News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Roe vs Wade under fire, again

Started by Buddy, May 03, 2022, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

BBC article

Ugh, this makes me sick. I'm tired of crusty republicans deciding what women can do with their bodies. A clump of cells should never be considered more important than the woman it's leeching off of.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

Here's hoping that all the women who vote, vote Democrat in the upcoming mid-terms. Several states have standing laws defending abortion. I guess they'll be getting more "tourists". OK by me.

Buddy

The problem is that there are going to be a lot of women that can't afford to travel across state lines, plus there have been talks about certain states passing laws that would criminalize getting an abortion bill even if it's in another state.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Recusant

The US is heading down an ugly path. A minority clinging to power by thwarting democracy, imposing their ideology regardless of the will of the majority and regardless of the harm it does.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

I am so angry about this, and I am not even a woman nor do I live in the USA.  This issue was hard fought for both in the USA and here in Australia in the 1970s.  The difference is that here the laws were changed rather than relying on some esoteric reading of the constitution by the SCOTUS that is now apparently about to be overturned.  Get out there peoples and vote, vote for those who will write laws to reflect the will of the majority.  In other words, not the GOP.

I agree with one pundit I was reading just before that this may well be the thing that eventually comes back to bite the evangelical extremist right-wingers on their collective backsides, as it may just be the thing that prompts the non-voting middle in the USA to actually, finally overthrow the ruling theocracy.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

I've been watching this play out on the news and Facebook. It really will be a watershed moment in American politics if it is over turned.

I am wondering who and why the report was leaked. My suspicions are a pro-choice would do it to apply pressure on the final vote and a pro-life could have done it to gauge reaction and possibly soften the ruling if the reaction was extreme, which it appears to be.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Let's get real here!

Do women really know their own bodies better than crochety old men?

Definitely not.

While we're at it, let's take away their right to vote too.

Maybe treat them like livestock, or better yet, like trading cards.

billy rubin

i think it was leaked to influence tbe elections. yesterday eas the first primary for the 2022 elections. my wife is running for a seat in congress, but she will not win.

well shell win the primary but nit the general

no, she lost!

only 24 percent. nhe winner took 30 something. no run offs

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

I'm told that Roe vs. Wade is a juridical decision instead of a law. That means that there is no right to abortion in the Constitution (which is something that needs to be changed). This makes Roe vs Wade rather controversial because it is only a procedural protection instead of a right. Hence the number of religious attacks. I believe that the US should finally have a real federal abortion law in place. Leaving that to the individual states is a bad idea.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

youre maybe correct. theres no specific right in our constitution.

however, the 4th amensment (the first 10 amendments were included in the first official document) says this:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

^^^the idea that people are to be left "secure in their persons" directly implies that they have a right to privacy concerning their bodies--not just the contents of their pockets, imo-- which is another way of saying that they have a right to determine for themselves what they shall do with their persons.

now, forbidding an abortion is not specifically a search or seizure, but in my opinion the originalist view about being left alone to tend to your private business applies here.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Is there a specific instruction somewhere in the King James bible that forbids abortion?  Religious people claim that abortion, at any stage, is against God's will. Catholics are especially uptight about this.  They even view contraceptives as a tool of the devil.

I can only fantasize that many of the Republican women are secretly in favor of Roe. If Roe is overturned and states like Mississippi and others make abortion completely forbidden, there can be unexpected repercussions.  One possibility is that some of the GOP women, as a safety measure, deny their husbands any access to their lady parts. :fingerwag:  That might change a lot of guys minds. The men will be forced to get vasectomies.  ;D

Dark Lightning

There is no admonition for abortion in the bible. There is however, mention of ways to rid one of an embryo, and removal of same is recommended if there is threat to the mother's life due to the pregnancy, or if the pregnancy contributes to the health of the mother negatively.

billy rubin

exodis 21:22 is sometimrs cited

22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

Dark Lightning

I would contend that if the woman loses an embryo willingly, that would obviate that bit o' bible. What does "strive" mean in this context? I know people who say that when they mean that they are trying to get laid, i.e., laying down a line of patter.

billy rubin