Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

what'ss for dinner?

Started by billy rubin, December 29, 2020, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

is there a what's for dinnerthread?

tonight is fried plantains

scored some plantains a week or two ago at the grocery, today they were so black and shriveled that i said maybe i waited too long

not so!

they were perfect. i told my number two5o daughter to eat them now because plantains don't keep, but she said to put in th erefrigerator and she would eat them later.

they won't last. it's almost sundown and the teenage boys will wake up soon. that will be th eend of them
i am all plantained out

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

In my situation I just have to imagine what is flowing into my stomach. Tonight is barbecue ribs, a baked potato with all the trimmings, corn on the cob with lots of butter, a tossed salad, and a Guinness to wash it all down.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Braised chicken "tenderloins" (some kind of parts of breasts, I'm guessing) from CostCo, and a vegetable mix zorched in the microwave. Satisfactory as gut-fill.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Caesar salad
Lobster Bisque
Lobster Rolls
French Fries

Randy

Tonight I'm pretending to have onion soup, a salad, and crab legs and keep them coming.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i got soba for christmas

so when i got home i chpped up some garlic and ginger and thai chilis and braised them in a little olive oil

then i threw some of the soba into water and boiled it

excelent

tomorrow i'll chop some green onions and make some soba with some horseradish

no wasabi in appalachia

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on January 03, 2021, 01:29:09 AM
i got soba for christmas

so when i got home i chpped up some garlic and ginger and thai chilis and braised them in a little olive oil

then i threw some of the soba into water and boiled it

excelent

tomorrow i'll chop some green onions and make some soba with some horseradish

no wasabi in appalachia
I'll have to look up soba. I've never heard of it before now. I may not be able to eat but that hasn't curbed my culinary inquisition.

Sandra Craft

Love fried plantains, haven't had them in years.  Really must find a local restaurant who does them and order some, they must be somewhere close by -- this is an international city, after all!

In the meantime, I'm finishing up the leftovers from my New Year's feast of Chinese noodles with assorted veg.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

billy rubin

for breakfast on my day off

pour some olive oil in cast iron pan on medium heat let it get hot

throw in some chopped raw almonds

four five medium mushrooms sliced

let sit a minute

add half a green pepper chpped

a buch of rainbow chaard chopped

spread the chard over everythoing and weight it all down wih an undersize heavy iron lid

three or four minutes

take it all out and toss with some coarse sea salt and lime juice

takes less time to make than th ecoffee thats brewing at the same tuime

when the coffee cup is empty open a corona

billy rubin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 04, 2021, 02:48:37 AM
Love fried plantains, haven't had them in years.  Really must find a local restaurant who does them and order some, they must be somewhere close by -- this is an international city, after all!

In the meantime, I'm finishing up the leftovers from my New Year's feast of Chinese noodles with assorted veg.

sandra, you can do it at the house. basic ones are easy

buy some plantains and put em up on a shelf until they turn completely black and dry up and you say i'll have to throw those away tomorrow

take em down and slit the skins lengthways on two sides so you can peel them without them coming all apart

right about now put a half or three quarter inch of oil in a pan and start it heating up.

roll th e peeledplantains in wheat flour so you can cutem without them sticking to stuff, then slice

get a mixing bowl and throw in a couple double handfuls of wheat flour

put in a double handful of yellow corn meal

put in some salt, some paprika, some red pepper or chopped dried chilis if you have any

a handful of whit esugar. anything else you might think is interesting from the spice tub

add enough milk to make a thick batter very sticky but not so thick that the plantains come apart when you stir them in

throw in some plaintains and stir em around until theyre covered

by this time the oil is hot so throw th ebattered plantains in and let them brown one side
use a pancake turner underneath to turn them over to brown th eother side. slip the turner underneath to keep th eplatains from sticking to the pan too and you can cut down on th eoil and still get them deep fried

make the oil pretty hot so the bater sears and seals the plaintains up and then they won't absorb th eoil very much

take them out and drain them on a plate with some paper towels while you throw in the next ones.

if yuo have any batter left over make fritters with it

you can do this with bananas too but personally im not a sugar person and so bananas are too sweet for me.

billy rubin

Quote from: Randy on January 03, 2021, 03:20:28 PM
I'll have to look up soba. I've never heard of it before now. I may not be able to eat but that hasn't curbed my culinary inquisition.

japanese buckwheat noodles. my korean brother in law showed me the city way to do it

get some soba noodles and cook them in boiling water. they cook quickly

take themout and drain them put em in a bowl

squirt in some wasabi paste and some some ginger paste from those tubes of the stuff you can buy sometimes.

eat cold

this is a great summer food

alternatively you can leave them in some of the starchy water and stir in some miso with some chopped green onions

billy rubin

shit i sound like julia child this morning

time for the beer

Randy

I used to refer Guinness as a meal in a can or bottle. It's heavy.

Icarus

Some really yummy bread that you can bake at home. Easy to do.  This is a no kneading bread made from stuff you may already have in the kitchen.

One pound all purpose flour
Two teaspoons salt
three quarter teaspoon dry Yeast  (Comes in those cute little packets)
One and a half cups of warm water (aim for about 105 degrees, no hotter than that)

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly
Add the warm water and mix with your hands.....It is messy. 
You will have a sticky mess, shape it into a ball.
Cover the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel or other clean cloth.

Put the bowl aside for 6 to 8 hours.  The yeast will do its thing.
Remove the mess that has probably doubled in size
Fold it over itself four or five times, replace in bowl and cover again.
After about 30 minutes heat the oven to 450F.  Heat your dutch oven in the oven for about 30 minutes more.
it needs to get up to the 450 degree more or less.

Place the ball of dough on a parchment paper and use it as a sling to lower the sticky stuff into the hot dutch oven.
Cover and put into the oven for 30 minutes.  Remove the cover and bake another 15 minutes.

Remove from container and parchment and place on a wire cooling rack. The interior temp of the bread should be about 210.
Let it cool for at least 10 minutes and then take a slice, slather with butter, Yum Yum.........
Damn this is good bread.  It is crusty, tastes great, will probably make you gain weight but it's worth the risk.

Sandy, you may be able to get prepared plantains at your super market.  A popular brand name is Goya. They make plantains easy as they are already fried.  You simply put them in the oven or a frying pan to heat them. No messy hot oil to deal with.  Look for the bright yellow and red package in the freezer section of your market.