News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

In other Fake News, or "Well, if McCartney says so..."

Started by Asmodean, April 15, 2020, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

"McCartney rails against China," Norway's largest paper writes. Ok... Let's hear the thunder!

Link to my source's source (Howard Stern)

Quote from: SourceHoward and Paul also spent a couple minutes discussing wet markets in China, which recently re-opened despite the fact many believe the coronavirus originated there. "I really hope that this will mean that the Chinese government ... will say, 'Okay guys, we really got to get super hygienic around here,' you know?" McCartney said, suggesting it might help if celebrities like him and Howard spoke out about what was happening. "They might as well be, you know, letting off atomic bombs because this is affecting the whole world," he added.

Oh! When did polite criticism become synonymous with railing against something?

I do agree about the Chinese bats-and-dogs-and-creepy-crawlies markets to a degree - I don't think they should close, necessarily, but there ought to be some food safety standards which seem to be absent today. Still, this thread is not really about that - it's an example of click-baiting by misrepresentation. I'm sure there are a lot of people who for some reason care about a musician's opinion on such matters - such is the (now somewhat crumbling) cult of celebrity - but me, I was baited into clicking on that thing (My local source - the original is actually good. Nothing but respect.) in search of some spiciness, what to brighten my day with. Mission failed in disappointment.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

I am highly suspicious that the Chinese had a purpose to this deal. I don't suppose they did it on purpose but after it got underway applied the Marxist/fascist concepts to it---never let a good crisis go to waste. Considering the way the WHO  on behalf of the
Chinese seems to create a slowdown to the spread of the disease. Being a student of logic it looks that logic of the WHO went out to lunch on this. Or, The guy in charge of the WHO isn't up on logical thought processes. I might be over expressive of the concept to much but, logic dictates what is/was, and what is/was not.
What the Chinese would gain is info on how, how fast, what was done to counteract it, how effective the counter action was and, any other knowledge that could be useful.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Asmodean

The more conspiratorially-minded individuals claim that WHO is itself a Communist organization. I've read that China did some lobbying to get their current leader appointed... But honestly, even if all true, I think the greater problem is it being a transnational entity with no real power or influence where and when it matters. Probably a good thing, too.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on April 15, 2020, 11:45:52 AM
I do agree about the Chinese bats-and-dogs-and-creepy-crawlies markets to a degree - I don't think they should close, necessarily, but there ought to be some food safety standards which seem to be absent today.

I've been reading that the only way to decrease epidemics and pandemics is for humans to go full vegan.  That may be true but I don't see it happening.

QuoteStill, this thread is not really about that - it's an example of click-baiting by misrepresentation. I'm sure there are a lot of people who for some reason care about a musician's opinion on such matters - such is the (now somewhat crumbling) cult of celebrity - but me, I was baited into clicking on that thing (My local source - the original is actually good. Nothing but respect.) in search of some spiciness, what to brighten my day with. Mission failed in disappointment.

Yeah, I don't even pay attention to headlines any more, which makes me concerned that I might be missing something otherwise good.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, no, sorry...McCartney may be a great musician and all but how many Chinese actually care what an outsider has to say about changing their traditions?

Would anyone care, for that matter? :notsure:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 15, 2020, 11:59:13 PM
Yeah, I don't even pay attention to headlines any more, which makes me concerned that I might be missing something otherwise good.
I doubt it. If it's important or actually interesting, it is likely to find a way to reach you somehow. Maybe late, but it probably will.

Trouble is, this was just a small and rather innocent example of a clickbait title. When the content behind the title misleads for added sensationalism, drama or flare, that can be... Not as innocent, and it happens all too often in a media economy where immediate attention is more important than talent and "good journalism" is just too slow for it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 15, 2020, 11:59:13 PM
I've been reading that the only way to decrease epidemics and pandemics is for humans to go full vegan.  That may be true but I don't see it happening.
I wonder how effective that would be. OK, people may stop eating goats and getting infected that way. Still, there are many other things a enterprising individual can do a goat...  :o

That said, it's a variation of freedom vs safety argument. As such, it's probably no surprise that a lot of people in the "civilized" world are in the freedom camp, being more willing to accept the associated risks than give up the associated freedoms for increased safety.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.