News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Weird, butt cool stuff.

Started by Biggus Dickus, February 19, 2022, 06:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

This is a sea serpent pulpit from a parish church in Dobroszów, a village in in south-western Poland. Circa 1750. I unfortunately haven't been able to find out much more about it, other than it was rebuilt to some degree in the 1800's.

I think it's cool, and I wish my church had one of these when I was a kid as it would have made attending church a little less boring.

I did find an article written by a Fr. David Friel which included a picture of this pulpit in the article, but no historical information. He writes about an obvious Jonah in the Whale reference in his article, but he also wrote the following which I found amusing, sounds like a decent priest ;D

Quote....whale pulpits also have the potential to serve practical ends. Consider the problem of a preacher who goes on too long. These ambos could be outfitted with a congregant-operated mechanism that would cause the mouth to snap shut!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

:doh:
I thought I read:
Weird, butt.
Cool stuff.
As in, if you have a weird butt, there's cool stuff for it, or, post cool stuff for a weird butt, or cool stuff about having a weird butt.

:picard facepalm:

Please, continue with "Weird but cool stuff."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on February 21, 2022, 12:45:55 AM
I thought I read:
Weird, butt.
Cool stuff.
As in, if you have a weird butt, there's cool stuff for it, or, post cool stuff for a weird butt, or cool stuff about having a weird butt.

So can we conclude from this that you may have a weird butt, or maybe like weird butts?

Personal note: You may have noticed here at HAF that I always spell the conjunction but, with two T's...like I did in the title of this thread. I do so for a very personal reason. In 2nd grade at Divine Child Elementary School my teacher was Sister Geraldine. You may be surprised to know that she wasn't very nice. Once during a writing assignment I wrote the word but, as butt...I turned this paper in, and of course Sister Geraldine immediately assumed that this seven year old, shy kid wrote the word "butt" because he was of course at this age obsessed with sex, and had an evil, dirty mind. She called me out for it in front of the entire class, made fun of me, and allowed the other kids to laugh at me...she then circled the word "butt" in read pen, and made me take the paper home to have my parents sign.
Fortunately my parents didn't make the connection she did and simply thought she was having them check my work.
This was an embarrassing moment for me as a kid, and has always stuck with me.
Another example of the Sister's good hearted side. I once had to go to the bathroom, and got up from my desk, approached Sister Geraldine and asked if I could be excused to the rest room. She said no, as apparently I had gone earlier and she thought I was lying. So I went back to my desk, but then I really had to go, so I went up and asked her again if I could please be excused as I really needed to go, and again she refused and yelled at me to go back to my desk.
I sat at my desk holding it as long as I could, but eventually I ended up peeing in my pants, and slowly a small puddle appeared under my desk.
Other kids sitting next to me saw this, and were whispering to each other, and pointing at the puddle...while I sat in my chair with tears streaming down my face.
The good hearted, and godly sister never allowed me to get up, and clean myself, she just let me sit there....at one point she left the room (She called my mom to come bring me clean clothes)
While the sweet, loving nun was out of the classroom the other kids teased me unmercifully...all I could do was sit there crying in embarrassment...finally I saw my mother's car pull up outside, and then the Saintly Sister told me I could be excused.
I ran out to the hallway into the arms of my mother, and eventually told her what happened. She was not pleased and I don't know exactly what she said to the Sister, butt I never had any issues after being excused from going to the restroom.

I'm sure Sister Geraldine is sitting in heaven now smiling down at me. Blessed be her kind heart.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

Recusant

Arr, aye I knew there was probably a reason behind the Bruno "butt" . . . had no idea it was a Catholic school thing. As a survivor of 9 years of Catholic school (bless my fellow students and the nuns), I salute you, sir.  :headbang:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

The Wiggles cover Tame Impala 'Elephant' for Like A Version

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 21, 2022, 02:15:44 AM
I thought I read:
Weird, butt.
Cool stuff.

So can we conclude from this that you may have a weird butt, or maybe like weird butts?
No.

Personal note: You may have noticed here at HAF that I always spell the conjunction but, with two T's...like I did in the title of this thread. I do so for a very personal reason. In 2nd grade at Divine Child Elementary School my teacher was Sister Geraldine. You may be surprised to know that she wasn't very nice. Once during a writing assignment I wrote the word but, as butt...I turned this paper in, and of course Sister Geraldine immediately assumed that this seven year old, shy kid wrote the word "butt" because he was of course at this age obsessed with sex, and had an evil, dirty mind. She called me out for it in front of the entire class, made fun of me, and allowed the other kids to laugh at me...she then circled the word "butt" in read pen, and made me take the paper home to have my parents sign.
Fortunately my parents didn't make the connection she did and simply thought she was having them check my work.
Another example of the Sister's good hearted side. I once had to go to the bathroom, and got up from my desk, approached Sister Geraldine and asked if I could be excused to the rest room. She said no, as apparently I had gone earlier and she thought I was lying. So I went back to my desk, but then I really had to go, so I went up and asked her again if I could please be excused as I really needed to go, and again she refused and yelled at me to go back to my desk.
I sat at my desk holding it as long as I could, but eventually I ended up peeing in my pants, and slowly a small puddle appeared under my desk.
Other kids sitting next to me saw this, and were whispering to each other, and pointing at the puddle...while I sat in my chair with tears streaming down my face.
The good hearted, and godly sister never allowed me to get up, and clean myself, she just let me sit there....at one point she left the room (She called my mom to come bring me clean clothes)
While the sweet, loving nun was out of the classroom the other kids teased me unmercifully...all I could do was sit there crying in embarrassment...finally I saw my mother's car pull up outside, and then the Saintly Sister told me I could be excused.
I ran out to the hallway into the arms of my mother, and eventually told her what happened. She was not pleased and I don't know exactly what she said to the Sister, butt I never had any issues after being excused from going to the restroom.

I'm sure Sister Geraldine is sitting in heaven now smiling down at me. Blessed be her kind heart.
Amen.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I thought I read:
Weird, butt.
Cool stuff.

Jeez, this is a horrible story. How traumatic! It's a wonder you aren't some twisted psychopathic .... oh, wait.

billy rubin

i dont believe in evil but the betrayal of children and animals is as close as i can think of.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on February 22, 2022, 12:09:53 AM
i dont believe in evil but the betrayal of children and animals is as close as i can think of.

I agree with you 100% on that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 22, 2022, 03:18:08 AM

I agree with you 100% on that.

Indeed.

Tank

Agreed.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Somehow this thread seems the appropriate spot for the malignant folderol below. Good old-fashioned bone-headed performatively puritanical American prudery.  :eagletear:

"Assistant principal fired for reading students a children's book called 'I Need a New Butt!'" | Salon

QuoteThe assistant principal of a school in Mississippi was fired for reading what administrators thought was an inappropriate book to second graders – a concerning development amid the Republican-backed effort to purge "objectionable" books from school shelves.

The events leading up to the incident reportedly began on March 2, when Toby Price, the assistant principal of the Gary Road Elementary School in the Hinds County School District, organized a Zoom event to have a special guest read a book to a group of second graders.

When that guest did not arrive, The Washington Post reported, Price was told he could read the students a book of his own choosing. He chose "I Need a New Butt!" written by Dawn McMillan and illustrated by Ross Kinnaird.

"It's a funny, silly book," Price, 46, told the Post. "I'm a firm believer that ... if kids see that books can be funny and silly, they'll hang around long enough to see all the other cool things that books can be."

By Price's account, the students found the book "hilarious" – but the same could not be said for the school's administrative staff. Fifteen minutes after the reading, Price was reportedly called into the principal's office, where he was scolded by the principal for selecting McMillan's beloved book.

"They kind of just let me have it," Price told the Post. "She said, 'Is this the kind of thing you find funny and silly? Fart and butt and bulletproof butts?' And I said, 'Yeah, I did until I walked in.'"

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

^^^  :lol:
...The book, which has a suggested age range of four to ten years old, centers on a young boy looking to replace his bottom because he "has a huge crack in it."

This ain't right. It wasn't even the kids or the parents who complained about the book.

Dark Lightning

:lol: My kids would have been laughing like crazy.