants to be treated or talked about the same way a dark skin person is treated and talked about?

It's about time we recognize that darker skin tones are associated with more negative stereotypes, just look at the example Tom62 gave, he talked about immigrant crime, and he didn't even mention that the last mass shooting there was perpetrated by a white Dutch man.

The white men started this. As I've said before, projection is a bitch. Whatever negative thing they accuse us of is what they are.
Violent
Crazy
Stupid
Lazy
Etc.
Enough is enough.

No one

I completely agree, humans should never be treated differently just because they are different. And those milk skinned humans are oblivious to the plight of those of darker hues. Ignorance can only carry so much blame.

I have no qualms with any human based on their gender, sexual orientation, skin tone, location, beliefs, or any other inconsequential absurd nonsense. Not sure why this  would concern anyone.

Tom62

I agree with No one that there are two types of people on this world, cool ones and asshats. This thread was heading to blame white men and conservatives only for this problem, which is incorrect. Mags may find it offensive that I mentioned that here in Germany we several horrible killings by mainly lone wolf madmen with a migrant background. Problem is that facts don't care much about feelings. Most recent killing was in June by a crazy man driving his car intentionally into a crowd of people in Berlin. He who was not Dutch or Danish, but originally from Armenia. The killings in Denmark was indeed by a crazy white man. So yes, there are assholes and crazy people to be found everywhere.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

I have never said I'm offended or find something offensive, both of you please stop saying that.

I was a lady when you guy's friend (the Bishop) called me, "stupid" in public.

This is an old white men's club, you guys couldn't hide it even if you try. Don't blame me for pointing out the obvious, based on what you guys post.

I'm more like a fly than a butterfly around here. :-\

Maybe I should just finally accept that I am at the wrong place. And that we don't see things the same way. If I say these things is because....Who am I kidding...you guys do represent this forum. And you will attract your members.

Recusant

You have always been welcome here Magdalena, and always will be. I can't speak for anybody else but I believe that most of the old white guys here are in agreement with your position.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

I don't think there is a genuine parallel between most of the mass shootings (not to mention the literally everyday instances of senseless gun violence) that occur in the US and most of the mass killings in Europe (which are often carried out by religious extremists). The cultural background and history behind them are rather different.

While neither negates the significance of the other, the fact is that the US is living through a plague of murderous well-armed creeps. Mass murder in Europe is rare in comparison regardless of who perpetrates it and it is not difficult to understand why.
— H. L. Mencken