News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

the unexplainable emotion

Started by 4DeepThought2, January 05, 2009, 05:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4DeepThought2

No I am not speaking of love....right now I am having this feeling that is almost inconcievable. I was, before I got this feeling pondering the universe, and all of sudden felt its undying inspiration, mystery, awe, and beauty. Basically I am experiencing the splendor of our universe and how humbling it is and how lucky I feel to be in such a universe. I know I sound like I am smoking pot, but no I am not and have not. Has anyone else had this feeling of inspiration and wonder when considering the mystery of our existence and the vastness of reality and how reality is so complex and how amazing it is that life has sprouted in this wonderful earth? This is not to mention that are universe may just be one of thousands of sub universes and realities..... Quantum mechanics and a little bit of imagination go a long way... How wonderful it would be if I could die in space before the the errupting sun.... It is feelings like these that prove life is worth much and how theists are utterly wrong in say atheism provides a meaningless life. Oh grande universe...... How human emotion and music mix to provide such a high in the sense of enjoying you and our life.

DeepThought
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

Kylyssa

Wechtlein Uns

Sounds to me like you're infatuated with your worldview. Catholic priests get the same emotion towards the eucharist. The feeling almost inevitably doesn't last. Never does.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Recusant

Jaded, a bit?    I wouldn't call it infatuation.  Intoxication, maybe, and a understandable response to the incredible place we find ourselves in.   Of course the intensity of that moment does not last.  If it did, you would never get much done.  That does not make it any less meaningful, and the experience can have a lasting effect on a person.  And it can happen more than once.  I think similar 'mystical' experiences have led many to believe in gods, because they had no other way to explain them.  We are lucky to live in an age which allows us the knowledge to make a more reasonable interpretation of such experiences, which I think are a natural part of being human.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Wraitchel

I think this is one of the things that deists fail to understand about atheists. We don't lose a bit of the magic and mystery in our world view. In fact, for me, I was more awed by reality than I ever was by god.

BadPoison

When looking upon the wonders of this world and taking in it's majesty, how does it not cheapen the experience to missplace your awe in magic?

4DeepThought2

That is an amazing video..Pale Blue Dot. I do not feel that I am obsessed because our existence is not always as beautiful as it seems and I regain my bearings shortly after this feeling. It has happened many times, and it is certainly nothing supernatural, but more a simple feeling of wonder. The previous post was saturated with, as one said above, infatuation which gave the wrong impression. This certainly is not my "world view" if I even have such a constant, but more a an emotion that expresses my love for our universe. The post I made sounds like a child first experiencing Xbox or some other electronic device; I apologize for its dramatization...it was unnecassary and childish to put it frankly.

PS: This feeling was partiallty invoked by music...
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

Wechtlein Uns

Lemme guess, "Sweet Dreams", by pink floyd?

I once started a philosophy one. I called it "postfloyd". It didn't get too far.  roflol
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

4DeepThought2

Actually Sound Tribe Sector 9: Peace Blaster Album. It is ironic you would mention Pinky Floyd though because I was wearing the "Wish You Were Here" shirt today.