News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

why should you respect others beliefs?

Started by quizlixx, November 11, 2008, 05:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messenger

The concept of religion respect contradicts with religion itself

If you have a religion X it means by default that religion B is fault, not only that it is a crime against your God
So respect is out of question here

But if you want other people to discuss your religion politely, you should do the same for them

Many people think that religion is like race or skin color or sex, they are mistaken, all of those things are not by choice, but religion is!

suntzu

The most ludicrous idea I have heard here is that you should respect others beliefs because if you don't "you are as bad as they are."  What a crock of crap.  When somebody comes to your door and tries to convert you to their religion you should make every attempt to destroy their faith.  If you are polite, they never question anything, and head to the next house and maybe get one more for their team.  Outspoken religious people should get the same token of respect you would give someone who claimed to be psychic or alien abducted.  Your first words should be, "your an idiot."  This should be followed by mocking laughter.

On a more serious note.  Sometimes you might have to take action.  For example, lets say you're a volunteer crossing guard at an elementary school.  A car runs the intersection and hits a girl who happens to be part of a Christian Scientist family.  If her parents aren't there to refuse treatment would you put her in an ambulance?  I would.  If her parents were there and said no, would you allow them to let their child bleed out on the street?  I would fight like hell to get that kid to a hospital.  Screw their beliefs!  Idiocy should not be able to hide behind faith or "belief."

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "suntzu"The most ludicrous idea I have heard here is that you should respect others beliefs because if you don't "you are as bad as they are."  What a crock of crap.  When somebody comes to your door and tries to convert you to their religion you should make every attempt to destroy their faith.  If you are polite, they never question anything, and head to the next house and maybe get one more for their team.  Outspoken religious people should get the same token of respect you would give someone who claimed to be psychic or alien abducted.  Your first words should be, "your an idiot."  This should be followed by mocking laughter.

My wife doesn't like me doing that.

Quote from: "suntzu"On a more serious note.  Sometimes you might have to take action.  For example, lets say you're a volunteer crossing guard at an elementary school.  A car runs the intersection and hits a girl who happens to be part of a Christian Scientist family.  If her parents aren't there to refuse treatment would you put her in an ambulance?  I would.  If her parents were there and said no, would you allow them to let their child bleed out on the street?  I would fight like hell to get that kid to a hospital.  Screw their beliefs!  Idiocy should not be able to hide behind faith or "belief."

I absolutely agree.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Whitney

I think we should be respectful of other people by approaching discussions about religion in a civil manner.  Plus, being an asshole will make them not want to listen to what you have to say.  Like that old saying...you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

suntzu

laetusatheos,

I understand the desire for civil and respectful conversation.  However, I look into history and see that there is very little precedent for it being effective.  For example, look at the plight of Native American during the development of this country.  Many of their beliefs about democracy and government were factored into our own constitution by the founding fathers.  They taught us how to farm and survive on the North American continent.  Then at every turn we took advantage of them.  We pushed them off their land, moved them countless times, and ultimately destroyed what once had been a great civilization.  All through this persecution many nations tried, respectfully, to right the wrongs done against them using our own system of justice to do so.  There are cases where they would sue in court under our laws with legitimate claims only to have their cases thrown out because they weren't white Americans.  This was their technique for centuries until they were devastated to the point where it didn't matter anymore.  My point is that trying to "catch more flies with honey" or being "respectful" is only effective if your enemy sees you as an equal.  Theists, do not consider us to be their equals.  They think we are fools who just don't get it.

The reality is that we are superior to the theists, at least in ideology.  Theists beliefs don't deserve respect, they deserve ridicule.  We must make religion like racism.  Children should be embarrassed of the attitudes their parents hold concerning religion.  People should check to make sure no one is looking before they bow their head in idiotic prayer.  

As for this forum, I will stifle my rage and deal with theists in a respectful manner.  However, while I will treat theists respectfully, I will show nothing but disdain and contempt for the dog and pony show that they call faith.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "suntzu"The reality is that we are superior to the theists, at least in ideology.  Theists beliefs don't deserve respect, they deserve ridicule.  We must make religion like racism.  Children should be embarrassed of the attitudes their parents hold concerning religion.  People should check to make sure no one is looking before they bow their head in idiotic prayer.  

Dude! Quiet down! You're going to give away the whole secret plan!  ;)
-Curio

Tom62

Quote from: "Darth Vader"Yes, yes... I can feel your anger
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

Quote from: "suntzu"The reality is that we are superior to the theists, at least in ideology.  Theists beliefs don't deserve respect, they deserve ridicule.  We must make religion like racism.  Children should be embarrassed of the attitudes their parents hold concerning religion.  People should check to make sure no one is looking before they bow their head in idiotic prayer.  .

While I understand your frustrations.  All the above would accomplish is essentially making us the white man and everyone else the ignored Native Americans.

QuoteAs for this forum, I will stifle my rage and deal with theists in a respectful manner.  However, while I will treat theists respectfully, I will show nothing but disdain and contempt for the dog and pony show that they call faith

All I ask is that you approach the conversations in a civil manner by avoiding personal attacks or unnecessarily combative language; that's how the rules are intended to define respectful.  It doesn't mean you can't express your opinion of the religion itself or rip their arguments into tiny pieces.  We're not asking you to respect religion.

athiest12

i respect the person just not the religion. i always express how i feel about their ludicrous faith in a god but my friends are all god -loving people who keep trying to convert me to their faith thinking i'm vulnerable because i'm athiest. so someitmes we get into heated debates. most often its best to keep your opinion to yourself in those situations. but i prefer to express myself  :D