News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Worldwide Mass Protests

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 08, 2020, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Whether all mass protests actually bring about enduring social change or not is a debatable issue, but the fact is, "they" woke the sleeping giant, and the momentum several movements around the world have gained will take some time to die down. I hope they don't die down. "They", the powerful, must remember with whom real power lies.

Brazilian, American...doesn't matter. I'm watching these protests with great interest. It's a beautiful thing, hundreds, thousands, even millions of non coerced people marching for one goal, be it racial equality, end to police brutality or democracy. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Racial equality.

In Brazil, there was a recent case which sparked some racially charged tension. A black woman, maid who worked for a white woman, left the apartment on some errand for her boss and left her son behind under her boss's care. The six year old boy fell from the ninth floor to his death.   

There was some media coverage, but not of any significant movement regarding how this case was handled. Let's face it though, people post in anger on their social media, but whenever the poorer, black population come down from the hills and slums to burn a couple of tyres on the streets to protest how they are treated there is an uproar from the same middle class online social justice warriors because those burning tyres blocked their road.

End to police brutality.

In Brazil, the number of deaths caused by the police spiked. Most of these deaths are of black people. Just a few weeks ago, an innocent 16 year old boy was killed in his own home during a police raid. His name added to the hundreds of black people who are killed every year by police and put in some justice limbo.   

Democracy.

In the US, it's likely Trump will not get re-elected because of the way he handled the pandemic, police brutality issues and mass protests. I hope with all my heart he doesn't. I'm not an American but the strange platonic bromance the president of Brazil has with Trump will become undone when the Orangutan is booted from the White House. I strongly believe it is in the interest of people worldwide that Trump not be re-elected. 

Unlike north Americans, Brazilian people act like they've forgotten the power they have. The people are still sleeping. Granted, there is the pandemic issue which really puts a dent in any plans to summon mass pro-democracy protests (political opposition parties are mostly asking people not to go to the streets because we're still ascending on the steep contamination curve). Some brae few are going anyway. There are clashes with police and vandalism. The shithead fascist president hides in his presidential palace, probably trying to figure out how to get the army on the streets to quell the anti-government movements.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

It will never change, not as long as humans exist.

billy rubin

youre right. the more things change the more it stays the same.  it cycles, though.

currently we may be beginning a good cycle. there is movement to rethink policing in some american cities, especially minneapolis.

the warrior model we use now is pretty distasteful.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

There is talk in Minneapolis about defunding and dismantling the police. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I'm curious that's all. I fear that they may make things worse. Granted, I have my own reasons for distrusting the police. But the whole "throwing the baby out with the bath water" idea comes to mind.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Think of all the poor doughnut shops, what will happen to them?

Tom62

I think that you should not defund the police but to demilitarize the police. Part of the money saved should go to better police training. Maybe another part should go to community services. Would be nice to see the police doing social work in poorer neighbourhoods. They could for example help young black kids to stay away from crime; help old folks cross the roads; etc. etc.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on June 08, 2020, 05:49:44 PM

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

uzed to be that police lived in the neighborhoods they worked in. beat cops were local. they knew people, people knew them.

that has changed. cops now just get called to an emergency randomly during their shift.  one reason is that they afent usually paid enough to live in the citiez they work in.

i remember when oakland california tried to pasz a requirement that police and fire crews had to live in the city. it ended when they realized that they couldnt afford the pay required for oakland housing.

typically in the bay area police, fire crews, and prison guards live az far az 100 miles out in tbe central valley. they commute to the cities at tbe beginning of their week, live in city-funded apartments while they work, and then commute home for their weekends.

four or five live per apartment. fire crews live at tbe station.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on June 08, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
There is talk in Minneapolis about defunding and dismantling the police. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I'm curious that's all. I fear that they may make things worse. Granted, I have my own reasons for distrusting the police. But the whole "throwing the baby out with the bath water" idea comes to mind.

Here's a video with some good alternatives if we're thinking about defunding and dismantling the police.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

I'm definitely behind demilitarizing the police, and doing some strict changing of policies and weeding out bad (or even questionable) cops, just for a start.

The whole defunding thing I'm going to be watching with interest.  As I understand it, that means taking a lot of non-police work that's been put on the polices' plate off of it, along with the money for it, and reallocating those funds to an organization that deals more directly with that problem.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

Several years ago, a city called Camden, New Jersey, defunded and dismantled their police force and rebuilt it. The homicide rate has decreased by 63%.

From Wikipedia:
QuoteThen-chief Scott Thomson saw it as a way to "hit the reset button" and completely change how policing worked in Camden; he characterized the city force at the time as "apathetic, lethargic and corrupt". He envisioned transforming how Camden officers saw themselves from "Warrior" to "Guardian."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_County_Police_Department
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: No one on June 08, 2020, 05:49:44 PM

They'll thrive. The ex-cops will have lots of time on their hands and doughnuts are cheap.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Heh, I have a friend who is a retired cop. Whenever he starts in about how engineers are on the Asperger's spectrum, I start in with the donuts. He seldom does it, now. Though to hear him tell it, it's only for the coffee, because if they gain too much weight, it's tougher to do the job. At least in his case, I guess.

Tom62

They want to rebrand the Aunt Jemima brand, due to perceived racism. Well, I had a look at the ingredient list of Aunt Jemima Syrup, and in my option they should not rebrand but ban it, due health safety reasons.

INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein